• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yamaha Just Killed the R6

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site

The End of an Era​

Yamaha has killed the WR250R, VMAX, and most importantly, the iconic R6 from their 2021 lineup. This may come as a big surprise to many, but I can assure you that the legendary R6 will be missing from Yamaha’s 2021 lineup.

We all know and love the R6, it’s a ratty, sporty motorcycle that is most known for competing with the Honda CBR 600RR and Kawasaki ZX-6R. How could the brand remove such a ‘staple’ of their brand from the market? How did we get here?

2020 Yamaha R6 Action Shot

The R6 was an important bike in the 2020 Yamaha lineup, allowing new and intermediate riders the opportunity to get on a high-end ‘track’ bike without being stuck on an extremely underwhelming R3, or a face-melting 200+ horsepower R1. Sure, there are options available with Yamaha’s naked motorcycle lineup, namely the MT-07 and MT-09… But in many cases some riders just want a traditional “crotch rocket” and the R6 fills that common ground between underpowered and overpowered.

Yamaha hasn’t said anything specific regarding this cut. “Yamaha understands the iconic history of these models. Regarding the future, Yamaha is continuously looking at new ideas and concepts to support and expand the market, as well as enhance our customers’ experiences” is what they had to say in their official release.

2020 Yamaha R6

It’s very possible that the Euro 5 Regulations threw a wrench in the release schedule for the R6, and they may have to take the design back to the drawing board. It’s also a possibility that they might be planning an MT-07 based full-fairing supersport bike, much like the highly successful GSX-R750.

For now, we have no way to say what the exact plan is until Yamaha decides to shed some light on the subject. Regardless, you can kiss your 2021 R6 dreams goodbye and cross your fingers for a 2022 R6 or R7 (MT-07 engine derived).

The post Yamaha Just Killed the R6 appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

I wouldn't say they were "killed" because models often drop off a manufacturer's offering for a year or two then sometimes come back.

My guess is that they have plenty of those deleted models in crates so why continue to make even more?

If it wasn't such an expensive and rare little beast then for me the WR would be the most missed from that group. At a time when I was in the market for one they couldn't be got over here so I got the CRF instead. Maybe fate took a hand ;)

Remember back in the day when Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha updated their supersports every two years chasing 2 more horsepower and 2 lbs less weight? I remember the year Yamaha announced the 17,000 rpm rev limiter R6. Meh, Supersports are dead and have been since the great recession. They have been on life support over here for 10 years. No young rider can afford the insurance for a financed bike and what young rider has $12,000 cash for a 180 mph toy?

That's why the NC was so brilliant in 2011. The first engine in years that was designed around the premise of efficiency and low operating costs, sporting volumetric efficiency instead of the 600cc race replica sporting titanium exhaust valves 5 grams lighter than the previous model. The bike for 85% of the riding most riders do.

dduelin - you hit the nail on the head! Astronomical insurance premiums drove the ultra-fast sport bikes into the cellar and those insurance costs were especially bad for young men under 25.

Back