• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where to live?

I've lived in New Jersey, Chicago, LA, Utah, Jackson hole, LA again, and finally have settled in Monterey ca. Great weather, not crowded, no pollution due to no local industry. I call it paradise for me but expensive. If I hadn't moved from LA I could not have dealt with the cost of real estate here. It gets down into the 30's but doesn't snow so you can ride all year. Summer is high in 80's except inland where you can find 100 f if you miss it.

Here's my summary opinions

NJ Too crowded
Chicago too cold and too hot in summer
Los Angeles; to much of everything, way way too crowded, bad pollution but great beaches.
Utah; too cold
Jackson hole; way too cold; saw -38 F

I lived in Monterey CA when I was a kid. Loved it! Actually, it was Carmel by the sea where we lived the first time, then Monterey. It seemed to me there was summer and fog (winter).

Central coast of California?
k

That would be my choice. Someone in San Luis Obispo (SLO) or near there.

Mrs. StratTuner and I have decided to live out the "golden years" 50 miles north of San Diego in the Temecula Valley. It's warm in the summer, but it's close enough to the pacific ocean that the onshore flow keeps that to a minimum. Lots of nightlife and live music at the wineries and tasting rooms in town. (We're going out to hear live music tonight, for example.)

You just can't beat the southern Oregon coast if temperature is your major criterion. It may dip a little below 50F in the winter, but not much. A warm day for us in the summer is 70-75F. I ride my NC and play golf pretty much year around. Cost of living is a lot less than anywhere in California. You have the ocean, numerous rivers for rafting, fishing, etc. A few hours drive will get you to the Cascade mountains where many other possibilities for leisure and recreation open up. It does rain some during the winter months, but you have to remember it is a dry rain! I grew up in the deep South, lived in So. Cal. for a while, and in Iowa, and this is the most benign area weather-wise that I have lived in. When I see the floods, the heat waves, the blizzards, the hurricanes and tornadoes in other parts of the country I think we are extremely fortunate with our weather.

You just can't beat the southern Oregon coast if temperature is your major criterion. It may dip a little below 50F in the winter, but not much. A warm day for us in the summer is 70-75F. I ride my NC and play golf pretty much year around. Cost of living is a lot less than anywhere in California. You have the ocean, numerous rivers for rafting, fishing, etc. A few hours drive will get you to the Cascade mountains where many other possibilities for leisure and recreation open up. It does rain some during the winter months, but you have to remember it is a dry rain! I grew up in the deep South, lived in So. Cal. for a while, and in Iowa, and this is the most benign area weather-wise that I have lived in. When I see the floods, the heat waves, the blizzards, the hurricanes and tornadoes in other parts of the country I think we are extremely fortunate with our weather.
Hrrm...I was on the Oregon coast last May, and it was 40 degrees and poured rain on me the whole time (it was only two days, but still). It was also 40 degrees and pouring the entire day I was on I-5 NB from the CA border to the WA border. Everyone said the weather was unusual, I can only assume Oregon hates me - which is a shame, because what I saw of the place seemed quite nice.

I spent January in Florence, Oregon (on the coast) and it rarely got over 40* during the day! and lots lower at night. Plus the light rain was present most of the month, and the wind made it cooler. Summer is probably only 60* daytime.
But it is pretty!

Hrrm...I was on the Oregon coast last May, and it was 40 degrees and poured rain on me the whole time (it was only two days, but still). It was also 40 degrees and pouring the entire day I was on I-5 NB from the CA border to the WA border. Everyone said the weather was unusual, I can only assume Oregon hates me - which is a shame, because what I saw of the place seemed quite nice.

If you were on I-5 you were not on the Oregon coast. The weather in the valley is colder and hotter than the weather on the coast. In fact you can go 20-25 miles inland from the coast and the weather changes.

I spent January in Florence, Oregon (on the coast) and it rarely got over 40* during the day! and lots lower at night. Plus the light rain was present most of the month, and the wind made it cooler. Summer is probably only 60* daytime.
But it is pretty!

When you get to Florence you are in the central coast area of Oregon and the weather there is different in winter than on the south coast. Cloudier and more rain the further north you move on the Oregon coast during winter. The big negative we have during the summer is when the valley heats up it draws fog in off the ocean which can be cool and damp. The hotter it gets in the valley the further in from the coastline the fog comes.

Thank you all - very interesting. Just got to wait for the kids to leave home...:(

We're planning a big RV trip next summer - we were going to wander around CA but will try include Oregon (although have to squeeze the Grand Canyon in somehow).

I'm getting to this conversation late because I'm on vacation in Florida. It doesn't meet your criteria. LOL. Disney on the 4th of July was a mistake. Anyway. I don't think you could find anywhere in the US that stays within that range. I've lived in 10 of the US states. A couple in the west coast, a couple on the east coast, and a few in the center of north america. I did live in Vicenza, Italy for 4 years. Vicenza comes closer to your requirements than anywhere in the US. The average summer temp is 86F and the average winter temp is 41F. Those are pretty close to your limits.

The best part. Since your in the northern portion of Italy you are very close to mountain roads. I'm a skier and a rider. I was in heaven for four years. If money weren't an issue I'd probably move to northern Italy.

Back