• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which type of Master Link is this? I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs

Thanks everyone. That's how I got the bike from the previous owner. I'll order a master link and put a clip on it. The chain is almost ready to replace.
I always put on a staked or peened master link. Permanent and the clip is no longer a worry.
My preference. I know people are running clips on a 700 but it is not OEM that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I always put on a staked or peened master link. Permanent and the clip is no longer a worry.
My preference. I know people are running clips on a 700 but it is not OEM that way.

The only wild card in staked or peened master link ......is........it has to be done correctly. While it’s not incredibly difficult with the proper tool and skills .........it can be done wrong.

Here's something I learned when a friend's master link clip went AWOL. For a given chain size among different chain brands, the master links are not exactly alike. One brand's master link may or may not fit on another brand's chain. Buy/carry a link of the same brand (and size, of course) as the chain.

The only wild card in staked or peened master link ......is........it has to be done correctly. While it’s not incredibly difficult with the proper tool and skills .........it can be done wrong.
Yes, but with the right tool (which I have) it is incredibly easy. I had my 11 yr old do it with me while I was coaching him. RK brand can be had for $90 on the net. Chain and sprockets for around that.
Having a honda shop put on a stock chain and sprockets will cost you that much. Plenty of tutorials on doing it on YouTube. Having a dial or digital caliper is important to have.

I have the tool and the skills to stake the master link pins and still prefer the clip type. While it doesn't take long to break and stake a chain it's just easier to pop the clip off and back on. Just my opinion.

I have the tool and the skills to stake the master link pins and still prefer the clip type. While it doesn't take long to break and stake a chain it's just easier to pop the clip off and back on. Just my opinion.
Of course... and please people do not think that I am trying to say anyone is wrong. This is just an exchange of ideas between friends! That's why I like this forum. Plenty of different experiences to draw from...

^^^ This^^^^ I had no idea that I would need to dust off the old Starrett to get the correct size "mushroom". Was pretty amazed that it had a tolerance!

You make a fine point...Too little “mushroom” and the plate could work its way off. Too much spread of the rivets and you’ve effectively made the plate too tight (Or possibly split the head and weakened the rivet) which could lead to a stiff link in the chain. When mushrooming the rivet heads, patience is indeed a virtue..:)

The Motion Pro chain tool that I have ($65) has a shoulder on the flare tip that flares out the link pins. Once you press the outter plate on, you swap to the flare tip, crank down on it until the metal of the link pin flares out and touches the shoulder on the flare tip, then it's done. Pretty simple and failsafe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 700x will be the first pinned / staked type chain I've done......when it's time to replace. First time'er.......that'll be fun.

If a clip type master link is properly installed, is there really any danger of it coming off on normal roads?
I often see the argument that something could strike the chain off road and dislodge the retaining clip, but I fail to see how this can happen on regular pavement.

JT

If a clip type master link is properly installed, is there really any danger of it coming off on normal roads?
I often see the argument that something could strike the chain off road and dislodge the retaining clip, but I fail to see how this can happen on regular pavement.

JT

My previous Kawasaki dirt bike had a clip type master link. I ran that bike through mud, sand, rocks, and water until I wore out the chain, and never had a problem with the clip coming off. On the other hand, Fuzzy made it from Georgia to up well along the Alaska Highway in British Columbia on his VersysX when the chain peeled off on the highway, master link missing. So, I had no trouble off road, he had trouble on road. But I think the key words were in your question: properly installed. Fuzzy’s clip style chain link was installed by a dealer. Did the master link brand match the chain brand, was the clip installed completely, was the clip installed facing the right direction? We’ll never know.

Correct or not I'm not sure , but , I've read that choosing to pin a master link or use a clip depends on bikes "power" output? ; I presume what I read had something to do with tensile strength of one versus the other......pinned or clip type ?. I'm no engineer , so choose with knowledgeable data.

I would expect that the strength of the master link is in its side plates. Any pull on the chain goes through the pins and into the side plates. If the side plates stretch, you an undersized chain. There shouldn’t be any stress on the clip other than the rubber o-rings pressing outward. No engine force on the chain in normal operation should have any effect on the retaining clip itself.
So long as the retaining clip is not bent and it is installed properly, it should hold for the life of the chain.

JT

Back