• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which way to go, Colorado or Tail of Dragon?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Need suggestions, recommendations, ideas...

Last week in July my wife is gone, kids are gone and - I wanna be "gone" too. But can't decide which way to go.

Option #1: Tail of The Dragon [ Google map ] and riding through IN, KY, TN, GA, AL, AR - never rode before
PRO: Tail of the Dragon - don't need to explain. Also, never rode in these states and, according to youtube vids - all those scenic roads through the forests are so beautiful. And I can "extend" my riding map of states I rode in too. :D
CON: Except the Tail, I don't know any other place to pin on the map (at least for now). Looks like riding straight to the Tail - and that's not my kind of riding. Also, after the curvy road of the Tail, any other "curvy" road is becoming kinda... nah, right? Also, after riding 2 days through beautiful, colorful forests, on the scenic roads, then 3rd, 4th,.. day becoming, to bi politically correct, kinda "not so much interesting"? Like you eat your favorite meal 3-4 days in a row - 5th day it's not your favorite any more, right?

Option #2: Colorado [ Google map ], Garden of Gods, off-road to Woodland Park, Pikes Peak, Skyline Drive, Royal Gorge, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Million Dollar Highway, Independance Pass, maybe Mt. Evans, and Trail Ridge (Rocky Mountains, from Grand Lake to Estes Park).
PRO: It's pretty diverse kind of riding, mix of light off-road, scenic roads and highways. Also, visited some of the places with family by car so I know where am I going.
CON: I already visited some of the places with family by car so I know where am I going. Also, I have to ride about 750+ miles from Des Moines to Colorado, and 750+ miles from CO back to IA. It's 3-4 days of riding of my 7 day-trip. Half a trip spending on "commuting". Or 2 days of hard riding but I'm not Iron Butt kinda guy :(

There was for the moment the Option #3: around the Lake Michigan [ Google map ] but my wife would kill me because we planned to do it together. :D

So, what can you say?

Would you suggest any other route?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I can't help you decide, but I can give you another couple of Colorado Options. I haven't been on Rampart Range Rd in years, but it's on my list to do again soon. Having said that, from memory, the early parts of it right out of GoG are/were pretty rough. On the other side of Hwy 24 is Old Stage/Gold Camp Road which is also a pretty ride down gravel roads but a little smoother. Then you could turn left instead of right when you hit the pavement and go to Victor instead of Woodland Park. That puts you at the start of Phantom Canyon Rd which connects down to Highway 50 which would take you toward the Royal Gorge and Skyline Dr.

I can't help you decide, but I can give you another couple of Colorado Options. I haven't been on Rampart Range Rd in years, but it's on my list to do again soon. Having said that, from memory, the early parts of it right out of GoG are/were pretty rough...
That's what I had in my mind with "off-road to Woodland Park" section. ;)
"Pretty rough"? How pretty rough? To rough for NC700X DCT on street tires and rider with not much off-road experience?

... On the other side of Hwy 24 is Old Stage/Gold Camp Road which is also a pretty ride down gravel roads but a little smoother...
I like that! Thanks! I wish I have a bike more suitable for this terrain/roads... :(

... Then you could turn left instead of right when you hit the pavement and go to Victor instead of Woodland Park. That puts you at the start of Phantom Canyon Rd which connects down to Highway 50 which would take you toward the Royal Gorge and Skyline Dr.
Sounds good!
:D

I am probably NOT the person you want to ask what is "too rough" for an NC and as I said I haven't been to Rampart Range road in a long time. I hope to get there soon, but "stuff" keeps getting in the way.

Here is some video from Gold Camp if you are on a PC or using the YouTube app it should be 360 degrees so you can pan around and check out the scenery. If you get the weird fish eye effect, try a different way to view it.
[video=youtube;HshiPHjc5qY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HshiPHjc5qY[/video]

And here is Hayden Pass - which even I decided was "too rough" for the NC. The video part isn't bad, but I will include a shot of where I decided to turn around. Granted I was by myself and on conti-motion street tires .....

[video=youtube;u_jWJ7Ts9QA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_jWJ7Ts9QA[/video]

And the turnaround spot...
Turnaround.jpg

Tail of the Dragon is just one of the many roads in the area to ride (and actually, it is not the best-in my opinion). There is Hwy 28 (starts at deals gap and goes south thru NC and into Georgia), Cheraholla Skyway, BlueRidgeParkway isn't that far, etc..

I, personally, would go with 'The Dragon' route, though it's a very tough decision and really depends on what type of days/riding you want. I have ridden quite a bit in both destinations but not much between the two. Check out Roadside America for points of interest along your route, too, if you don't want to sit down all day.

In the smokies, the roads are twisty everywhere, not just at 129, and absolutely beautiful. KY and TN are relaxing places to ride with a lot of fun stops, and to get there you'll probably see a lot more nifty small towns. Cumberland gap is a nice area to ride too.

Colorado is a straight, long drive from Iowa. Scenic, but monotonous after many hours. All of the colorado destinations are incredible, but you'd have to hammer it, I feel like when I'm riding in the rockies I'm always riding faster and more focused than I did in the smokies, it's a more intense ride for me. Another idea would be to stop in or near Black Hills, SD for a night on the way, which is 6 hours from Denver.

Ton of roads in the Smoky Mountain region. Plus there are many forest service roads for easy gravel. You can do a lot of riding in a small area. When I go up there I base out of Stecoah, NC, Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge (tent or cabin)
Lots of motorcycle maps for the region. Butler maps has one, also america rides maps

America Rides Maps

Blue ridge Parkway is great, Cherohala skyway, Hellbender 28, 215, 286 etc. Cullowhee Rd, Wayah Rd(take the gravel road at the top to the firetower)

There is a great motorcycle museum in Cherokee.

I've been to Colorado, the scenery is spectacular, but if you want twistys, NC/Tenn/Ga is better.

If you decide to come this way, I can give you some specifics, might even have some gps files.

As might have already been mentioned, or not, the Tail of the Dragon is just one road, and officially only 11 miles of US129. Do it once to say you did it and get your picture taken 5 times along the way. Then forget about it, get a meal at Deals Gap, then enjoy the other 1000 miles of excellent, less crowded, twisty roads with perfect or near perfect pavement. It takes time to get to know the area, and there are so many good roads you’ll surely miss some gems on your first trip to western North Carolina/SE Tennessee. If you have the time, the lower 100 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway is not to be missed. The Cherohala Skyway ranks a close second. And then there’s many side routes coming off the ridge roads. There’s too much to take in on one trip. You can stay awhile at a central place, like Kickstand Lodge, and run day trips from there.

The America Rides Maps mentioned above will help you get the highlights.

I’ve ridden a motorcycle in Colorado just once, although I’ve visited many times. We covered most of the state on the bike and put in a lot of miles. We moved camp every day. From what I remember, many of the roads are more open and the curves less tight. Attractions are farther apart. But for sure, the Rocky Mountain scenery is hard to beat.

Either of the above would be a fine trip.

For option 3, I’d definitely choose a trip around Lake Superior before I’d go around Lake Michigan. July is a good time to do Lake Superior. You won’t get too hot and you shouldn’t get snowed on.

Last edited:
I live ten miles from Skyline Drive so yeah I love the riding in VA./NC/TN.

But it's been freakin' HOT this summer. I would much rather ride through some heat and get to some 10,000 foot passes and 14,000 ft. Mountains.

Did I mention it's been HOT?

Spent yesterday several hours in front of the computer, watching YouTube videos, starring in google maps... There is still enough time to change my mind (believe me, nothing unusual ) but right now the "winner" is the Tail and other trails/roads. And the reason is: I found so many off-road trails in Colorado I would like to ride on but I'm pretty limited with the bike (NC), not much experience and being by myself. And I know myself, I would not stop and turn around when I should, and I'll bring myself into the trouble. So, I should rather wait a bit, find good bike with big clearance, make my friend go with me, and hit the trails w/o any hesitations. My NC will do great on curvy roads in TN, NC, KY, GA... Never rode in such a "environment" (don't forget, I'm from Iowa ) and, as couple of you guys said, go where you never been before.
So, the plan is to ride on the Tail, Cherohala, Blue Ridge (southern part, don't have time to ride whole parkway )... and probably few more trails.

Thanks for the help.
But keep commenting, keep throwing more info... :D

Seems like a reasonable plan. I am one of those guys who is pushing a rope and trying to make the NC at least "more capable". When you do decide to do a Colorado trip, shoot me a message, I am pretty easy to talk into going for a ride, and at least then we would be in trouble together.
:cool:

Last edited:
When I travel to the Smokies from Illinois, I skip the two-laners and stay on the Interstates until at least south of Louisville, KY. The state roads in Illinois are generally in horrible condition. Indiana may be a hair better but there are too many towns with stoplights and shopping centers and such that you just can't get anywhere. If coming through Missouri you'll want to stay clear of St. Louis.

By the time you're in central Kentucky or even to Tennessee, the roads smooth out and the scenery gets better until you ultimately reach the Appalachians. Coming from the northwest, as you are, and entering the area of SW TN/ western NC, it happens that US129 - Tail of the Dragon is actually the most direct route to the good stuff. When I left there last spring, I drove my truck and trailer through the Dragon because it was the shortest route. They took my picture, too.

Unless you're in to touristy stuff and congestion, avoid the area of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. The good moto stuff is on the other side of the Park.

Last edited:
Seems like a reasonable plan. I am one of those guys who is pushing a rope and trying to make the NC at lease "more capable". When you do decide to do a Colorado trip, shoot me a message, I am pretty easy to talk into going for a ride, and at least then we would be in trouble together.
:cool:

Keep talking... you're tipping the scale toward CO now...
;)

When I left there last spring, I drove my truck and trailer through the Dragon because it was the shortest route. They took my picture, too.

Unless you're in to touristy stuff and congestion, avoid the area of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. The good moto stuff is on the other side of the Park.

I once followed a truck towing a bass boat. I couldn't keep up!

I rode the Tail and Georgia Rt 60 through the Chattahoochee National Forest to Suches and then down to Dahlonega on rt 19. It's about 40 miles south of the
tail. I liked 60 more than the Tail, because the road is paved better and most of the turns are banked a bit. You could easily plot a route out of Knoxville on 129, do the Tail then pick up 74 south at Topton, to 76 to 60 and finish in Dahlonega. FWIW, I would never ride either of those roads on anything other than pure road tires.

afan, I think the info in the thread that is leading you to lean towards Dragon and points South is right on. So not trying to change your mind, but when you do get chance to come to Colorado a couple of thoughts on your map; First, out on the west slope do not miss CO 92 from Hotchkiss down to the reservoir at Blue Mesa - just a great road.

Secondly on your thoughts about Garden of the Gods and Rampart Range. I have always hit from the north end and come out at Woodland Park. So I can't really comment on Chris' observation about it being rough at GoG. I will say that is far from being the most scenic or interesting mild dirt road in the area. In addition it often quite busy with pick ups, campers, ATV diving out of the side trials, all of whom seem to be a 50/50 shot at being drunk. As an alternative I will say that both Phantom Canyon Road and the Shelf Road between the Cripple Creek / Victor area and Canon City are easily done on the NC700x (at least if it has not been raining!).

Just a personal preference; i like the ride up to Mt. Evans better than Pikes Peak but hey it's Pikes Peak, so go for it.

Enjoy your trip!

get the america rides maps of the area. (the ones centered on the Great Smokies and Asheville) They give gas stops, campgrounds etc. You can build up some good loop routes. There is another motorcycle campground near Waynesville. Blue Ridge MC campground. Try to hit the Dragon on a week day. Depending on route, you'll probably ride it on the way in. Weekends are crazy with lots of squids, fools, etc. Get the t-shirt and move to other roads. Cherokee to Mt Pisgah is some of the best BRP. Good roads off of it also. Don't miss 28 down through franklin to Highlands. Great waterfalls, twisty's and pretty good pavement. Stop at dry falls. Pretty neat.

Do a ride report. Want to see how this turns out.

Afan-inform us which one you decide and when you are leaving and the route you are taking. Many guys on the forum who could meet up and shoot the breeze with for a few-depending on which route you are taking.

Thanks guys for the help!
As I mentioned earlier, leaning toward the South.
So far I have this: I'm gonna need at least 2 days to get to the "area".Camping in Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground.
Day 3: Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, via Townsend to Great Smokey National Park (US-441, to Cherokee), Blue Ridge Parkway (southern part to French Broad River, I know it's only ~80 miles but dont'' have time to ride whole trail).
Day 4: from BRP to Walhalla, and then ride North by Moonshine 28, to Horse Cove Campground.
Day 5: leaving to Barber Motorcycle Museum.
Days 6, 7, 8 riding home via Tupelo, Memphis, Jonesboro, Lake Ozark...

Google Maps

Comments?

Back