• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windshield

2 common types of vultures are the Turkey ( red head) and the Black headed vultures. Both carrion eaters but react to motorcycles in completely different ways. The red headed ones will fly off, (often when you are still a good piece away,) low and circling back to a road kill. The black headed ones are slow to leave and will hop or walk out of the way, taking flight at the last minute.

2 common types of vultures are the Turkey ( red head) and the Black headed vultures. Both carrion eaters but react to motorcycles in completely different ways. The red headed ones will fly off, (often when you are still a good piece away,) low and circling back to a road kill. The black headed ones are slow to leave and will hop or walk out of the way, taking flight at the last minute.
So those are 2 types of vultures. What’s a buzzard?

Yup

We have plenty of Turkey Vultures here. Had a flock? group? bunch? of them on the front lawn of the house one day just walking around on the lawn. I don't know why. My wife was scared to go outside. But my experience with Turkey Vultures is that they tend to move along when a human approaches. There was nothing dead there, they were not picking at anything. 6 to 8 of them. Didn't stay long. Ugly but darn impressive birds.

We have a few Red Tail Hawk nesting sites in our woods, love those birds. Amazing to see them dive for prey.

Used to have Bluebirds, Timberdoodles, Quail and Pheasants but one of the neighbors down the road decided to have porch cats, which bred and became feral. Fortunately a scoped rifle and coyotes tend to keep the feral cat population at bay, but not before they destroyed the songbird and game birds. The DNR should do more to encourage the culling of feral cats; an amazingly destructive non-native species that city people dump into rural lands.

Isn't this a motorcycle forum? :cool:

These buzzard impacts got me wondering. Where I live in midwestern USA, we don’t have buzzards, at least we don’t use that name. I looked up common buzzard, and it seems they don’t even live in North America. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_buzzard

I have hawks, turkey vultures, turkeys, eagles, and owls in my area. Maybe the term buzzard is used in the eastern and/or southern USA. So when you hit a buzzard, is it a vulture, a hawk, or something else? Not trying to nitpick, but since we apparently don’t have anything we call “buzzards” where I live, I just wanted to learn what is was.
670cc

Many times your comments lead to further inquiry by me and such is the case in the topic of "buzzards"...here's what I learned from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (www.myfwc.com) to the question as to whether there are buzzards in Florida:

" Are there buzzards in Florida?
Two species of vulture occur in Florida, the turkey vulture (Cathartes aura) and the black vulture (Coragyps atratus). Turkey vultures have reddish heads while the heads of black vultures are black. ... From below it has whitish patches near the tips of the wings, whereas the wings of the turkey vulture lack these patches."

I further found out that according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (05/12/2021) that "Vultures are state and federally protected as a migratory bird. That means it is illegal to harm or kill them without a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."

While the federal information gave me some moments to pause as to how federal authorities might interpret some of the recent postings of our members I clearly recall those postings noting that (eventually) the birds flew over their heads, so I figure, no harm no fowl (pun intended).

670cc

Many times your comments lead to further inquiry by me and such is the case in the topic of "buzzards"...here's what I learned from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (www.myfwc.com) to the question as to whether there are buzzards in Florida:

" Are there buzzards in Florida?
Two species of vulture occur in Florida, the turkey vulture (Cathartes aura) and the black vulture (Coragyps atratus). Turkey vultures have reddish heads while the heads of black vultures are black. ... From below it has whitish patches near the tips of the wings, whereas the wings of the turkey vulture lack these patches."

I further found out that according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (05/12/2021) that "Vultures are state and federally protected as a migratory bird. That means it is illegal to harm or kill them without a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service."

While the federal information gave me some moments to pause as to how federal authorities might interpret some of the recent postings of our members I clearly recall those postings noting that (eventually) the birds flew over their heads, so I figure, no harm no fowl (pun intended).
The past 2 years, farmers in Indiana have had issues with the black vultures. The black vultures have been killing calves. The farmers couldnt kill the vultures but now they can; they got the ok form the Fish and Wildlife if the vultures are killing their calves, boom....

The black headed vultures have really grown in numbers the last 5 years or so here in southern Ohio. They are very numerous now. Used to be they were very rare here. Turkey vultures have always been common.

Yup

We have plenty of Turkey Vultures here. Had a flock? group? bunch? of them on the front lawn of the house one day just walking around on the lawn.

If they're flying, it's a kettle. If they're just standing on the ground it's a committee. It's a wake if they're eating a carcass.
...in case anyone really cares...
(-:

These buzzard impacts got me wondering. Where I live in midwestern USA, we don’t have buzzards, at least we don’t use that name. I looked up common buzzard, and it seems they don’t even live in North America. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_buzzard

I have hawks, turkey vultures, turkeys, eagles, and owls in my area. Maybe the term buzzard is used in the eastern and/or southern USA. So when you hit a buzzard, is it a vulture, a hawk, or something else? Not trying to nitpick, but since we apparently don’t have anything we call “buzzards” where I live, I just wanted to learn what is was.
We always called vultures buzzards. There's turkey and black vultures around here, hope I never meet one!

Well I had this old Vetter Quicksilver windshield laying around and some free time so...

It is tall, extends 15.5 inches above the top mounting bolt.

View attachment 47041View attachment 47042View attachment 47043
The NC, at least 2012-2015 models, uses only expanding rubber well nuts to fix the shield to the bike and there have been issues with large tall windshields placing enough leverage on the well nuts to pull them out at speed. Early on a vendor fabricated and sold metal "nut plates" so the bolts had something substantial to thread into. I'd want to make sure the later models do not use well nuts.

Reactions: MZ5
Reactions: MZ5
The NC, at least 2012-2015 models, uses only expanding rubber well nuts to fix the shield to the bike and there have been issues with large tall windshields placing enough leverage on the well nuts to pull them out at speed. Early on a vendor fabricated and sold metal "nut plates" so the bolts had something substantial to thread into. I'd want to make sure the later models do not use well nuts.
Thanks for the heads up on the nuts. I'll keep an eye on it.

Back