• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where stands your "fear line"?

Metzeler tires have had the elephant molded into the thread for many years. The OEM tires on my 2012 NC used the elephant out on the thread edge. See post #8 first page of this thread.

Crimson Tide and Oakland Athletics.
At one time "seeing the elephant" had a variety of meanings related to a memorable experience, like being in a gunfight or seeing the west.

My chicken strips are about 2,5cm from the edge of the tire.
There are not a lot of sharp bends where I live, and I mainly ride highway and city.

The amount of tyre tread that is usable can depend on the profile of the tread on the tyre and the width of the rim. It can also depend on the pressures in the tyres and the weight of the bike at any particular time and its load. I have posted three pics from three of my bikes. The fourth is a dirt bike so it is not really relevant for this comparison. The Africa Twin and the Dominator are using almost all of the tread while the Triumph is not. I am equally happy with the grip and handling of all three bikes. However the Triumph uses the highest pressure @ 38psi and also the tyre has a slightly higher profile with the tread extending more onto the sidewalls. I believe I would be seriously pushing my luck on the Triumph to get it fully scrubbed from normal road use. Just some thoughts.

Triumph......

P1050703.jpg

Africa Twin.....

P1050704.jpg

Dominator......

P1050705.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've rubbed my boots and a foot peg once each going around a corner, and both times I was probably going faster than I should around a corner (20-30 around a sharp 90-deg and the other around a roundabout). Still have about an inch of unworn tire on the rear, both sides.

Tire with maximum tread at lean. Which is it?

Interesting thread, I need to get some answers for myself.
Recently changed stock wheels to smaller set going from 21/18" to a 19/17" setup.
Put on Michelin Anakee3 tires (has a flat profile, not good for riding twisties or the track)
Looking for a tire solution but would also like confirmation from track guys/sport riders that this scenario is possible.
I am coming to a conclusion that I am running out of tire tread before scraping pegs.
This is what the tire looks like after running a few hundred miles including the Tail of the Dragon.
2018Dragon.jpg
ee199d812ec61a6029a87d45595f4e36.jpg

I do like to lean and push the bike's limits to um... 80%? So, looking for a tire that has a correct profile
to give me an additional 20% more tread than the Anakee3's.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'll put down hard parts before I reach the edge of the tire so... I guess that means I'm going as far as I can.
Not really. It means you are well within safe zone.
When I rode my NC700X, I had removed the feelers (stock pegs) and still touched pegs without running out of tire tread.
I'm in unknown territory with my AT mod, since Rally Raid only started shipping the low wheel set in March.

Interesting thread, I need to get some answers for myself.
Recently changed stock wheels to smaller set going from 21/18" to a 19/17" setup.
Put on Michelin Anakee3 tires (has a flat profile, not good for riding twisties or the track)
Looking for a tire solution but would also like confirmation from track guys/sport riders that this scenario is possible.
I am coming to a conclusion that I am running out of tire tread before scraping pegs.
This is what the tire looks like after running a few hundred miles including the Tail of the Dragon.

I do like to lean and push the bike's limits to um... 80%? So, looking for a tire that has a correct profile
to give me an additional 20% more tread than the Anakee3's.
Any suggestions?

The obvious solution would be to just lower the pegs.

Looking forward to getting rid of the chicken strips on the NC700x I am picking up tomorrow! The pics from earlier in the thread of the NC on the track is cool! I used to do trackdays and would love to even be able to do one more one day just to ride in a controlled environment on a nice big track. Feel like I have to explain in every thread I post in LOL but had a crash in 2010 and lost left leg below the knee. Been riding cruisers since due to knee wont bend past 90 degrees. Highway pegs on a dct NC700X may just be the answer to get back to decent performance in the curves. I'm so pumped to see how the NC does after riding cruisers for 8 years. Lol. Literally didn't even know the NC with DCT even existed, otherwise I would have had one years ago.

Some old trackday pics from 2008-2009 era. Man do I miss it!

9835b343a34857ddb653a6f5f548455e.jpg

b4fa0a65f7294a61288c574bd3adaa4e.jpg

cb11589e0e00458ba6de8620d64b9504.jpg

8d5d80d95fc9169ebce8ccc7b5d97a0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think my fear line is about to move. The 6 year old Dunlop Trailmax 609D tires that came on my new/leftover NC700X are about to be replaced with Dunlop Q3+ tires. I enjoy riding a slow bike fast & the old Trailmax tires have no feedback so I don't push it hard. I haven't ruled out Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa 2 (name long enough?) but leaning toward the Dunlop. I don't ride off road or in the rain if I can avoid it.

I think my fear line is about to move. The 6 year old Dunlop Trailmax 609D tires that came on my new/leftover NC700X are about to be replaced with Dunlop Q3+ tires. I enjoy riding a slow bike fast & the old Trailmax tires have no feedback so I don't push it hard. I haven't ruled out Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa 2 (name long enough?) but leaning toward the Dunlop. I don't ride off road or in the rain if I can avoid it.
The Q3+ is badass, you won't regret running them! 35/35 street psi

Also let me know if you find any where to buy them cheaper than sportbike track gear. I think they were $271 shipped for my bike. And I just picked up an extra rear tire but just got the regular Q3 and it was only $135 shipped.

There's a rebate on Dunlops until April 30. I've read "up to $100" but not sure until my Q3+ are installed. They arrived last Friday but it's raining for a week so they won't be installed until maybe this Friday. If the monsoon stops. Having the dealer install them.. Without the rebate they were $357.16 including our 8% sales tax. here. I'll post the rebate amount I get once they're on the bike. I was doing the online rebate until they asked me the cost of install.

Had a 5 hour break between thunderstorms & got them installed today. Did the online rebate for $60. Went straight home & hope to scrub them in next dry day. Love the feel of these just zig zagging some on the way home. They told me to take it easy until the wax coating wears off 50-100 miles. They said the factory puts that on to preserve them.

Reactions: MZ5
I think that's actually residual release agent from the mold, but either way, you're wise to let that wear off before pushing the tires at all.

Back