• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why accessory harness?

konradphoto

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to wire my GPS unit. I wonder what does the accessory harness have that it needs to go between the socket harness and the subharness? Why the socket harness is not directly connected to the subharness?
NC700X Sub Harness detail.jpg

Many thanks.
Konrad

And there should already be a 7.5 A fuse in the relay box for the sub harness. So I do not see the point either. I have heated grips (4 A) and additional lights (2 A) directly on the sub harness myself. May add a USB charger but getting close to 7.5.

The sub harness 'kit' includes the needed relay and 7.5 fuse. It also spilts the 'socket harness' to power extra lights (I think its high/low beam) and heated grips. You can get by without it ( like Jos).

Last edited:
The sub harness has four outputs. Without a fuse for each of the accessories connected, if there is a short in any of the accessories, or the wiring, the 7.5A fuse in the fuse box will open up and no accessories will work.

Most accessories have their own integrated fuse (5 A for my heated grips for example). Anyway in case of short I am confident that both fuses will melt.

Thanks for the answers. So I can directly connect the GPS to the sub-harness. I don't have a sub-harness yet, but I've been wondering what type of a male connector fits with the sub-harness female connectors. Looking at the images of the sub-harness, this male connector seems to be the match: 2.8mm 110 series Motorcycle Mini-Latch - Wiring Connector Set - 2 way (RED) | eBay

Could you please confirm that my finding is correct?
Konrad

They are 3 ways with only two pins connected. Yeah, weird. You can either replace the three ways with two ways or find three ways male connectors.

I replaced the connectors by simply removing the pins and inserting them in new (2 ways) connectors, fairly easy. There is a tutorial on the forum.

If I'm not mistaken, the accessory subharness is sold separately and not installed at the factory when the bike is assembled. Such practices are necessary when you have to built to a price point - it's just a reality.

I used a 3-outlet accessory wiring kit from Eastern Beaver and feel it's a great product. On my previous bikes, I did the accessory kit myself by buying the fuse panel, relay, etc., but the Eastern Beaver kit made it oh so much easier. :eek:

Last edited:
If a circuit is rated to a lower amperage, a larger fuse in the circuit will not protect it. If your GPS is rated for example for 2 A, the 7.5 A fuse will not ‘sense’ any problem and it will not be sacrificed to protect it. It’s necessary to have the proper fuse (rating, speed, current type, etc) at the right location to protect a circuit.

The 7.5 A fuse looks that protects from a massive overload, e.g. with all accessories turned on.

The subharness kit (harness, fuse & relay) is optional and sold separately, but a requirement if you need any Honda or other accessories...

In practice fuses protect mostly from shorts, and in that case low Amp fuses will both go out. There are really few real overload cases where a device rated for say 4 A will drain more than 4 but less than 7.5. Yes it might happen, but to me not a good reason for having fuses on top of the accessories one (which introduces additional connectors, sockets and wires).

In practice fuses protect mostly from shorts, and in that case low Amp fuses will both go out. There are really few real overload cases where a device rated for say 4 A will drain more than 4 but less than 7.5. Yes it might happen, but to me not a good reason for having fuses on top of the accessories one (which introduces additional connectors, sockets and wires).
Yes, they protect the circuit from shorts. The line side of the circuit. Fuses are designed to protect the line side of the circuit. As opposed to the load side of a circuit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On the harness there are 4 terminals. 3 x 2 pins, what is the 3 pin one for???
Brown=live
Green=earth
Blue =???

On the harness there are 4 terminals. 3 x 2 pins, what is the 3 pin one for???
Brown=live
Green=earth
Blue =???
It depends and varies with the model year of the bike, and probably the world region it was built for. On a 2012 in the USA, the blue wire has 12 volts present when the headlight high beam is on. It can be used to trigger brightness levels on auxiliary lighting. On other model years that is not the case. Consult a wiring schematic from the service manual for your bike’s model year.

Reactions: MZ5
Back