• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which type of Master Link is this? I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs

The last few DID chains I purchased either online or through my local shop have included a rivet type link. If you wanted a clip style, you had to buy it extra. The DID combo tool does everything--and is available (I think still), from Mike's XS at a savings over the Motion pro. It has no markings, but it's the same tool. For the X-ring chains, you will need the pin portion of the tool with a "groove" around the large portion of the pin as this one has the proper configuration to press shape the rivets on DID-X. Mike may include this one now--don't know. Here is Mike's link
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-did-type-drive-chain-rivet-tool.html

If a clip type master link is properly installed, is there really any danger of it coming off on normal roads?
I often see the argument that something could strike the chain off road and dislodge the retaining clip, but I fail to see how this can happen on regular pavement.

JT
Great point!

I have the tool and the skills to stake the master link pins and still prefer the clip type. While it doesn't take long to break and stake a chain it's just easier to pop the clip off and back on. Just my opinion.
dduelin (or anyone, for that matter),
So, even seeing your primary motorcycles are now shaft drive, I still wanted to get your experice on chain master links. I've always used the rivet links on the NC, but since the new chain always seems to come with a clip link in the box, why not try it? I had a clip link on a dirt bike and the chain went through typical off road conditions like river crossings, sand, mud, flying rocks, etc. without ever losing the clip. So, you've used the clip type with good experience on your old NCs and would recommend them as reliable?

dduelin (or anyone, for that matter),
So, even seeing your primary motorcycles are now shaft drive, I still wanted to get your experice on chain master links. I've always used the rivet links on the NC, but since the new chain always seems to come with a clip link in the box, why not try it? I had a clip link on a dirt bike and the chain went through typical off road conditions like river crossings, sand, mud, flying rocks, etc. without ever losing the clip. So, you've used the clip type with good experience on your old NCs and would recommend them as reliable?
Yes, I trust the clip type without reservation. I did however upon assembly clean the new link and clip with solvent. When clipped in place I'd take a smear of RTV and fill in the open area of the clip as a belt and suspenders approach.

I used clip-type masters exclusively on my dirt bike chains without problems. It isn’t all that hard for a user to slightly bend or ‘spring’ the clip while trying to install it, and _that_ can make it depart easily. I’ve had that happen on ag equipment.

The one thing about clip-type masters is that the links themselves are rarely as strong as the rest of the links in the chain. That’s not really an issue on our bikes, but can be in industrial or agricultural applications.

I’d rather use clip-type links, myself. Like dduelin, I have the breakers and rivet tools to use rivet-type as well.

One can safety wire a clip type link. I went through this debate when I bought chain and sprockets for mine last year. Ended up going with rivet link and bought a rivet/breaker tool. Install was easy enough that I couldn't see any benefit to going to clip type link unless you really wanted to take chain on and off to clean on occasion. But the chain can be effectively cleaned on the bike, maybe even easier than going through the hassle of taking on and off. Of course, I don't know that I would trust the clip anymore if I removed it and reinstalled it. Could buy a new clip link, but at that point you could do the same with a rivet link. So, I guess it's just preference.

What's got you contemplating a clip link?

One can safety wire a clip type link. I went through this debate when I bought chain and sprockets for mine last year. Ended up going with rivet link and bought a rivet/breaker tool. Install was easy enough that I couldn't see any benefit to going to clip type link unless you really wanted to take chain on and off to clean on occasion. But the chain can be effectively cleaned on the bike, maybe even easier than going through the hassle of taking on and off. Of course, I don't know that I would trust the clip anymore if I removed it and reinstalled it. Could buy a new clip link, but at that point you could do the same with a rivet link. So, I guess it's just preference.

What's got you contemplating a clip link?
Every time I have purchased a new DID VX2, and just recently a VX3 chain, all from various vendors, it came with a clip type link in the box. Then if I want to go rivet style, I have to make a separate purchase for the rivet link. So new, unused clip links are piling up and I’m thinking, well if that’s what comes shipped with the chain, why not use them?

I’m always the skeptic when I read widespread advice to do something a certain way, like only use/trust a rivet link. My question would be, “Why”? Why should I not just use the clip link that came with the chain? Hence my question here on the forum.

Last edited:
Every time I have purchased a new DID VX2, and just recently a VX3 chain, all from various vendors, it came with a clip type link in the box. Then if I want to go rivet style, I have to make a separate purchase for the rivet link. So new, unused clip links are piling up and I’m thinking, well if that’s what comes shipped with the chain, why not use them?

I’m always the skeptic when I read widespread advice to do something a certain way, like only use/trust a rivet link. My question would be, “Why”? Why should I not just use the clip link that came with the chain? Hence my question here on the forum.
My thoughts would be clip links have likely failed enough on street bikes to where enough attention has been brought to the matter that the general consensus, statistically, probably proves rivet type is more reliable. If you're ok with accepting the risk after assessment and don't think the risk is high enough to worry about, nothing wrong with that either.

I'd think clip type on dirt bikes is more acceptable because dirt bike chains aren't as heavy duty as street bike chains, and don't operate under as high of rpms / speeds as street bikes. A dirt bike isn't ridden at constant speeds of 45-70+ mph. Can they run that fast? Yes, I've had mx bikes myself. But they generally are not ridden at normal speeds street bikes are driven at. More revolutions = more movement in the links over x amount of time. More speed = higher velocity at which those movements happen. Debris and whatnot on dirt bike chains has been mentioned, but I don't feel like that has an awful lot to do with clip link unless debris contacted the clip hard enough to move it to where it could easily come off.

I'm not saying any of my thoughts above are bible....just my thoughts, nothing more. And why I prefer rivet over clip based on what I believe to be pros and cons.

One thing I always think of is....a clip link is statistically more likely to fail based on design than a properly installed rivet link. Having a chain come apart in the middle of nowhere doesn't rank high on my super fun to-do list. So I'd much rather pay that extra $7 or so for a rivet link and just chunk the clip link in trash. Just for piece of mind. But that's just me.

The clip I have my chain now is a rivet...only because I had never done one and wanted to learn....always before used the clip style, and for my own piece of mine....I would roll out a small piece of JB Weld for boats and cover the clip, outside side of the link and wait 24 hours before I would ride it, never an issue....I always have JB Weld for boats handy....for my aluminum canoe, old tractor (1982 Case), cracks in top case, the brace for my lawn tractor mower deck wheel rusted off (from the inside out) and replaced the brace with JB Weld for boats (dont have a welder and dont know how to use one-never have actually held a welder in my hand), etc....

Looks like 4 people have had positive clip link experience, and no one reported a failed clip link experience, so on the next chain install, clip link it will be! Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like 4 people have had positive clip link experience, and no one reported a failed clip link experience, so on the next chain install, clip link it will be! Thanks for the feedback.
I had a failed clip link on my Versys riding To Alaska and 100 miles from nearest cell service. Macgyver repair got me back on road. Chain installed by dealer prior to trip. Now have a riveted link chain on. It does happen.

You are also in the lucky position of being able to have a bag full of clips in your frunk in case one fails. ;)

You are also in the lucky position of being able to have a bag full of clips in your frunk in case one fails. ;)
I considered that as well. I figure in this experiment, should I experience one failed or lost clip, I can coast to a stop, walk back down the road and get the chain, reinstall it with a spare clip, and thereafter go back to using rivet links. Or, if I experience no failures, then I'll always have the choice of using either link type with no concerns about reliability.

I had a failed clip link on my Versys riding To Alaska and 100 miles from nearest cell service. Macgyver repair got me back on road. Chain installed by dealer prior to trip. Now have a riveted link chain on. It does happen.
Yes, I was aware of your experience and it does factor in to my decision. I decided not to put much stock in your particular chain link failure, since as you said, it was installed by a dealer. As I recall, the dealer did not even install the chain brand you had requested, so their competence comes into question. We learned also that chain master link brand must match chain brand and type, as even with the same nominal chain sizes, the master link is not a guaranteed fit across brands.

One thing for sure, using the clips will sure shorten the installation time. I may have been a little too meticulous with the rivet install as I measured numerous times while mushrooming the rivets. No regrets, but it took considerable time and patience.

One thing for sure, using the clips will sure shorten the installation time. I may have been a little too meticulous with the rivet install as I measured numerous times while mushrooming the rivets. No regrets, but it took considerable time and patience.
Measure 6 times, squish 5. :p

I considered that as well. I figure in this experiment, should I experience one failed or lost clip, I can coast to a stop, walk back down the road and get the chain, reinstall it with a spare clip, and thereafter go back to using rivet links. Or, if I experience no failures, then I'll always have the choice of using either link type with no concerns about reliability

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link" very true that is why HONDA used a 630 endless chain on 77 CB750F. I have installed many master link chains(was a Honda mechanic in the 80s) and never had a problem(cleaned link of oil after install and used silicone, weather strip cement or safety wire) ALLWAYS make sure the solid part of clip is in direction of travel. When using a rivet style its VERY important to not over peen, you may get cracks(get a new clip and do again). All rivets have criteria, Min max on Dia. When i did my rivet style(RK GXW) i cleaned and painted it yellow to always check when lubing.

Don't let dealer install chain. If they do, inspect their work.

Back