• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which way to go, Colorado or Tail of Dragon?

According to wunderground.com, accuweather.com, weather.org, weather.gov... Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed... are going to be "... Mostly cloudy, showers and a thunderstorm; humid; precipitation 40%-60%..."
Did I pick the wrong time of the year?!?

robbinsville, weather.jpg

It’s always like that in the NC mtns in the summer. Whether you actually hit rain is a coin toss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail of the dragon is cool. Cherohala Skyway was awesome. Hit some other roads in that area that were also awesome. Never got a chance to hit the blue ridge parkway, hope to one day. Never been to Colorado, so I don't know if it would be more fun.

A minor detail, but instead of taking 19 between Cherokee and Maggie Valley, you can jump on the southern most piece of the Blue Ridge Parkway for most of the way between those two cities. The Parkway is more interesting than 19, in my opinion.

In the mountains it seems there’s a chance of rain every day. The chances are that you won’t be rained on, but if you are it won’t last too long. If it’s warm I find riding through a shower to be very refreshing. It beats hot sun any day.

Notice the wind speeds on your forecast. A nice thing about that area is the winds are usually calmer than in the Midwest.

Last edited:
We had our meet-up down there back in May; many bailed because the forecast was horrendous (tropical front on the eastern seaboard). In the 4 days of riding, 1500 miles overall (coming from southern Indiana), rode in 30 miles of rain getting there, 10 miles of rain the next day, 10 miles of rain on the 3rd day, and no rain on the way home on 4th day... The rain actually felt good because it was hot....it is summer and that forecast is typical for the Ohio and Tennessee River valleys.

It’s always like that in the NC mtns in the summer. Whether you actually hit rain is a coin toss.

... In the mountains it seems there’s a chance of rain every day. The chances are that you won’t be rained on, but if you are it won’t last too long. If it’s warm I find riding through a shower to be very refreshing. It beats hot sun any day.

I talked to my friend and he suggested to go in September because the colors are more pretty. Is weather usually better in September?

Also, there is HU event in Ironhorse Lodge, Stecoah, NC on September 20-23. Never was on any but always wanted... So, two birds one stone... :eek:

Last edited:
I talked to friend and he suggested to go in September because the colors are more pretty. Is weather usually better in September?

Also, there is HU event in Ironhorse Lodge, Stecoah, NC on September 20-23. Never was on any but always wanted... So, two birds one stone... :eek:

September weather is good and the traffic is reasonable. Every time I go to the Smokies it rains at least one day, no matter what the season. But, September is a bit too early to go for the fall colors. When the colors start in October, the roads clog up with leaf peepers in cars, from what I’ve heard. Go even later than that and the roads get covered with leaves, too.

Last edited:
I agree with this. Mountain weather is always a bit unpredictable. I was snowed on at the top of the Cherahola Skyway in May a couple years ago.

Personally, I tend to avoid the NC mtns on weekends after the 1st week of October because of the traffic (and people literally stopping in the middle of the road around blind curves to look at the leaves).

Likewise, I avoid the Dragon on weekends ‘cause all the crazies are out (cagers and bikers).

I like summer in the mountains - it’s cooler, not as much traffic (except around the know tourist spots) and great riding. The occasional shower just cools things off [emoji57]

Fall is awesome but you have to pick your timing carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaves don't change until mid october, so you will miss that along with the traffic. Might be a few trees starting early. Unless a hurricane is coming through, I wouldn't worry about the weather. Just take some rain gear. It usually rains in patches. Fall in NC tends to be a drier season. Couple of years ago, guys who rode south from camp got wet, those who went north stayed dry. Of course, I went south.

Sorry for not responding earlier - was busy riding south ;)
Left home on Friday morning, finished my first day at Owensboro, KY. Yesterday rode through Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Cherokee, took a nap at Bryson City, NC.
Today took Blue Ridge Parkway to French Broad River, rode back to west, to to Walhalla, SC and then took Moonshine28 to Iron Horse Lodge where I just put my tent.
Tomorrow the Tail and Cherohalla Skyway. And go home...

Still collecting my thoughts :D

I'm glad you went. I've gone to the Smokies every month from March to October and each season has it's good and bad. Have a great time!

Ok, here's what I have. Didn't make a lot of photos, mostly videos (for first time). And, since I'm lousy video editor, who knows am I going ever to make a video :D

So... This is my 2nd longest trip I ever made, 2500 miles. For many of you it's nothing, but don't forget I started riding exactly 5 years ago ;)
Also my first trip longer than 3 days that I was doing only by myself - and I LIKE IT! Yes, I missed, many times, somebody to share my excitement and happiness, but FREEDOM of decisions was much greater. ;)

Anyway... Part 1 (days 1, 2, 3) Google Maps

Day 1: From home to Owensboro, KY
My new record: Shared album - Afan Pasalic - Google Photos

Day 2: From Owensboro, KY to Great Smoky National Park (TN-NC), rode through the park, short stop in Cherokee, NC; sleepover in Bryson City, NC.
Shared album - Afan Pasalic - Google Photos

Day 3: From Bryson City, NC to the (west) beginning of Blue Ridge Parkway. At French Broad River turned to the South, to Walhalla, SC. From Walhalla, by Moonshine28 Trail North. Camping at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge.
Shared album - Afan Pasalic - Google Photos

Part 2 (days 4, 5, 6) Google Maps

Day 4: From Iron Horse to Tail of the Dragon, rode on the Tail (and back), and continued via Chattanooga, NC, Trenton, GA to Huntsville, AL.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c4xn8cY5k6Y9RqJL9

Day 5: From Huntsville, AL, via Memphis, Jonesboro, AR to Munger Moss Motel in Lebanon, MO - one of Route 66 icons.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/spLpcnfMknjVoNmE9

Day 6: From Lebanon to Florida, MO to see Mark Twain's birth house. And then back home.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2qjurPhXqwd1NepDA

Total ~2500 miles (Rever app that tracked my route said 2485 miles, odometer on my bike said 2548 miles) in 6 days.

I'm really happy I visited this area. For somebody from flat Iowa, with "gridded" roads, riding on curvy roads through woods, and rivers and streams... it was paradise. You should've see my happy face - better than any emoji.

The highest point: camping in Iron Horse. It was Monday and most of bikers already left, maybe 20 of us stayed in the campground. One couple (I apologize to not remembering the names) grilling and invited everybody. Some crazy, diverse bunch of people appeared... From gray-haired 70-year-old Harley guy in black jeans shirt with ripped off sleeves to well groomed guy in khaki shorts, socks and sandals... Harley guys, sport-touring guys, dirt bike guys... Every possible kind. And then something happened I didn't see last several years - NOBODY was holding smart phone, texting, checking, facebooking, instagraming... NO PHONES! Everybody just TALKING. Really high point of the trip.

The lowest point, of course, going home. And closer I am, more sad I am. The 2nd lowest point, I still don't know how, but the screw that holds handlebar end weight loosened and I lost the screw and the end weight - have no idea when?!?

Which trail/parkway/route I liked the most? Great Smoky is beautiful leisure scenic ride, I like it more than Blue Ridge. Southern part of the Moonshine 28 is really good - but the road condition is so good. I really liked the Tail (contrary to many :) ), it's the most challenging and the toughest ride. Definitely one of the top rides. And, thanks to everybody who suggested me to avoid the Tail over the weekend - 100% true.

When I do it again, I'll setup the "base" in Iron Horse and then each day go to different direction.

And, about the mighty NC - it proved itself as really reliable and great bike. And really happy I bought DCT. Rode the Tail with MT and changing gears with only two fingers was sooooo easy and helpful. There are couple things I want to address but it's gonna be in the separate threads.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed the trip. A bunch of us go up every May, the weekend prior to the memorial weekend. We stay at Kickstand Lodge, just down the road from the Iron horse. Ride all over the place. You'll never be able to ride all of the good roads. I don't forget all the forest roads.

Afan, thanks for the ride report. You chose a great route to sample that area. Your pictures look so familiar to me as I’ve been to many of those same spots.

Like you, on the return trip I get a little sad. The roads in the Midwest become more boring and in worse condition as I near home. It’s weird that in the morning I’m twisting through the Tail of the Dragon and by evening I’m riding flat, rough roads past corn and beans. Oh, well, it’s good that the twisties are only a day’s ride away.

I’m with you on the base camp idea. That’s what I do now, stay for the week at one or two camps and go out on day rides. It’s nice to shed some of the camping gear during the day, and come back to a camp that’s all set up.

Like drdubb said, a group of us set up camp at Kickstand Lodge (down the road from Ironhorse) every spring, in May. Come along next time. Another good place to ride, that’s closer to home for you, is north central Arkansas. We do a meetup there in April, although the group turnout is inconsistent. Doesn’t matter; I go anyway.

P.S. Your bike and gear are well color coordinated. Love that helmet design!

Last edited:
Back