• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which screen for a newbie?

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
I am collecting my nc750x dct tomorrow. I haven’t yet ridden the bike but know I want to change the screen. I have previously had a Tiger and the best screen for that was a Madstad but it looked awful.
What screens do the forum members recommend I am 5’8” or 1.75m and I am lowering the bike cos I don’t like tiptoeing around.
Thanks

My wife and I both have Madstad windscreens. Her's is shorter. She also has a Soupy's Performance adjustable lowering kit on her NC700x

>>>-- EDIT --> I read a lot of complaints about both GIVI and the Honda Touring windscreens for the NC7--X bikes. Madstad is definitely a large touring style windscreen and that may not be suitable for everyone, but the ONLY complaint I have with my Madstad is that it works really well, too well in really hot & humid conditions when I'm in slow moving traffic.

Last edited:
Madstad has been my choice.

If you haven't ridden the bike yet, how do you know you want to change the screen?

All I use the screen for is minimizing the wind push at high speeds, like 80 mph.
I’ve got it now had a 60mile ride home mostly on motorway.

. . .
All I use the screen for is minimizing the wind push at high speeds, like 80 mph.
Minimizing wind push, yes. But anyone who rides a long runs at even 50mph, clearly can benefit from a proper windscreen if the riding position from their bike puts their chest squarely into the wind. Wind takes it toll on riders and increases fatigue.

At this point I'm not advocating for any specific windscreen, but simply commenting on riding and wind. Running commutes with stop & go, and short speed runs, no windscreen needed. But 90 minutes one way at 45-55-65mph on highways and rural byways can be enough to start getting wind fatigued.

Determine your riding style and roads, if you need a screen get one. If you want a screen get one.

I had the stock screen and the tall Honda screen. Bought the Madstad and its perfect for me. Adjustable in seconds, good quality shield. Only drawback is the price.

I have used a Madstad on a Tiger. It was definitely efficient but I don’t like the looks or the price. This is my second bike and I promised myself not to spend too much money on it.
Does anyone have experience of the MRA? I like the looks of that one and the price is better.

Just be careful of the windscreen height. A mid sized screen on an NC will typically direct the air
flow at your neck or helmet, making for a noisy, buffeting ride. Tall or short is good. Medium not so good.

Last edited:
I think where the Madstad can win out is width. I know that width has been effective for baggers.

Buy once, cry once, then enjoy the quality, value and functionality of the purchase every time you use it.

If you buy something solely for it's lower price and then don't like it you add that cost to what you end up buying.

The Madstad's beauty is in function but you know that and if the looks bother you there's not anything else to talk about.

The photo at the beach is my 2018 NC750 DCT with the stock windscreen and one of those eBay attachments. It worked great (for the price) for getting me the 50 miles home. The rubber inside had deteriorated, but I wrapped it with tape to avoid scratching the stock screen when I attached it. It attaches by tightening down 4 hex bolts. I had to stop after a short bit on the freeway to raise it up all the way, but that is done with a separate handle.

The other photo is my current set up, with a new eBay "Windshield Extension Deflector" that I just got attached to the Puig windscreen:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Windshield-Extension-Deflector-Adjustable-Clip-Fit-for-Motorcycle-BMW-KTM/123789154325?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I had to put this one together and it had zero instructions, so just refer to the eBay images. I like the Puig because it attaches to the stock screens 4 holes, can be removed and replaced in a few minutes, and looks good. With the eBay deflector I can raise or lower the height to give me more protection or more wind, if I need it on hot days, or I could remove it.20200619_125341.jpg20200627_153527.jpg

It's all personal. I like getting some wind and I ride a lot in the heat, so that pushed me away from the much loved Madstadt.

I run the MRA Vario on a Palmer Bracket. It's massively adjustable but it's not that wide and you will get wind on your shoulders. For me, i like having the wind blast of a naked bike at 30mph while I'm doing 75 mph, which is what it lets me dial in. When I'm putting around town I set it less aggressive and still get decent air for cooling.

I got a great deal on the MRA Vario by taking the clear screen, so it wound up being the price of a Madstadt all told. The Palmer bracket isn't cheap.

It's all personal. I like getting some wind and I ride a lot in the heat, so that pushed me away from the much loved Madstadt.

I run the MRA Vario on a Palmer Bracket. It's massively adjustable but it's not that wide and you will get wind on your shoulders. For me, i like having the wind blast of a naked bike at 30mph while I'm doing 75 mph, which is what it lets me dial in. When I'm putting around town I set it less aggressive and still get decent air for cooling.

I got a great deal on the MRA Vario by taking the clear screen, so it wound up being the price of a Madstadt all told. The Palmer bracket isn't cheap.
i am pretty much the same as you. I have just picked up a tinted MRA vario off eBay for £65. What’s a Palmer bracket?

It's a bracket that lifts up the screen a couple inches from the mounts and then lets you also raise and lower it a few inches vertically as well as changing the angle of attack. It's not cheap, and I haven't seen it come up used a whole lot. I got it with the baffle (closes the gap between the bike and screen when you want it) and the bar that lets you mount accessories.

It's a really nice bit of kit, but whether it's worth it is 100% personal.

Something I read years ago (dont remember where) which I use for my windshields on my bikes....The top of the windscreen should be on the same plane as the tip of your nose (horizontal to your nose). On my Nc700x, I have a 22" CeeBailey (not available anymore) and the top is horizontal to the tip of my nose in my normal riding position...On my C50 Boulevard, I have an cheap Amazon adjustable windshield and I was able to adjust it to the same plane...The wind off of both shields hit just the top of my helmet. Oh yea, I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Last fall I had a Puig on the Nc700x for a few weeks,,,until a rock hauler coming the other direction lost a big rock, bounced up and busted the windshield (better the windshield than my head)...so I put the Cee Baileys back on....Too bad those are not made anymore...really like it and it has couple of cracks around the bolt holes...small, covered with stickers, but I know they are there...

Just Googled the Palmer bracket. It looks like a Madstad when fitted. I haven’t been out on my bike with the MRA on. I’ve just bought the bike and it’s in my garage getting all its new additions like you do, well I do. So far I’ve fitted lowering links, a Ducati rear shock and the screen. I have on order Race Tech fork internals and preload adjusters and loads of other little bits like bigger foot pegs etc.

In the Triumph Tiger 800 world the Palmer shield is somewhat popular particularly in the the UK where it is from. The Madstad for the Tiger is their best selling current system and between the two the Palmer flops around a lot more than the Madstad does. I don't know if its due to the mount or the shield itself but I thought the Palmer on the Tiger I test rode before buying one was pretty flimsy.

In the Triumph Tiger 800 world the Palmer shield is somewhat popular particularly in the the UK where it is from. The Madstad for the Tiger is their best selling current system and between the two the Palmer flops around a lot more than the Madstad does. I don't know if its due to the mount or the shield itself but I thought the Palmer on the Tiger I test rode before buying one was pretty flimsy.

I found the one on my NC700 (2013) to be rock solid BUT I did put a little muscle on the twisty adjustment bolts every time I checked the chain.

Hi - I recently purchased at 2020 model NC 750 X DCT with a plan for using it for long distance touring. I searched around a lot for a taller touring screen and have settled for one from www.gpkompozit.com based in Turkey. For around 89 USD plus shipping the price is considerably less than the better known brands. The screen I chose is transparent and measures 58 cms tall - stock screen is 38 cm. This company carries a lot of items for the NC 700x - 750x series. A German biker friend of mine who lives in Turkey and is used to riding BMWs checked the store out for me and it seems like they have a good reputation for quality and service.

Back