• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why I love my NC though it is not perfect

• Thread starter Deleted member 5383
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5383

I love my NC. It's not the fastest or quickest or lightest or the most comfortable ever, and like many stock machines the suspension is just adequate. The NC is just fast enough and quick enough to do well in the traffic I encounter, and feels great on the open road. It takes me without fuss or muss on journeys to destinations I enjoy without costing much at all in fuel and it is relatively low maintenance. Some things I'd like done differently, but I went into this knowing what it was and have to say it's not only met my needs and given immense pleasure, but it's also interested a hell of a lot of other people I've encountered too... I'm proud to ride a machine that is viewed by some as the motorcycle equivalent of a minivan, actually -- because your better minivans actually do pretty well in spite of not being viewed as dead sexy ; }

We see a lot of people wishing it was something different. But going in with eyes open, I'm glad for the most part that it is not*. It's easy enough for a lot of inseams and arm lengths to get a good fit. I hope a lot of other people here don't lose faith in what is good about it. Just felt it would be good to hear what others have to say about its positive attributes : }

*yeah, the seat ; }

it has just enough power for me, enough to keep me out of trouble, keep me safe and it's going to hopefully be reliable. it's a HONDA. LOL.

Yep. That's explains the NC700 and why I like it. I'm a minivan guy. The minivan is under appreciated. I have driven them for over 25 years. There're two in my driveway now.

I've said this many times, before i purchased the NC I analyzed how I ride, not how I wanted to ride. The nc checks those boxes.

I've said this many times, before i purchased the NC I analyzed how I ride, not how I wanted to ride. The nc checks those boxes.

That about sums up my thoughts as well. I fixed the "most part that it is not*" stuff and it is now as perfect as it is going to get. I am now enjoying the hell out of it.

Yep, I love the NC too

it needs a few improvement. a bit smoother engine .. which people have said that it has been solve with the NC750 by adding the extra balancing shaft. better suspension.....

I don't get the smooth engine part myself. I really dig the feel and sound with the can mine has (probably that 270-degree crank too). It provides character to a machine that some say has "no character" (when really they must mean it's just not the character they were after). But then I'm pretty happy on thumpers as long as I don't feel vibed out by the bars and pegs -- which I never do on my NC.

I don't love it, but I like it, maybe like turns into love after a time :)

So what do I like about the NC?
1) It has a frunk (never forget this one), where I can put all my junk in. I don't even need a topcase anymore.
2) It sounds nice (nice low rumble, sounds mean as hell when decatted and aftermarket exhaust)
3) Balanced, easy to ride slow and steady
4) Comfortable (except I can't stretch my legs)
5) High MPG, except I do ride with a lot of throttle movement, which makes it stupid that I didn't even ride 100km's and already lost 1 bar on the fuel gauge.
6) The looks. I love the design of the bike.

What don't I like about the NC?
1) Difficult to tinker with
2) Bit un-sporty
3) Too silent, even with an aftermarket exhaust without dB-killers
4) Standard seating position, I've risen the handlebars with 2 inches, and now it sits perfectly.

What don't I like about the NC?
3) Too silent, even with an aftermarket exhaust without dB-killers.

That's one of my main likes. It's next to silent. I live in the city and at 5am I can crank my bike for work and not have to worry about waking the neighbors and getting all those dirty looks. Plus I don't have to wear ear plugs to keep from going deaf from my own bike.
The frunk is my next biggest thing. I have a top box for my cover, chain, locks and rain gear while I'm riding but I keep my lid in my funk when I'm not.

I was camping on the night before starting the TAT a few years ago. Couple of electricians were staying there, saving their per diem. They both rode Harley's with straight pipes. Those boys go to work early and you can hear them a mile away.

I think it's close to perfect.
I love the frunk
I love the reliability and ease of maintenance/repair, very well designed.
I would give up 5 to 10 mpg for another 15 hp, I know I'm in the minority on that but not alone. It's a good mule, without a head wind on flat ground you can go over the max weight and it still does great try going up a mountain and it's struggling a bit throw in a head wind and your pushing it hard and still struggling (even solo)
If they had a 1000cc option with the same design as the 750 (no shims like the AT) it would be perfect. Just customize per person after that such as seat and risers and such

I am a low rev, usable power kind of guy. The NC fits right into that niche nicely. It has the power where I need it and it is adequate for my needs. I have done the big bike thing, the small bike thing, the fast bike thing, the slow bike thing, and have evolved in my tastes and preferences to a mid bike niche for my go to daily driver. I think the NC and all of the variants of this platform nicely fit the bill for what I need on a regular basis.

I tend to be a ride with the traffic sort of rider so I am rarely in a big hurry so the NC handles that job pretty well. For now this is a good all around bike that meets my needs. I am a taller rider with long legs so the NC allows me to more easily adapt it to fit me. The cost of the bike was very cheap for a practically new bike so it left more money to be able to make it fit me without breaking the bank. The low maintenance costs, and fuel economy are very attractive to me.

The bike is very quiet which is also nice, however I did replace the exhaust mostly for the appearance, but a slightly more throaty sound is also welcomed(not loud and will not disturb the neighbors or others when I am riding down the road). From what I can see so far the entire bike line built on this platform from Honda would make good bikes depending on your application.

Everyone has to grow and evolve in their riding career to figure out what they like at any particular phase in life. I find as I have gotten older I tend toward practical and comfortable are more of my focus. Each person will have to figure this out for themselves. Our tastes and preferences really do change a lot over time. I will probably keep the NC. If anything I might add another bike or two to the garage, but I get the feeling the NC is probably a keeper for me.

I think it's close to perfect.
I love the frunk
I love the reliability and ease of maintenance/repair, very well designed.
I would give up 5 to 10 mpg for another 15 hp, I know I'm in the minority on that but not alone. It's a good mule, without a head wind on flat ground you can go over the max weight and it still does great try going up a mountain and it's struggling a bit throw in a head wind and your pushing it hard and still struggling (even solo)
If they had a 1000cc option with the same design as the 750 (no shims like the AT) it would be perfect. Just customize per person after that such as seat and risers and such

There's the VFR1200X, but it only gets about 40mpg avg. I think something like a cross between the Concours (1000, not the 1400 monster they sell now) and the NC would be perfect, especially if they could keep weight about the same and mpg above 50.

As for what I like about the NC, it's got enough power for highway, enough torque for good acceleration, plentiful fuel economy, and storage for days. Add to that a somewhat decent aftermarket accessory selection, and it makes for a very nice bike for your everyday motorcycle needs.

If they had a 1000cc option with the same design as the 750 (no shims like the AT) it would be perfect.

Agreed. But maybe they feel the VFRX or AT fills that niche in their lineup, but I always thought an NC1000 would be legit as fk.

My main critique (other than the seat) is the suspension. If my NC handled bumpy gravel roads like my Vstrom, that would be great. I'm sure I can make it so by dumping $$ into it, but that's my gripe. Other than that, the NC is beyond legit. I've had it fully loaded (and I mean loaded) ripping across the freeways on the plains for days straight in strong gusty winds, passing semi's (hairy experiences) along side my buddy's GS1100A. Couldn't always keep right up with his beamer, but did the job. Then the next day we're up rocky washed out trail/roads in the black hills, also fully loaded. Versatile little machine.

If they had a 1000cc option with the same design as the 750 (no shims like the AT) it would be perfect.

Getting away from the bigger is better attitude is, I think, one of the positive attributes of the NC700/750. For those that want more, more , more, there are 30 or 40 other bikes out there for them.

It's a fluke that the NC is even sold in the States. It's a bike the rest of the world appreciates more.

The NC is my first brand new bike I've gotten to ride from 0 miles. It is incredibly easy to do the maintenance items such that it never has to see the dealer again unless there is a serious engine/computer issue.

In 10,000 miles, I've done the oil twice, the valves (coolant...), the tires, the forks, replaced the chain and sprockets, serviced the brakes and so on. I haven't done bearings, but imagine I'll have to at some point (more tools!) I don't consider myself a mechanic by any means, but with the proper tools and the service manual I can figure it out.

I took all that money saved doing the maintenance myself and poured it into farkles to make the bike comfortable and even more fun to ride. I learned a lot about mechanics tools and bikes in the last year, thanks to the NC.

I love how the engine puts out a flat torque curve and pulls like a tractor. The acceleration is amazing even if the top speed is limited.

For my needs, it's an excellent work commuter, 300-mile go out and see something new weekend machine, and the occasional minimalist camping machine. I'm glad it is not a 150 mph sportbike, I'm no street-Rossi and can't afford track days.

My favorite thing to do is switch the DCT to S3 while waiting in traffic at a light (first in line), then flipping the throttle wide open on green, hitting the speed limit before leaving the other side. My choice of lane and all the cagers safely behind me.

What I think is unique about the NC and positive that very few (If any) bikes on the market have:

The NC700X is about the most versatile bike out there. As a 700 it sits squarely in the middle size wise (At least in the US where we have the "Bigger is always better" mentality).
You can buy it stock and outfit it to be whatever you want. Just look through this forum to find the NCX outfitted as an Iron Butt machine with all the farkles you can imagine for 1000 mile plus days.
Look some more and you will find it outfitted as an excellent ADV bike... that holds it's own against well established ADV bikes....
Keep looking more and you will find it setup as an excellent commuter bike. About the only thing your not going to find it set up for is a sport bike.... that it will never be.

I really don't know of any other bike that can fill all of these roles so well.... It's unique and efficient and very cost effective doing all of these things as well.

NC was never my kind of bike

but somehow, i have no idea why i bought it

now, i really appreciated this bike as a really reliable workhorse. :)

Back