• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wiring Heated Gear

Penguinsfan82

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I took the plunge and bought my first pieces of heated gear-gloves. They came with the battery pigtail, which I attached and ran out the bottom of the battery compartment, then up to each side of the handle bars. Is that the proper way to run the wiring? I left plenty of slack to allow for arm movement, but not sure if I should have run the wire elsewhere. Any thoughts?

I run mine my battery tender pigtail right out the top of the frunk and close the lid. My first gear Warm and safe jacket liner plugs into a controller which I hang on my jacket (basically a rheostat that controls the amount of juice going to the wires in the jacket liner, hence the amount of heat) and the controller plugs into the battery tender pigtail. If I had a tank bag I'd hook the controller on the tank bag which is what I have done on all my other bikes. I have and can plug heated glove liners into the jacket (also controlled by the controller) but I prefer heated grips.

I don't think it matters where you run the wires as long as its convenient and you can reach them for plugging and controlling

I run mine my battery tender pigtail right out the top of the frunk and close the lid. My first gear Warm and safe jacket liner plugs into a controller which I hang on my jacket (basically a rheostat that controls the amount of juice going to the wires in the jacket liner, hence the amount of heat) and the controller plugs into the battery tender pigtail. If I had a tank bag I'd hook the controller on the tank bag which is what I have done on all my other bikes. I have and can plug heated glove liners into the jacket (also controlled by the controller) but I prefer heated grips.

I don't think it matters where you run the wires as long as its convenient and you can reach them for plugging and controlling
Yeah, that's the way I connect heated gear also. If I'm not connecting to a Jacket Liner or a Vest then I run the connecting cable through my jacket and then out the sleeves to the gloves. Yes, I wore my jacket liner & gloves this morning as it was under *40F here in SE Missouri. I also like my heated grips as they're always on the bike and can't be left or forgotten at home.

As regards the "controller" that makes the heat adjustable in jacket & gloves, I don't think they use a rheostat, at least mine doesn't.

What I found is that the controller adjusts temp by applying a pulsing current. I checked this myself a long time ago by using a VOM and saw the numbers jump back and forth, with the frequency of the jumps being adjustable via the heat control knob. The current always stayed the same and only the length of the pause was changing.

As regards the "controller" that makes the heat adjustable in jacket & gloves, I don't think they use a rheostat, at least mine doesn't.

What I found is that the controller adjusts temp by applying a pulsing current. I checked this myself a long time ago by using a VOM and saw the numbers jump back and forth, with the frequency of the jumps being adjustable via the heat control knob. The current always stayed the same and only the length of the pause was changing.
Technically correct.. rheostat was just a word I used to convey that if you turn the knob further you get more heat, turn it less you get less heat.

I'm not sure if someone told me they had a pulsing current control box that I would have understood what that meant lol.

I run the harness connector out from under the left front edge of the seat. Gloves connect to the jacket at the wrists. For a long time I used a Gerbings dual circuit controller clipped to my jacket or suit on the left chest where my left hand easily reached it. If my gear didn’t have a handy place I’d sew a piece of webbing there. Last spring I treated myself to a new Warm N Safe gen 4 jacket with a remote wireless dual controller which on the NC I clip onto the Ram X Grip on the left bar holding the phone. Heated grips good, heated grips + gloves mo better.

oooh a wireless remote would be NICE. I didn't even know they made such a thing lol. When my current jacket quits I'll have to look into that.

I’ve got the same wireless remote as Dave - came with my Warm n Safe jacket liner. Very nice. Added the gloves a month later because the jacket was so good. I’ve had heated grips from the start, but the heated gloves warm your whole hand, not just frying your palms!
I run my pigtail out the top of the left fake vent.

Thanks for all the great advice. I like the idea of connecting the gloves to the heated jacket sleeves, but, like all things in life, present state is dictated by time and budget. At nearly $180, the heated gloves blew my fun budget for a while, so no heated jacket in my near future :) My main concern was with having dangling cables, tying myself to the handlebars, getting tangled up....all overly worried I am sure.

As for the heated grips, I considered that route for the sake of convenience, but I didn't think the grips would do enough to keep the back of hands warm in the wind. Gloves do the trick.

Thanks for all the great advice. I like the idea of connecting the gloves to the heated jacket sleeves, but, like all things in life, present state is dictated by time and budget. At nearly $180, the heated gloves blew my fun budget for a while, so no heated jacket in my near future :) My main concern was with having dangling cables, tying myself to the handlebars, getting tangled up....all overly worried I am sure.

As for the heated grips, I considered that route for the sake of convenience, but I didn't think the grips would do enough to keep the back of hands warm in the wind. Gloves do the trick.
If you want to connect the jacket at the wrists try a Y harness that runs the glove connectors down inside the sleeves of your jacket. I think I might have one I’m not using anymore. I’ll look for it.

I’ve got the same wireless remote as Dave - came with my Warm n Safe jacket liner. Very nice. Added the gloves a month later because the jacket was so good. I’ve had heated grips from the start, but the heated gloves warm your whole hand, not just frying your palms!
I run my pigtail out the top of the left fake vent.
Correction - I bought a Venture Heat heated jacket then added their gloves a month later. The jacket already has the glove connectors at the wrist, so you just plug in the gloves, plug the jacket to the battery pigtail, and you’re good. The jacket came with the wireless remote.

Yea my glove liners plug directly into the connections at the wrists of my Warm N Safe jacket liner, but sometimes when I slip them off to do something like pay for gas with my credit card I feel like a toddler with my mittens connected to a cord thru my coat with them dangling there lol

If you want to connect the jacket at the wrists try a Y harness that runs the glove connectors down inside the sleeves of your jacket. I think I might have one I’m not using anymore. I’ll look for it.
Thanks! the gloves came with the Y connector cables, that's what I ran up from the bottom of the battery case to each hand grip area. I think it will be fine for now, until I invest in the heated jacket. Just wanted to make sure no one had any horror stories from wiring it up the way I did :)

28 degrees F this morning. A good morning for heated gear lol
Too cold for me! Was 48 in the Charlotte area this morning, usually I ride until 45 degrees, but the wind was nasty today. The ride in the Tundra was like a mini vacation :) Bought the truck new in 2017 and only has 25k miles...shows how much I prefer commuting on the bike. :)

LOL know the feeling. Bought my Honda Ridgeline new in 2010. It has 63,000 miles.
Haha, gotcha beat for low truck miles. I bought a new Ridgeline almost 5 years ago. Doesn’t quite have 20,000 miles on it yet. Pickup trucks seem so popular, so I thought I’d try one, but I don’t find it to be very useful or practical.

hmmm are garage queen trucks a thing?
Nothing can replace the utility of a pickup when you NEED it, but the need, at least for me, is not an every day occurrence. I need the Tundra for towing around my trailer full of the family's ATVs, moving a bike occasionally, hauling home improvement supplies. But, it really makes for a lousy commuter and that's where the NC comes into play. However, there are days when the plush drivers seat does have some appeal over the NC's saddle and I opt for 14 MPG instead of 72+.

Back