• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yes, another exhaust question

EJL127

Reaction score
Visit site
I've searched all the posts and still think my situation is semi unique. Purchased a 13' NC700 with 88,000 miles < ---- yes 88K, with original exhaust. The header is rusted real bad and no way to know if the system is working properly with those miles but I think so. Seems to sound fine, run fine, but I have nothing to compare to, my first NC. This is a semi budget friendly restoration project. Appearance wise I'd like to replace the header but I've either found new systems with only a de-cat, or just as crappy OEM headers on ebay. From reading here, a full system can actually lose power. In addition, sound wise, I would like to add an end can to make the bike sound a bit better, not necessarily louder. So technically I want a full system but not really with a de-cat if that makes things worse. So, what are my options?

When you say “header”, what do you mean? The exhaust outlet at the cylinder head transitions almost immediately to the catalytic converter. Are there holes in the tubing, or just external cosmetic concerns?

It’s my experience that the cat discolors quickly early in the bike’s age. Even if you found a new catalytic converter it would discolor quickly. We have not had a report here of a failed “header”, and some bikes have gone over 100,000 miles.

When you say “header”, what do you mean? The exhaust outlet at the cylinder head transitions almost immediately to the catalytic converter. Are there holes in the tubing, or just external cosmetic concerns?

It’s my experience that the cat discolors quickly early in the bike’s age. We have not had a report here of a failed “header”, and some bikes have gone over 100,000 miles. It’s probably nothing to worry about.
Yes, the exhaust outlet. Thanks for the feedback. It’s not discoloring but serious rust. Makes me concerned about the internals. But agree with your assessment as the bike runs fine.

Afaik that header with its built in cat is stainless. At worst as suggested above it will discolour. If it is rusty then perhaps its not original. If it is original then there is always the possibility that the "rust" is just burned on road dirt because that area of the exhaust gets very hot. My suggestion is to take it off and try cleaning it when You might find a reasonably good surface underneath.

I have seen folks use various aftermarket silencers in conjunction with the OEM header, with no apparent issues. Afaik most of the business of the exhaust system on the bike is carried out in the header. However perhaps someone else could clarify further on that aspect.

If it ain’t broken ... keep fixing it until it is!
Seriously, in your post you say the bike is running fine so be careful you don’t upset that balance. Regular oil changes are important but 88k miles ain’t that uncommon on an NC.

Back