• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's the best way to remove the spindle from the OEM Center Stand?!?

amgin3

Reaction score
Visit site
My recently purchased 2015 NC750X has a center stand that I need to remove to re-grease the spindle. The outside center stand frame gets stuck to the spindle after not using it for a few days and requires about 200 lbs of force to break it free and moving with a lot of creaking, after which it can move somewhat smoothly with about 80 lbs of force. If I unbolt the spindle, the center stand moves freely with no problems except the spindle rotates with the frame. I've removed the spring and the spindle bolt to try to remove the spindle, but it is really stuck in there. I've even tried tapping it out from the exhaust side (after removing the exhaust system and spraying a ton of WD-40 into the crack between the spindle and frame), using an aluminum 1/2" thick rod and a hammer, but it hasn't even moved 1 cm.. Any ideas?

A few suggestions:

1. By your explanation of how bad it is stuck, you are going to have to do more than just tap it. Using an aluminum pipe will help to keep you from messing up the spindle, but it is going to take some force to beat it out.

2. Since it does move when bolted up, I would bolt it back up and spray some more WD-40 or other penetrating oil on it and then work it back and forth to help the oil get all the way down the tube. Doing this a few times may be enough to break it loose.

3. Another thing you can try is to heat up the center stand tube. This will require something like a propane torch (not a small butane torch used for electrical connections), but sometimes heating up the outside piece can cause it to expand enough to be able to drive the spindle out. I wouldn't be super concerned with causing a fire doing this as long as you are careful, but I would still keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

4. Finally, you could drill a hole in the center of the center stand tube to be able to apply oil more directly into where it may not be able to reach from the ends. Benefit to this is that after you get it apart, you can then tap it and add a grease fitting that will let you grease it without having to tear it apart in the future. I think I have heard of people on here doing that with theirs from the get go to help prevent this very problem.

Once you do get it off, I would knock off any rust with steel wool before applying grease and reinstalling. If it is real bad, it may be worth hitting it with some spray paint to help prevent it from quickly rusting again.

Back