• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

where to locate spare key

NCX19

Reaction score
Visit site
When travelling, I'm paranoid about losing the key, so I'm looking for a place to put a spare .... but hidden.

Anyone already brainstorm this problem and have a suggestion?

I’ve heard of people making a way to attach the key inside their motorcycle boot. Inside a special coat pocket is a good idea, too.

If I told you where my spare key is hidden, then it wouldn’t be a secret place anymore.

Making a dedicated key for the frunk can help this situation, too. See this thread: Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment. At least it makes it more difficult to accidentally lock your main key inside the frunk. It also means your spare could be inside the frunk or under the passenger seat. You would need to loose both the main key and the frunk key to not have access to the spare.

Last edited:
I made 4 spares 2 for the frunk and 2 that work the ignition (and the frunk of course)

I put an ignition key in the paperwork compartment at the very bottom of the frunk, I zip tied a key that opens the frunk near the back side of the headlight kind if by the turn signal (it's zip tied to the metal tubing) I also carry a spare for the frunk in my wallet and left the remaining spare ignition key at home in a safe.

I can use my frunk key from my wallet to open the trunk and get access to the ignition key, if if list my wallet and keys (unlikely but possible) I can snap the zip tied key lose using only the key for leverage, it's hidden away out of sight and the zip tie hasn't become brittle due to heat or sunlight, it's been there 2 or 3 years now

1035b2ef23068526f92ab194432cb056.jpg

I got my spare keys at ace hardware for a dollar and change each

I've been holding off making a dedicated frunk key because I haven't a good handle to mount the key, just last week I found the cap to nail polish remover is the perfect diameter to blend well enough to look OEM

Last edited:
thanks for the replies ... and Rippin .... locating a spare frunk key in front cowl with hidden ignition key in frunk sounds like a great solution.

For my car, I carry two sets of keys. One has the car key and the key for the Club.
The other, only the car key. I keep the Club on the car if I am warming it up and
use the keys without the Club key to warm the car up.
You could do something like this for the bike

Previously, I would keep a spare key in my wallet.

Inside jacket pocket, also some Joe Rocket jackets like my summer mesh jacket has a key clip and I'll keep it there.

I use a safety pin to secure it to the inside pocket of my riding jacket. That way, if I lay down the jacket and pick it up, I don't have to worry about the key falling out. :)

I leave my frunk key on the bike all the time. I understand its probably not for everyone. Odds are pretty good only other NC riders would know its a key or a frunk.

Attachments

• 20201031_222202.jpg
    20201031_222202.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20201031_222231.jpg
    20201031_222231.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Back