• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which screen for a newbie?

2016 stock shield installed. I’ve had my bike a few months now and originally the wind didn’t bug me but the longer my rides the more I’m getting beat down which causes fatigue. I’m 6’7 and from what I’ve gathered the puig won’t make much of a difference for me, but man that madstad is ugly in my opinion.

I had a Madstad on my Tiger and it worked well. But I can’t stand the looks so not fitting one to my nc unless I go touring but that’s not going to happen.

If you haven't ridden the bike yet, how do you know you want to change the screen?

All I use the screen for is minimizing the wind push at high speeds, like 80 mph.
I agree with this comment 100%. First I think the stock screen looks good on the bike. Secondly, I recently completed a 2,450 mile ride and at 5'10", my neck only hurt the first day and last day, when I was forced to make distance on I-20, riding 6-7 hours on the Interstate at 80 mph. Other than that, I had no issues with the motorcycle whatsoever. If you are of similar height, I suggest waiting to see how the stock screen works for you.

I have the MRA Vario and it works well for me when I have high quality ear plugs in. Minimal turbulence. I have the same shield on my BMW !200R and the noise and turbulence levels are almost identical between the two bikes. I regularly do 600 mile days with the screen with no undue fatigue. Quality product that looks great on the NC.

FWIW, neither my wife nor myself use ear plugs while riding. Some of that is due to the Madstad windscreens working so well. Some of that is due quiet to full face helmets, not all helmets are the same, some are pretty quiet, some noisy. But the Madstad, if it is sized properly, puts the turbulence just over your helmet. Even with my Arai and all the vents closed, its louder for me to ride her bike than to ride mine because her windscreen is sized for her 5'8" height not my 6' height.

My 2012 1st winter service I installed the factory touring screen,made of Lexan much stronger than plexiglas. A few years ago put on a MRA touring 15" wide 6" tall. Used the bolt on version and bolted it to the angled area after removing the trim be mindful of edge distance and hole size(1.5ed and press fit of inserts). I'am 6'4" and this works great can adjust for airflow. By lowering the links or raising and angle adjustment it works for Hot summer days or cold nights. The angles of both shields look like they were made for each other. This was not the cheapest way to go but over the years has worked well and looks factory made.

If anyone needs an MRA Vario in the U.K. I have one for sale just replaced with a Givi on a Palmer bracket, much cheaper and better looking than the Madstad.

If anyone needs an MRA Vario in the U.K. I have one for sale just replaced with a Givi on a Palmer bracket, much cheaper and better looking than the Madstad.
Nobody buys a Madstad for the looks. They buy them because for many riders they are simply the best windshield on the market.

Let's see if I understand what you are saying:
  • You invested in an MRA Vario.
  • And you invested in a Givi.
  • And you invested in a Palmer (or at least the bracket for a Palmer)
  • Then you spent a bit of time messing about and dissatisfied with your choices before you finally found a combination that apparently works.
Somehow I think all that time, and then investing in all those random bits and pieces, probably equals a lot more grief than just buying a properly sized Madstad and getting on with happy motorcycling.

Let's see if I understand what you are saying:
  • You invested in an MRA Vario.
  • And you invested in a Givi.
  • And you invested in a Palmer (or at least the bracket for a Palmer)
  • Then you spent a bit of time messing about and dissatisfied with your choices before you finally found a combination that apparently works.
Somehow I think all that time, and then investing in all those random bits and pieces, probably equals a lot more grief than just buying a properly sized Madstad and getting on with happy motorcycling.
I enjoy the chase. I don’t see motorcycling as just riding. I like to experiment and make my bikes my own. So you’re just saying no matter what bike you own just stick a Madstad on it job done.

You made the comment that what you did is much cheaper. I’ll leave out the better looking comment as that is subjective. Can’t see how what you did could be much cheaper even if you place zero value on your time.

You made the comment that what you did is much cheaper. I’ll leave out the better looking comment as that is subjective. Can’t see how what you did could be much cheaper even if you place zero value on your time.
All in for both screens and the bracket it was about £180 and the Madstad is nearly £300 in the U.K. But it wasn’t price that swayed me it was the looks and more ventilation for summer riding.
When I had one on the Tiger I had Madstad cut one down to 16” as they didn’t do one then, just so I could lower it more when I wanted more air.
I’m also thinking of doing my nc the same colour of green.

Attachments

• AD582DF6-6363-44C7-A356-4CEEC0738330.jpeg
    AD582DF6-6363-44C7-A356-4CEEC0738330.jpeg
    816.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I've had three different bikes with Madstads. One was a Triumph Tiger 800R like the one pictured by Wedder. The stock and optional adjustable 'touring screen' have to be among the worst windshields ever fitted on a motorcycle. They are good looking but noisy and actually battered my helmet from turbulence. I found out with that bike you don't lower or cut down the Madstad shield, you raise it, to get more air. If the shield is properly sized, raising it opens the slot at the bottom and allows more air to pass into the slot under the bottom edge and and into the cockpit. This also works on the NC700 plus with the NC700 model you also can remove the winglets.

Hi - I recently purchased at 2020 model NC 750 X DCT with a plan for using it for long distance touring. I searched around a lot for a taller touring screen and have settled for one from www.gpkompozit.com based in Turkey. For around 89 USD plus shipping the price is considerably less than the better known brands. The screen I chose is transparent and measures 58 cms tall - stock screen is 38 cm. This company carries a lot of items for the NC 700x - 750x series. A German biker friend of mine who lives in Turkey and is used to riding BMWs checked the store out for me and it seems like they have a good reputation for quality and service.
I also bought the same windshield, but it puts the wind right on my visor and creates turbulence. Just ordered a Palmer bracket to make it adjustable, and hopefully get everything how I want it. If not, I'm thinking I need to sell the bike, cause I've tried 2 other shields already.

I went against the majority opinion a bit and from my first ride I'm pretty well pleased! I bought the Givi for $81 (from Twisted Throttle, free shipping) which basically added a few inches to the top of the screen and a couple inches in width. With the stock screen I was getting significant buffeting. After an hour or so of riding I was getting tired. The Givi made a world of difference on my first ride with it. There's still considerable blow at my shoulders and arms but my chest is fully protected (6'3") and on top the wind was thrown nicely toward the top of my head. My evidence is, and I don't think the picture does it justice, is that my bug splats are almost entirely on the top half of my visor from this evening. This means the wind was flowing toward the top and over my heard instead of into it as it had in the stock screen. Only one ride with the Givi but it is doing just what I wanted out of the box.

Note: I wouldn't start shopping for a screen till I rode the bike a while with the stock screen either. The stock screen is nice, just not high or wide enough for me.

Attachments

• 20210428_195121[1].jpg
    20210428_195121[1].jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
OEM touring windscreen with x-creen sport spoiler. Looks good and works great. Oh ya and very economical. 62F47394-A8AF-46C9-9B39-0013BF10C5A0.jpeg

Back