• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windshield experiment.

Hank

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the Madstad off for the hot weather so I would get more air.
Works, but buffeting returned.
As an experiment, I tried two approaches.

1. No windshield. I liked it! Little buffeting, cooling air on body, great view of the road. It would grow fatiguing after an hour or so. Looks weird.

2. Bought a second OEM windshield on eBay. Cut it down and plastidipped the back.
Looks great, but the buffeting is actually worse. Higher pitched.
Ah, well. Here is how it looks. I was a little sloppy so it is not perfect looking. Figured I would save the detailing until after I tested it.

IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg

Having gone this far I may cut it down more to just a rectangle over the bolts.

A real plus of great windscreen coverage for me is that I don't have to clean bugs off my helmet screen or riding sunglasses nearly as often. Past a threshold temperature the wind probably no longer cools me anyway, even though I'm wearing armored mesh with mesh underlayer during hotter weather...

At one point I considered cutting a hole in the center of mine to see if it helped with the buffeting. I see that on numerous other bikes. Before I got a chance to try it, I lucked upon a Palmer Products Windshield Adapter that came with a used windshield I bought. For me, the buffeting went away completely when I changed the angle of the screen to be more vertical.

Yes, the Madstad eliminates the buffeting, but also keeps the air off me.
As long as the air temperature is a few degrees below body temperature the air cools you.
Above about ninety two nothing helps, especially if it is humid.

Last edited:
It amazes me to see all of the attempts, all the trial and errors, I have owned a lot of different bikes, I have hanged out at many different bikes forums, I never seen such a madness over wind issues...

And this not only affects the 700, the 500 owners are complaining just as loud...

I am cheap, I refused to make any huge investment just as a trial to fail, so I have just kept the stock and deal with the beating and the noise, as long as I stay under 50mph it is bearable, I just don't go on the highway.

It is such a shame because I really love the bike, today I rode it to work and on my way home I had to go deal with the Sharks at Cox cable.

It was such a joy to ride that bike in the middle of all that traffic with confidence, and once I got out of the city, it felt even better out on a small country stretch just before my house, I completely love this bike.

I want for the wind issue to go away :( I do not want to sell my bike :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It amazes me to see all of the attempts, all the trial and errors, I have owned a lot of different bikes, I have hanged out at many different bikes forums, I never seen such a madness over wind issues...

And this not only affects the 700, the 500 owners are complaining just as loud...

I am cheap, I refused to make any huge investment just as a trial to fail, so I have just kept the stock and deal with the beating and the noise, as long as I stay under 50mph it is bearable, I just don't go on the highway.

It is such a shame because I really love the bike, today I rode it to work and on my way home I had to go deal with the Sharks at Cox cable.

It was such a joy to ride that bike in the middle of all that traffic with confidence, and once I got out of the city, it felt even better out on a small country stretch just before my house, I completely love this bike.

I want for the wind issue to go away :( I do not want to sell my bike :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made my own with a $22 piece of Lexan from Home Depot. I recently added a $35 clip-on visor (from ebay). It's not perfect, but it's much better than the OEM windshield and also better than the Puig I used to have.

Lexan1.jpg

The buffeting noise on my NC700S drove me nuts. So I removed the windscreen. I eventually replaced it with a cut up helmet visor and the ride is much more peaceful now.

I was doing just fine with my Ermax touring screen plus cheap eBay Chinese add-on. Only wish it didn't break when the NC got blown over in the parking lot at the top of Logan Pass while I was out hiking. For now, back goes the stock screen. But a larger hardcoated Polycarbonate aftermarket screen is probably in my future. Gee, I wonder who makes such a thing.

Back