• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where stands your "fear line"?

My chicken strips are about 24mm.. I imagine they wont get much smaller for a while given i have about 1700mi total riding experience. Staying within my personal limits is my #1 concern.

Hi all,

this picture of my Bridgestone BT23R was taken after some turns on the racetrack in Padborg in South-Denmark. My SuperMoto was out of order so I had to use my daily NC700X. Inspite of the relatively low power I had a lot of fun but it was obvious that the NC isn't designed for the race-track. The maximum lean angle of about 40° is far away from that of other bikes. In right turns the limitation is given from the exhaust, in left turns the side stand throws out sparks.

However, the NC is save even at higher lean angles. Don't be shy - it works!

Knut

Attachments

• NC700X_dyn_vorne_links_1024.jpg
    NC700X_dyn_vorne_links_1024.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 697
  • Reifen_hinten.jpg
    Reifen_hinten.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:
Hi all,

this picture of my Bridgestone BT23R was taken after some turns on the racetrack in Padborg in South-Denmark. My SuperMoto was out of order so I had to use my daily NC700X. Inspite of the relatively low power I had a lot of fun but it was obvious that the NC isn't designed for the race-track. The maximum lean angle of about 40° is far away from that of other bikes. In right turns the limitation is given from the exhaust, in left turns the side stand throws out sparks.

Knut

Looks like the tires on my old GSX-R, God how I love sticky rubber and all the parts you can grind because of it. The stock rubber has it's limits and are pressure sensitive as all hell. The other day I had the back end get squirmy on me in a turn, 4 psi low and it felt like I was running a totally different compound. Watch your pressures! I'll be trying some interesting new compounds when these wear out.

i was gonna measure my chicken strips, but i came across the dipping sauce before the tape measure...so i ate em!

i was gonna measure my chicken strips, but i came across the dipping sauce before the tape measure...so i ate em![/QUOTE
nothing better then chicken strips, fry's and dipping sauce, and a drink, yum dale
just remember when you run out of chicken strips!!!!!! YOU CRASH!!!!!

I used to have tyres like that on my fazer/thundercat till I realise I'm old enough to know better!
since then I've not bothered looking to see if my chicks have worn.
quite frankly I don't care. as long me and my good lass still enjoy being on the bike that's good enough for me.
nothing worse than coming home and thinking that was bloody close..why on earth did I do this or that??
bugger that so I've slowed down a lot and that is one of the reason I bought the NC.
what I was looking for was good mpg,comfort,handling,stopping(brakes) pull from low down,low rev's, cruise all day long at 80mph..
if it do those then that's good enough for me.

ride your bike that you feel comfortable at and dont become one more statistics and bereaved families adding flowers on the road side.
if you can do that then we'll be pleased.

I imagine a nice parking lot would at least allow you to feel what a serious lean is like, give you an idea before the road. I know one of the main reasons for motorcycle accidents is the rider misses the corner, either not braking enough or not leaning enough. They just run off the side into who knows what. I'm no great leaner myself, and it's been a while.

hee hee no fookers will know Iusethis:p.........
Mr-Skill-Makita-Angle-Grinder.jpg

Hi all,

Knut

Sorry, nice try... U still got about 2-3mm of chicken strips left!!! LOL

There are a lot of variables that comes to play with regards to lean angle.

Sometimes the fastest way around a curve does not involve getting a knee down. Even at the race track, some of the lines do not require extreme lean angles where you are...or are...dragging elbows.

On the street and especially in the B Group on trackdays where there is a photographer, a lot of rider's tend to try to look good for the camera. Unfortunately when that happens a crash comes next.

If you want to increase your lean angle confidence, the best way is to go to the track. The NC700X would do fine on a trackday. I have seen scooters and cruisers on the track. I track/race a 2008 Ninja 250.

Once you develop your skill/talent, then you will want to make changes to the bike. I would go to Racetech's website and would make sure the bike is sprung properly for your weight. You can then add Gold Valve Emulators to simulate sportbike forks and have a degree of adjustability. (You would have to remove the fork caps, spring, spacer, etc and retrieve the emulator to make adjustments and then reinstall).

I am currently scratching my head to see if it is possible to fit the Honda F3 fork cartridges and fork tops to the NC700X since the fork tubes are the same diameter. I would just need to find out the damper rod holding bolt dimensions and thread pitch of the fork caps as well as the lenght of the two forks.

This may be a project I may take upon sooner than later since I have done an F3 cartridge fork upgrade to my Bonneville's forks.

In my young life it wasn't just about getting rid of the strips, the sides of the tires had to be worn more than the center too. The group I rode with picked the windiest rides, and raced up mountains. If you had more center tire wear you were made constant fun of. I thank god I lived through those times, and looking back it would have taken only one little pebble in all that riding to kick a tire loose and that would have been it. In fact my CBR600 meet its end by ramming into the back of an old lady’s car after one of those tight corners. The only reason I was allowed to buy this bike after an 18 year absence from riding, was due to its very relaxed economy nature.

Hi,
I am not planning to boast about myself, but how much do you lean over with your NC?
My original rear tires have about 5-8mm to the walls limit (each side). I love carving the roads and leaning (knee) down.

However, this cannot be compared to those racing bikes where you can lean even more.

:p
Joe

I don't know... how much does it lean over when it's on the kick stand?

You should lean it over until the handlebar is playing "Nearer My God to Thee" off the pavement like a phonograph stylus.

Tried that ONCE with a Honda Ascot. all I heard was Tommy James, "Draggin The Line". Since then I've become the guy who routinely wears the center off of a Buell Cyclone front tire. Nor do I give a ratz patooti about being a "chicken":cool:

You can take you bike over to the edge of the tyre travelling in a straight line, so tyre wear does not equal speed.

Progressive riders will always be faster down the twisties than fearless aggressive riders.

Its' all about being smooooth. On a clean road surface one can feel (through the butt) when a tire in starting to lose traction..........but be running smooth, no abrupt line changes or braking.

The NC should have dual sport tires but mine came w/ZR rated sport tires. I love Bridgestones and will go to a high mileage (hm) tire when time to replace.
Sport tires are soft; hm harder, the later will give less notice when grip begins to fail. Also, tires harden w/age. The DOT # gives age. 5 years old, replace the tire, more urgent if its' a hm tire.

Pop the front wheel up on the curb. Let the rear wheel stay on the road. At an angle continue travelling down the road. "What chicken lines?" Takes some practice but it works. The only reason why i do it (with new tires) is because i don't like slippery surprises when cornering.

Back