• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why no temp gauge???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyeugenio

Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from my rather basic, Hypermotard 1100 s from over a decade ago, I’m rather aghast that there is no type of temp gauge/meter for a liquid cooled Honda of 2015 vintage.

Honda has provided a gear indicator; separate left and right turn indicator on the dash, and a fuel gauge which none were offered on my air cooled Ducati of over 14 years old.

Why Honda didn’t include a temp gauge on the nc700x is one of the world’s true mysteries...

Most new vehicles of all brands have done away with actual coolant temperature gauges as they aren't necessary. Around twenty years ago even a 'needle in an arc' coolant gauge was no longer showing discrete changes in degrees. Sure, the needle moved off C and hopefully stayed in the middle or around N but the device was designed to lift off C between 135-155F, show N from 185 to 205, and begin to shift to H when over 210. Three ranges was what they showed.

Tightening emission controls requires the engine to run inside of many narrow operating parameters. One of these outside of parameters registers a diagnostic trouble code and one warning light and a way to tell the operator what the trouble code is all that is necessary.

A gauge could be nice to look at and maybe give some early warning of cooling system problems but for manufacturers it's cost than can be saved.

I considered adding one, because, well, I am used to it! However, as Dave points out, most of them are not really that accurate- more like an actual idiot light in most cases than a real gauge. Some are pretty linear , but most are, indeed, 3 position gauges.
If you really want one, nice digital units with their own sending units can be had quite cheaply.
Personally, I miss the ambient temperature thermometer more.

Cars still have coolant temp gauges. A lot of bikes do too. I was also surprised the NC omitted this although I have managed fine without it.
I agree about the ambient temperature gauge. A lot more useful if you ride in winter. My NC came with a eSystem Scottoiler system fitted and this usefully has a air temperature gauge.

I have boiled in 100°+ heat in traffic while the Honda showed no signs of complaint. I can think of a lot of things I would rather Honda put on my bike than a linear temperature readout. Shaft drive. Cruise control. Ambient temperature gauge. More lights. Pictures of Soichiro Honda, and so on

I have boiled in 100°+ heat in traffic while the Honda showed no signs of complaint. I can think of a lot of things I would rather Honda put on my bike than a linear temperature readout. Shaft drive. Cruise control. Ambient temperature gauge. More lights. Pictures of Soichiro Honda, and so on
Ever have the plastic impellers on your water pump disintegrate in the middle of summer? Been stranded 80 miles from home with your family in tow due to a frozen water pump bearing? I could go on and on but I’m a bit old school about watching my machines...just seeing where my operating temps are allows small peace of mind. I have 1st hand experience with cooling systems gone bad and a simple device to see temperatures will likely be installed.

Ever have the plastic impellers on your water pump disintegrate in the middle of summer? Been stranded 80 miles from home with your family in tow due to a frozen water pump bearing? I could go on and on but I’m a bit old school about watching my machines...just seeing where my operating temps are allows small peace of mind. I have 1st hand experience with cooling systems gone bad and a simple device to see temperatures will likely be installed.
Seems like if your water pump impellers disintegrated or the bearing froze up, the engine temperature gauge is not going to help you prevent it, but merely tell you about the problem after it already happened. The NC has a high temperature warning light, which will also tell you if the water pump has failed.

However, if you have experienced such failures in the past, I do understand your concern. I worry about failure types I have experienced in the past, and don’t worry much about failures I haven’t experienced. I’ve driven and ridden about 1.4 million miles, and haven’t had a surprise cooling system failure that could strand me since the 1970s. But just because I haven’t doesn’t mean others haven’t.

Last edited:
I'm pretty lucky, the oldest bike I've ridden is less than half my age and nothing I've been on has been built in the previous millennium.

Or maybe that's not lucky. I don't really know how good motorcycles have become, I've just read about it. I've only experienced rear drum brakes, never front. I bought a carburated bike by choice. My tires last over ten thousand miles. I've never thought of piston rings as a maintenance item/something to regularly replace.

And my waterproof kit actually breathes. Am I spoiled?

What’s important to me > what’s important to you. Goes both ways and has since beginning of time :)

The frozen bearing was on an E32 that prevented the engine from starting as a fail safe thwarting engine damage. We were out and about for an outing and the car wouldn’t start up after being parked for several hours. No warning or indication of impending failure such are whining or grinding normally associated with bearing gone bad. Didn’t figure out until having it towed to my trusted mechanic the following Monday.

The impellers disintegrated on my 274,000 mile, 1994 Jaguar XJ6S (x-300) which turned my normal daily driver in to a donated car to pick n pull.

The temp gauge allows me some assurance cooling and fluids are in order. Unwarranted concern? Possibly; there are other items I’d like to add but I figure there are just some things most ICE machines are equipped with.

I think you just need a little experience with Hondas. in 50 years of riding and driving my war stories never involve Hondas, at least ones belonging to me. Italian and British yes, I have a few of those stories.

I think you just need a little experience with Hondas. in 50 years of riding and driving my war stories never involve Hondas, at least ones belonging to me. Italian and British yes, I have a few of those stories.
I have owned several Honda’s in my life; I learned to wrench on a ‘79 Honda cvcc which ran on 3 and a half cylinders.

Forgot, this is a motorcycle forum; my list of just Honda’s that I can remember:

1986 rebel 250
1989 Hawk gt (miss/loved that bike)
1992 CBR f2
1995 CBR f3
2007 cbr600rr

You’ve got just under two decades of “experience” on me; war stories? I’ve got plenty...

My relationship with the NC700X may be young but I’m far from a new boot when it comes to vehicles of the two or four-wheeled variety.

I’ve had my fair share of busted knuckles from wrenches/beers and amassed a decent collection of tools throughout the years.

To imply one’s preference is based on their lack of “experience” is somewhat presumptuous. I’ve read more than a few of your posts and find the implied lack of experience off-putting.

Maybe I struck a nerve or I’ve received your post about my lack of experience inaccurately; either way, it doesn’t change my desire to have a temp gauge. If the former, my apologies; the latter, you’re assumptions are unfounded.

Happy riding and happy 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
Well, for an example of a Honda motorcycle that needs an engine temperature gauge, I offer my 2002 Goldwing as an example. It has a design flaw in it's cooling system. Under certain conditions, it WILL overheat, and I use the stock temperature gauge to tell me when I need to stop awhile and let the engine cool down. My NC700X, on the other hand, runs so cool I feel like I could barely warm my hands grabbing the engine on a cold day.

Reactions: MZ5
I have owned several Honda’s in my life; I learned to wrench on a ‘79 Honda cvcc which ran on 3 and a half cylinders.

Forgot, this is a motorcycle forum; my list of just Honda’s that I can remember:

1986 rebel 250
1989 Hawk gt (miss/loved that bike)
1992 CBR f2
1995 CBR f3
2007 cbr600rr

You’ve got just under two decades of “experience” on me; war stories? I’ve got plenty...

My relationship with the NC700X may be young but I’m far from a new boot when it comes to vehicles of the two or four-wheeled variety.

I’ve had my fair share of busted knuckles from wrenches/beers and amassed a decent collection of tools throughout the years.

To imply one’s preference is based on their lack of “experience” is somewhat presumptuous. I’ve read more than a few of your posts and find the implied lack of experience off-putting.

Maybe I struck a nerve or I’ve received your post about my lack of experience inaccurately; either way, it doesn’t change my desire to have a temp gauge. If the former, my apologies; the latter, you’re assumptions are unfounded.

Happy riding and happy 2021
I thought comparing the NC700X to a BMW car and and any British car of 70s vintage ludicrous but you are certainly entitled to your opinion concerning the need for a coolant temperature gauge. It has been done and I'm sure will be done again.

I thought comparing the NC700X to a BMW car and and any British car of 70s vintage ludicrous but you are certainly entitled to your opinion concerning the need for a coolant temperature gauge. It has been done and I'm sure will be done again.
You’re right; your stories and experiences are bigger/better.

Thank you, sir, for granting me the freedom to have an opinion, share my firsthand experiences of mechanical failures and express them on this forum.

Your kindness is noted. I guess I DID read your implied lack of experience correctly about my direct comparison of bmw and 90’s British car technology because I clearly did #sarcasm.

God save the queen and lesser mortals like me...

Happy 2021 and many smiles with your miles. Cheers!

...My NC700X, on the other hand, runs so cool I feel like I could barely warm my hands grabbing the engine on a cold day.
I installed oxford grips for our recent cold/wet weather here in the bay. Most mornings have us hovering around 37-40 degrees.

I have a gear closet filled with gerbings gear but find I can get by with turning the oxfords to about 75% and layers.

Thanks for the perspective using your GW as an example, I am certain the nc700x doesn’t NEED a temp gauge. But, as with most farkles, is a luxury I half expected would be included in the user interface.

Even the Hypermotard had a voltage and lap timer if you scrolled through the sparse menu.

End of the world? Hardly; nice to have/add? Sure.

As mentioned earlier, there’s a few more farkles en route and on the wishlist before I’ll call her “done”.

Enjoy the riding and new year!

It appears that the constructive value of this thread where ideas are shared has passed. Vote for closing thread :)
I am in support closing if no members have suggestions for monitoring temps.

I had hoped to incite some suggestions or garner ideas and pics of what owners have done either digitally, analog or other methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back