• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windshield choices

jspivy

Reaction score
Visit site
Short story... I've been out of riding for a couple years, change jobs, moved to Tulsa, got married, and have dusted off the nc700 to start riding regularly again. My wife picked up the Sena 30K radio kit but I can't hear her over the wind noise once I get to 45mph (I wear ear plugs and don't have the best hearing). From reading here and using Google, I've found:

Honda Tall windscreen - $169.95
National Cycle VStream+ - $227.95 - $267.95
Puig - $135.74
Madstad - $249.95 - $289.95
Givi - $133.00
CalSci - $125 - $200

For reference... I'm 5' 8" with a 29" inseam and wear a Sedici modular helmet.

What I haven't found is a comparison of them. I'm leaning towards Madstad simply because it's adjustable but that's not a guarantee they're the best one. I'll probably skip Honda and Givi but I'm not sure which of the other three would be best.

A related question, some places list nc700x and others separate '12-'15 and '16+ for the windshields. Is there really a difference?

I think you’re right about the Honda tall and the Givi. They are medium height screens which tend to put the wind blast right at your face, which probably adds noise rather than reducing it.

The mounting points are slightly different for ‘12-‘15 vs ‘16+, so yes, make sure you get the right one.

I have had the tall Honda and the MRA Vario. The Honda is really noisy. The MRA not as bad. The best for me is a V Stream medium height with an MRA Xtreme Spoiler. I am 5'8" and it puts me in a bubble of quiet buffet free air.

Don't discount the MadStad on price - if it is the right one for your needs and makes the ride more enjoyable then it should be the one you get.

I have a MadStad. I also had the Givi. The Madstad is orderable in any height you need and is very adjustable. I think it is absolutely worth looking into further. There are tons of threads about it and other windshields already for you to read the arguments.

I have the Madstad. I like how easy it is to adjust. I usually take it off in the summer and either put on a cut down stock one or go naked.

Caution: If the windscreen's aesthetic is paramount, you need read no further.

For many reasons, I'm a fan of making my own Windscreens out of Lexan. It can be... whatever you want it to be.
(Lowe's has a piece that is a better fit than Home Depot.)

The latest iteration I use has pieces that can go on and off depending on how much air I want blowing on me during a ride.
It's tall enough to keep the air stream just at the top of my helmet where it can feed its air vents, and it's wide enough to keep the air off my arms.

Consider:

• you won't get good at it until your third attempt
  • learning how to bend it with a heat gun down the center is important
  • learning how to cut it / fracture it is is also important
  • over time, you will spend more than just buying something commercially produced
  • it will NEVER look elegant, sexy, or cool. FUNCTION over FORM!

Risking deserved ridicule, I offer the following photo. (sprayed with windex to help make the clear lexan show up in the photo)
windscreen1.jpg

I hated paying the price, but I'm glad I went with the Madstad. I got the 20' adventure and I'm 5-7. Its adjusted to the lowest settings.
I've got my electronics mounted to the metal base via ram mounts. Gives me a nice cockpit. Don't have to look down for GPS.

2018071609011787-71C77460-4F5F-4778-88DF-8536D33E132E-XL.jpg

I had the dealer install the tall Givi screen when I purchased my bike last year, and it was useless. Same with the original windscreen it came with. I went through 3 helmets and numerous kinds of earplugs trying to stop the wind noise, without success. I was actually thinking of giving up riding, it was so unpleasant. Then I bought the Madstad screen, and everything changed. Quiet, no wind buffeting, amazing. It allowed me to enjoy riding. It cost me $500 Cdn, but it was worth it. I am 6 feet tall with a 30 inch inseam. I got the largest size - I can’t remember offhand what that is. Madstad suggested the size smaller for my height, but I’m glad I got this one. Lots of room for adjustment.

Thanks for the comments, I've been reading them but too busy to reply individually.

I think the Madstad is what I'll get but...
1. How accurate are their height recommendations? I'm 5'8" with 29" inseam which says I need the 18". I was thinking 20"would be better but...

2. Some recommended having the shield mounted 2" lower. Is that still necessary? I see Madstad fixed the headlight glare issue so have they adjusted the mounting height?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

I had the dealer install the tall Givi screen when I purchased my bike last year, and it was useless. Same with the original windscreen it came with. I went through 3 helmets and numerous kinds of earplugs trying to stop the wind noise, without success. I was actually thinking of giving up riding, it was so unpleasant. Then I bought the Madstad screen, and everything changed. Quiet, no wind buffeting, amazing. It allowed me to enjoy riding. It cost me $500 Cdn, but it was worth it. I am 6 feet tall with a 30 inch inseam. I got the largest size - I can’t remember offhand what that is. Madstad suggested the size smaller for my height, but I’m glad I got this one. Lots of room for adjustment.

what this guy says - you'll be wasting more money if you don't go Madstad - it's just a bigger shield, I have the 20 inch and I'm also 6 foot tall and was going to go for the largest one that easterncoyotee got but then decided it would not be necessary since it's adjustable.

for you i would suggest the 20 incher

This is a constant subject. But no one has weighed in on this one by Moose Racing:
WINDSCREEN ADV NC700X 22 (2312-0265)
MSRP: $79.95
Anybody have experience? Seems tall at +9 and I don't yet know width (Moose customer response a C-).
Jim

I have the Moose shield. At 5 '7" it does well enough . I've bought shields that were highly recommended only to find them just ok. I consider the Moose money well spent

The Madstad is proving to be a good choice but has a couple issues.

1. I ordered 2" taller than their recommendation. Good move. Exact position is still being worked out yet but it's taller than what they recommended.

2. I had to adjust the right side mirror because it hit the shield when parked (bars full left). With the bars full right, I also hit the shield but adjusting it puts it too far in for me to see anything but my chest.

I haven't contacted them yet so I won't complain too much until I get their advice / support.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

The Madstad is proving to be a good choice but has a couple issues.

1. I ordered 2" taller than their recommendation. Good move. Exact position is still being worked out yet but it's taller than what they recommended.

2. I had to adjust the right side mirror because it hit the shield when parked (bars full left). With the bars full right, I also hit the shield but adjusting it puts it too far in for me to see anything but my chest.

I haven't contacted them yet so I won't complain too much until I get their advice / support.

My bar ends were hitting the shield slightly after I installed it, when the handlebars were fully turned, so I adjusted them downwards. I also added some small bar raiser spacers (I can’t remember what they’re called), trying to find a more comfortable riding position. It worked well - I now have a comfortable arm position, and my bars don’t hit the shield. You might want to try this

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardboard............

Cardboard. Brown, cheap, and everywhere. It will not help the OP but has anyone just tried adding cardboard to top of their existing screen to see if that can help determine the best height screen height for them?

If you put painters tape on your existing screen to protect its edges and then used binder clips to hold the cardboard at various heights wouldn't that give you a starting point?

It might look pretty ugly, but bearable for a short ride or two, to see if a taller screen is helpful.

Just sayin............

Slo_Rider

Last edited:
Back