• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What to do first???

Agree with the above. Risers can remove the interference, and for most people, improve the ergonomics. You can go up to 2 inches and retain stock cables, but you may need to do a little rerouting (on a manual, anyway; I can’t speak for DCT). The fixed 30mm risers you can get for $20 work well, too.

Last edited:
I suggest that Rox risers are not the way to go. I know, I bought the Rox risers first.

I took these pics this morning showing the ample clearance between guards and the Madstad system. I'm using a SW0Motech 30 mm up and "can't remember mm back" riser.IMG_2723.jpgIMG_2726.jpg

Yesterday was the longest ride yet on the new bike. Coming off a touring bike... the secondary and forest service roads were beckoning me. Let's just say I really didn't know what I was getting myself into... like others have posted, the suspension needs some adjustment... way to harsh. The seat felt like cement after a 100 miles, and I'll have to visit the dentist soon as I don't think I have any fillings left in my teeth! The stock tires are not aggressive enough to do a lot of forest service road riding as I noticed them squirm a lot in the mud... or not really mud... just wet dirt. I cut one curve a little short to give clearance for some other riders and almost lost it in the wet leaves.... but that was my shortsightedness.

Not really knocking the bike, just noting things that need attention. The tires will be changed when these are worn out... hopefully won't take that long when spring hits. The suspension will be addressed soon enough but not until most of the equipment is installed and I get a clearer picture of what it needs with the extra weight. After the 142 miles yesterday, it's clear highway pegs could be useful to give the butt a needed change of position. I did get off the bike once at about the 80 mile point... but probably not long enough to give my body a chance to rest... was still on the forest roads.

Other than butt fatigue, I did notice some slight fatigue in my shoulders... so the risers will probably address that issue also. I am really liking the bike and excited about getting it tuned ergonomically for a better ride.

Will be looking for suggestions for tires from riders who frequent back country roads. Also will be entertaining advice on suspension adjustment/mods.

Thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge so far!

Last edited:
In regards to suggestions for back country riding on the NC, I will say from my experience that you can only expect so much. I went as far as owning two NC700X models, one set up with Ohlins shock, RaceTech emulators out front, Shinko 705 tires, huge skid plate, and whatever else might make the NC semi off-road worthy. After riding rough forest roads and unmaintained mountain roads for 18 months, I came to the conclusion that the NC just ain’t no dirt bike, so I bought a CRF250L Rally instead for the forest road riding.

My point is not to bash the NC, as it was not designed for riding unimproved roads. I’m just saying that with the limited suspension travel available, the weight, and the little 17” front wheel, the NC will be quite limited for that purpose, even if you pour $1500 worth of mods into it.

My point is not to bash the NC, as it was not designed for riding unimproved roads. I’m just saying that with the limited suspension travel available, the weight, and the little 17” front wheel, the NC will be quite limited for that purpose, even if you pour $1500 worth of mods into it.

+1 on that one. I do agree that NC700 is not a dirt bike at all. Yes, you can do anything with it. It all depends on your skill and on your butt's comfort level. NC is the best commuter and that is where it excels. The suspension is way too harsh for even minor off road use and the bike is not that comfy for long hauls. I took it to sand, gravel, dirt, grass and even some mud on stock tires and stock suspension. I also took it for some long rides across multiple states. It did OK, but not even close to what CFR, KLR or similar can do. And, honestly, I dont understand when people start spending lots of cash on off-road upgrades for NC. For 2k you can get a used dirt street legal dedicated off-road bike you will have a blast with. I ended up getting a Tiger for long travels and some off road usage. Might still keep the NC for commuting since I got it so cheap and it is just a good working horse.

+1 on that one. I do agree that NC700 is not a dirt bike at all. Yes, you can do anything with it. It all depends on your skill and on your butt's comfort level. NC is the best commuter and that is where it excels. The suspension is way too harsh for even minor off road use and the bike is not that comfy for long hauls. I took it to sand, gravel, dirt, grass and even some mud on stock tires and stock suspension. I also took it for some long rides across multiple states. It did OK, but not even close to what CFR, KLR or similar can do. And, honestly, I dont understand when people start spending lots of cash on off-road upgrades for NC. For 2k you can get a used dirt street legal dedicated off-road bike you will have a blast with. I ended up getting a Tiger for long travels and some off road usage. Might still keep the NC for commuting since I got it so cheap and it is just a good working horse.

I am keeping an open mind about the NC in that I am stepping back from a Goldwing and three ST's before that. Wanted something "universal" that can do a little bit of everything. So far I'm happy with it and not expecting it to excel at everything. I'm still in the discovery stages of this bike and do appreciate all comments about the NC. Trying to make it as broad a platform as I can without adding another bike for now.

I would look at minimum 36 liter side cases and a 42-52 liter top box for versatility in traveling and camping. I toured the first trips on the 2012 NC with a 46 liter top box and a large roll-top dry bag. Only later did I add a pair of 36 liter panniers (side cases). If Givi, I suggest MonoKey and not MonoLock items.

SW Motech Alu Rack with a Givi adapter plate make up the luggage rack, with SW Motech quick detach luggage racks for the side cases. I had a Givi top box mount on 1111FZ Mono Rack Arms and PL1111 luggage racks on the first NC. All SW Mo Tech stuff on the second one.

Here is a forum search with lots of ideas: https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2350196&pp=&page=4

Lots of pics: https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/n...onda-nc700x-saddlebags.html?highlight=luggage
I scored a great deal on a pair of Givi Trekker Outback 42 liter side cases for $444 from twisted throttle. It was too good a deal to pass up. They had a pair of 37 liter on sale for $430. No rack yet and no top trunk... that can wait for a bargain as well.

That is a crazy good price on the Trekker boxes. You got a great deal.

So you are clearly setting up you NC for some long distance travel. What are your plans? Dream trips?

My first mod on my street bikes is always Grip Puppies. They are a soft squeezable grip that simply slips over the standard rubber grip and leaves you with a soft, tactile grip that is more comfortable. I also like the resulting thicker grip area.

grip-puppy.jpg

That is a crazy good price on the Trekker boxes. You got a great deal.

So you are clearly setting up you NC for some long distance travel. What are your plans? Dream trips?

The basic plan is to develop a broad base platform... so I can do a little of everything. I am getting the bags, top trunk for possible overnight or a couple of nights camping out. Received a bad neck injury a couple of years ago and cannot tolerate long days in the saddle any longer. Sold my Goldwing and matching trailer because of the injury. I still like to "get away" every once in a while. The NC will allow me more flexibility to choose some roads I normally wouldn't take with the wing. It will also allow me to make some of the events I used to attend that are closer to my area. I opted for slightly larger bags because they will not be "on" the bike unless I using them for a purpose. Larger, because when I need them, I would like for them to be up for the challenge. My "challenge" is ... packing light. Not quite there yet. The top trunk may find itself on the bike most of the time for local riding/errands or whatever.
My wife and I used to tour on the wing... been just about everywhere in the U.S. with it. The wife and my oldest daughter have taken many 2 week trips on it. It's seen all 48 of the lower states in the last six years. So... that type of riding is more than likely over for me. Local jaunts in the North Georgia mountains and nearby South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and Florida. May, if conditions are right make it a little further.

Hi Vinny,

I have a 750X DCT. As I only ride on asphalt/tarmac, the first upgrade I made were better grippy tyres (Pirelli Angel GT), followed by the suspension (Hyperpro front & rear). These upgrades (approx. 600 Euros) make a huge difference in control and safety.
I made more changes but those are focussed on comfort for myself, protection for the bike and general visibility.

A little update... So Far I have installed 1) Madstad 18" Windshield, 2) Center Stand, 3) Aux Flashing Brake light, 4) Handle Bar Risers, 5) Givi Hand Protectors.
There was a little snafu with the Givi Trekker Outback cases. I ordered a pair of 48 ltr. side cases from Twisted Throttle at a sale price of $444. I was shipped a repackaged single case... Well, they were immediately contacted and made aware of the issue. I sent the case back and they are supposed to ship me what I originally ordered. Still waiting on word about the new cases being shipped. Hoping they make it right even though it is going to cost them some money since they have to buy from the manufacture... at somewhat a higher price. Their mistake, not mine. As soon as I get word they have been shipped, I will order the mounting racks (Christmas gift from the wife).

Have any of you installed a rear fender? After taking it out on some dirt roads, I noticed lots of debris on the rear shock, chain, and swing arm... How much does the rear fender help? Apparently there are two... one fits just behind the frame... the other fits under the tail piece. Are both needed or is one better than the other?

A little update... So Far I have installed 1) Madstad 18" Windshield, 2) Center Stand, 3) Aux Flashing Brake light, 4) Handle Bar Risers, 5) Givi Hand Protectors.
There was a little snafu with the Givi Trekker Outback cases. I ordered a pair of 48 ltr. side cases from Twisted Throttle at a sale price of $444. I was shipped a repackaged single case... Well, they were immediately contacted and made aware of the issue. I sent the case back and they are supposed to ship me what I originally ordered. Still waiting on word about the new cases being shipped. Hoping they make it right even though it is going to cost them some money since they have to buy from the manufacture... at somewhat a higher price. Their mistake, not mine. As soon as I get word they have been shipped, I will order the mounting racks (Christmas gift from the wife).

Have any of you installed a rear fender? After taking it out on some dirt roads, I noticed lots of debris on the rear shock, chain, and swing arm... How much does the rear fender help? Apparently there are two... one fits just behind the frame... the other fits under the tail piece. Are both needed or is one better than the other?

I hope Twisted Throttle comes through for you. I had a little problem with them in the past.

As far as the fender question goes:

A simple rubber flap hung behind the shock is simple and keeps that area clean and still open for cleaning and inspection. Some members have added a flap or fender extender below the license plate. I know there have been pics and threads posted on such mods. Some are more elegant or finished off than others - use the imagination. The flap seems to be a better solution than the huggers offered in the aftermarket if only because of the comments here over the years. I've done the flap on both my NCs.

cheap shock protection

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5651&d=1372168939

This place in Italy is 1/3 cheaper for Givi stuff, and other things they sell, than any distributor in the US: Motorcycle Clothing & Helmets | Shop Motorbike Gear Online Shipping is around $30 - $35 and that's for a shipment that includes side bags, top box, racks and mounting plate.

My experience with radiators and the need for guards, depends on the type of riding you do and the size and placement of the radiator. After 22k miles of road riding, there aren't any dings in the Honda's radiator. Yamaha FJ-09 got dings and a guard after only a couple of thousand miles. GS BMW got BMW accessory guards because the guards are cheap and the radiators are expensive.

Today the Givi 48 liter side cases arrived! I'm happy! The task in front of me now is ordering the racks for the side cases and the top rack for the 42 liter top box that I will eventually order.
What's not to clear is the tail "plate" that the 42 liter Trekker Outback case mates with. On one of the Givi sites it mentions several plates and they look so different, it has done nothing to answer questions about my application.
If there is an NC rider out there with the Trekker Outback top case, please let me know which top plate it mates with so I can get my order in. (Most dealers are closed on Monday... called several to seek an answer and came up empty).

Thanks!

Today the Givi 48 liter side cases arrived! I'm happy! The task in front of me now is ordering the racks for the side cases and the top rack for the 42 liter top box that I will eventually order.
What's not to clear is the tail "plate" that the 42 liter Trekker Outback case mates with. On one of the Givi sites it mentions several plates and they look so different, it has done nothing to answer questions about my application.
If there is an NC rider out there with the Trekker Outback top case, please let me know which top plate it mates with so I can get my order in. (Most dealers are closed on Monday... called several to seek an answer and came up empty).

Thanks!

I found the kiting out the Givi luggage a bit confusing. Their Canada site has a configurator that is a little cheesy but functional. GIVI.CA It helped me and I confirmed with the store I bought the kit from. You may need to remove the "s" from https: to get it to work.

Last edited:
Center Stand and Heated Grips were done by the dealer before I collected it but the first thing I did was to fit a Fuze Block in the bottom of the Frunk, where the handbook lives

Today my top case rack arrived, a few days ago the top "plate" arrived. Cannot install either one yet as my shoulder is still healing form surgery. The racks for the side cases are still "parked" in Italy.... supposed to arrive Friday, but I doubt it. FedEx is not real precise on their shipping promises. They were three days off (late) with the top plate.
Still accumulating farkles to install later!

Back