• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What other model year should I consider while waiting for the 2021 NC 750 dct?

The Phoenix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In reading some of the recent posts by the more proactive/smarter members who ordered their bikes in September of 2020 (or thereabouts) and who either received them/about to take ownership I was wondering if there were other model years in particular to consider for purchase of a first MC? Are there reasons to consider 2012-2015 models over the 2016-2020 models, or for that matter, any previous model year that makes it deserve more consideration than others?
As always thanks in advance for your input.

I don’t view the changes made to the NC700X/750X from 2012 through 2021 to be very significant. None of the relatively minor changes had made me want to ”upgrade” from my 2012. Therefore I suggest you should consider all model years as candidates. To narrow that advice down to any specific year(s), we would need to know what details or features are especially important to you.

Changes made over the years include body plastics styling, color choices, and a minor change to the DCT, (adding more sport modes). A 75cc displacement increase occurred with introduction of the 750, but it’s not like a night/day power difference.

I consider the looks of the 2012-2015 to be better than later years, but that is purely personal preference.

I don’t view the changes made to the NC700X/750X from 2012 through 2021 to be very significant. None of the relatively minor changes had made me want to ”upgrade” from my 2012. Therefore I suggest you should consider all model years as candidates. To narrow that advice down to any specific year(s), we would need to know what details or features are especially important to you.

Changes made over the years include body plastics styling, color choices, and a minor change to the DCT, (adding more sport modes). A 75cc displacement increase occurred with introduction of the 750, but it’s not like a night/day power difference.

I consider the looks of the 2012-2015 to be better than later years, but that is purely personal preference.
Thanks for your guidance 670cc. As a noobie my lack of experience and knowledge precluded me from identifying any significant differences between 2012 through 2020 that I could determine so your comments make me feel somewhat better.
From what I have observed I would agree that the earlier year body styles do appear better than later years (2016-2020).
I don't know what value adding more sport modes to the dct would give me so I can't place a relative value on that.
I appreciate your thoughts regarding the relative value of the additional 75cc displacement that occurred with the 750 because, again, it didn't seem that important to me at this time.

I am wondering whether there was a model year that had more problems than others, or for that matter less problems than others?
Further, all things being equal, when looking at a used NC/dct is there a mileage that I should consider excessive?

Again, I appreciate your comments and the opportunity to ask additional questions to you and other members as I'd like to make as an informed decision as possible.

For all model years, there are no inherent problems with the NC series. It has been a reliable, well designed product. Any problems that occurred in the early years would have been addressed long ago. 2012 had a drive chain recall, 2013 had no recalls or service campaigns. 2014 had an issue with the combination meter and Honda replaced them through a service campaign. I think 2014 also had a starter relay recall. But again, all those issues would/should have been resolved by now.

In my opinion, for older motorcycles, condition and evidence of good maintenance/lack of neglect is more important that actual odometer mileage.

The additional sport modes are pretty useful as shift points are changed and it holds gears longer through the RPM range. This is a personal preference only though. Straight away and nobody around, S3; curvy roads I ran S2. But 670 is 100% correct that looking for signs of neglect is more important than any other observation, all things equal.

Other bikes...don't jump on me everyone...any of the recent Versys class. I rode them and I love them despite some buzziness. And I think they look great. Every time I go in I stare at the darn thing. I just don't want to spend that kind of money. Some of my VFR buddies have ridden the HD Pan Am. Same category as the NC but a bit more robust. These guys are hardcore riders and every one of the guys that I trust say that HD knocked it out of the park. But, it too is expensive.

I think the '18MY in the US got traction control, but I'm not sure of the value of that feature. I've only slipped the rear twice when not attempting to.

The first time I tried accelerating too hard out of a turn on a cold (low 40s °F) and wet Washington evening and ran over one of those painted arrows at the same time. It was actually kind of fun except for the part where I was in traffic.

The other time I got caught up in a snowstorm and the back kicked out in some slush covered by icy pellets. This was actually fun because nobody was around and I wasn't in any danger. Also I had ridden a fair amount of dirt miles by this time so it wasn't spooky anymore.

As far as substantial differences go for the NC series, there aren't any. None that I would hold out for anyway. The later MYs get LED front lighting and a very modest bump in usable power, not that it's needed.

I agree with @670cc , there's nothing worth upgrading for. I also think the styling has meandered away from my personal tastes over time. I love the look of the 700S, and I have complained about the beak of the X series to my friends on several occasions.

I would personally get an '18-20 if I had to pick one generation. I would probably avoid the '12 and the '21. But I'm not selling my '17 anytime soon. I probably won't ever. They're all great bikes

I've had a '12 manual, a 2015 DCT, and now a 2013 DCT. All good bikes that made or make me happy. I don't think the differences in years rise to must have or a deal breaker. If used the overall condition and how it was maintained is all important and service records in hand are a really good thing to have prior to the purchase decision.

I'm older and been riding a while so traction control on a 50 hp motorcycle is not something I want or need. In fact the Luddite in me thinks its probably a good thing to learn traction control with a brain and a right hand but I suppose the technology saves a get-off now and then even if the hard knocks lesson goes unexperienced and unlearned. Those types of lessons last a long time but just my opinion.

I'm older and been riding a while so traction control on a 50 hp motorcycle is not something I want or need. In fact the Luddite in me thinks its probably a good thing to learn traction control with a brain and a right hand but I suppose the technology saves a get-off now and then even if the hard knocks lesson goes unexperienced and unlearned. Those types of lessons last a long time but just my opinion.
I've noticed the traction control activating on asphalt sprinkled with sand. It happens in the lower gears where even the NC makes a lot of torque at the rear wheel.

I've noticed the traction control activating on asphalt sprinkled with sand. It happens in the lower gears where even the NC makes a lot of torque at the rear wheel.
Without it do you think a lot of NCs would toss off the rider on asphalt sprinkled with sand?

I think the two biggest differences in my mind are the looks and the DCT. I hate the way the new models look and wouldn't upgrade to one. That being said I would love to have the newer DCT. If you like the looks of the newer ones then any years with the newer DCT are worth looking at.
The 750 increase is nice but it seems most people don't consider it to be very noticeable. I think it is getting harder to find some aftermarket parts for the older models over the newer so that might be a thing.

Overall I agree with above no single year is better or worse, they all are pretty dependable. I'd buy a used one with 100k on it if the price was right. Lots of life still in it haha

A lot of this will come down to personal preference and your own tastes. I personally like the looks of the gen 1 original NC over the new models plastics. The older is sleeker and more aero looking if you ask me. The new body plastics may provide better protection from the elements possibly. To me if I could have what I want it would be the older body style with the 750 engine and the LED lights that come with the newer bikes and toss in some ABS as a nice to have. I ride the manual trans NC and I think it is fine, but if I was going to buy a DCT I think it would be the later models in the 2018-2020 model years for the added sport modes. I have watched a lot of the youtube vids with the DCT on road trips and the more options appear to be preferred and provides greater flexibility. The funny thing is it may come down to a color preference. Some of the model years colors are far less than desirable to my taste. I really liked the blue bile from 2019 with the blacked out rims, the darker plastics colors instead of the bright silver with that blue looked pretty nice to me. If I were tempted to get a newer NC that would probably be the one I would be most tempted to get. Like others said there aren't a lot of known issues with any model year and Honda lives up to their reputation for reliability with these bikes.

If you are worried about visibility you can get reflective tape that is black during daylight and reflects when light hits it day or night

W6XnEVBh.jpg

qSKwoIah.jpg

DQJEMwfh.jpg

P15v3y1h.jpg

See. That is an awesome post. Your garage picture shows how black bikes disappear. Your reflective tape is great!
The garage is actually one of the attached lockable garages for bikes at the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville NC. Each room has it's own motorcycle garage. Just a short ride from The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28 etc. Pretty cool place.

The additional sport modes are pretty useful as shift points are changed and it holds gears longer through the RPM range. This is a personal preference only though. Straight away and nobody around, S3; curvy roads I ran S2. But 670 is 100% correct that looking for signs of neglect is more important than any other observation, all things equal.

Other bikes...don't jump on me everyone...any of the recent Versys class. I rode them and I love them despite some buzziness. And I think they look great. Every time I go in I stare at the darn thing. I just don't want to spend that kind of money. Some of my VFR buddies have ridden the HD Pan Am. Same category as the NC but a bit more robust. These guys are hardcore riders and every one of the guys that I trust say that HD knocked it out of the park. But, it too is expensive.
Thank-you for your input mzflorida.

I think the '18MY in the US got traction control, but I'm not sure of the value of that feature. I've only slipped the rear twice when not attempting to.

The first time I tried accelerating too hard out of a turn on a cold (low 40s °F) and wet Washington evening and ran over one of those painted arrows at the same time. It was actually kind of fun except for the part where I was in traffic.

The other time I got caught up in a snowstorm and the back kicked out in some slush covered by icy pellets. This was actually fun because nobody was around and I wasn't in any danger. Also I had ridden a fair amount of dirt miles by this time so it wasn't spooky anymore.

As far as substantial differences go for the NC series, there aren't any. None that I would hold out for anyway. The later MYs get LED front lighting and a very modest bump in usable power, not that it's needed.

I agree with @670cc , there's nothing worth upgrading for. I also think the styling has meandered away from my personal tastes over time. I love the look of the 700S, and I have complained about the beak of the X series to my friends on several occasions.

I would personally get an '18-20 if I had to pick one generation. I would probably avoid the '12 and the '21. But I'm not selling my '17 anytime soon. I probably won't ever. They're all great bikes
I appreciate your comments and insight Janus.

I've had a '12 manual, a 2015 DCT, and now a 2013 DCT. All good bikes that made or make me happy. I don't think the differences in years rise to must have or a deal breaker. If used the overall condition and how it was maintained is all important and service records in hand are a really good thing to have prior to the purchase decision.

I appreciate your opinion ddueline. I anticipate no matter what choices I make that there will be time that I go to the school of hard knocks.

I think the two biggest differences in my mind are the looks and the DCT. I hate the way the new models look and wouldn't upgrade to one. That being said I would love to have the newer DCT. If you like the looks of the newer ones then any years with the newer DCT are worth looking at.
The 750 increase is nice but it seems most people don't consider it to be very noticeable. I think it is getting harder to find some aftermarket parts for the older models over the newer so that might be a thing.

Overall I agree with above no single year is better or worse, they all are pretty dependable. I'd buy a used one with 100k on it if the price was right. Lots of life still in it haha
thanks for sharing your thoughts fleetingyouth.

As some of you are aware I have a cheap old 2013 with a mid-grade high quality suspension from YSS. My front caliper is a little more complex than other models but it serves my braking needs well. It has been difficult to get pads for it.

So between the quality of the base bike and motor and mods, to me it feels like a new bike with 20k miles.

I mounted a cheap new shinko rear and an Avon front and I am riding with high grade comfort. My seat was modded for my rear end. My bars were raised. My windshield was extended for enduro riding at highway speeds.

This simple setup is a winner for me. DCT all the way!!!
For me, as well, dct is not a question regardless of what other decisions I make. Thanks for your input Makingitwork6999

Back