• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What to look for when buying a used NC700X

WaterGuy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the market for a used NC700X, and am planning to check out a 2012 model with 9,000 miles on it tomorrow. I've only owned older, carbureted bikes, and many of the NC700X's modern features will be completely new to me (even aside from the fact that it's a unique bike within its own class!).

I'm wondering if any owners have suggestions on what to look for when buying a used NC--are there any known flaws or issues common to this model? I feel fairly comfortable identifying problems with equipment standard to every bike, but would love to hear your suggestions on quirks specific to this one.

Thanks in advance for your help! This forum has already been super-useful as I've narrowed down my choice of commuter bikes, and I'm really looking forward to participating more in the future.

They are bullet proof. Got over 43,000 on mine. Look for chain kinks and sprocket wear. Ask if valve check been done. Ask if brake fluid or coolant been changed yet. if can't provide paper work for proof, change oil, brake fluid, and coolant after you buy it. Look for brake pad wear of front and back.

They are bullet proof. Got over 43,000 on mine. Look for chain kinks and sprocket wear. Ask if valve check been done. Ask if brake fluid or coolant been changed yet. if can't provide paper work for proof, change oil, brake fluid, and coolant after you buy it. Look for brake pad wear of front and back.

Great, thanks for the tips!

I'm in the market for a used NC700X, and am planning to check out a 2012 model with 9,000 miles on it tomorrow. I've only owned older, carbureted bikes, and many of the NC700X's modern features will be completely new to me (even aside from the fact that it's a unique bike within its own class!).

I'm wondering if any owners have suggestions on what to look for when buying a used NC--are there any known flaws or issues common to this model? I feel fairly comfortable identifying problems with equipment standard to every bike, but would love to hear your suggestions on quirks specific to this one.

Thanks in advance for your help! This forum has already been super-useful as I've narrowed down my choice of commuter bikes, and I'm really looking forward to participating more in the future.

So did you get it? :) The NC is _relatively_ easy to work on and do your own maintenance. The hardest thing about it is checking your wallet and knowing when to stop bolting stuff to it.
I would at least plan on doing an oil and filter change (DIY for $50)

All of the motorcycle inspection thingys apply. Show up with this and if the seller starts sweating, negotiate a lower price:

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/t-clocs_inspection_checklist.pdf

Back