• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What oil do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a difference between motorcycle oil and car oil of the same viscosity? If so what are the differences?
My laymens understanding is that there are addittives in car oil that are good for cars but detrimental to the clutch(wet clutch) in a motorcycle. The result being that the motorcycle clutch will fail prematurely.

My laymens understanding is that there are addittives in car oil that are good for cars but detrimental to the clutch(wet clutch) in a motorcycle. The result being that the motorcycle clutch will fail prematurely.
Ohhh that explains it, thank you.

My spouse got the remote so I figured I would ask the internet the question. The answer I liked best:

Is car oil bad for bike engines? I've got a cheap mate who insists on using basic supermarket car oil in his bike, no matter how many times I tell him it's not a good plan...

Usually yes, especially in a motorcycle with a wet clutch. Wet clutches depend on a precisely-defined friction coefficient of the oil whereas engine oils for cars try to reduce friction to a minimum in order to reduce fuel consumption and emissions. In a motorcycle this results in a slipping clutch.

In addition engine oil for cars comes with a lot of extra properties, e.g. for particle filters, which are not needed in motorcycles and may even show adverse effects.
Source

Back when I was a teenager everyone I knew used regular car oil in their dirt bikes and ATV's because it was easy to find and typically what they already had with no ill effect. Not to mention cheaper. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it now as that was 20 years ago and they most likely put additives in now that they didn't back then which could cause issues.

As for 10w-30 vs 40 motorcycle specific oil...I put 10w-40 in my 2020 DCT after the first oil change for the same reason you are asking the question and had no issues. I bought a case of Honda 10W-30 off Amazon for the second one and can tell no difference. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter. The reason Honda use to recommend either is because the two are damn near interchangeable with regards to flow rate.

As for 10w-30 vs 40 motorcycle specific oil...I put 10w-40 in my 2020 DCT after the first oil change for the same reason you are asking the question and had no issues. I bought a case of Honda 10W-30 off Amazon for the second one and can tell no difference. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter. The reason Honda use to recommend either is because the two are damn near interchangeable with regards to flow rate.
I resisted mentioning it, but I agree. I have used either 10w-30 or 10w-40 in my NC because my 2012 service manual says that either is OK. I can detect zero difference in how the engine/transmission operates. However the latest Honda manuals recommend 10w-30 only, so the best advice for the OP is to stick with the 30. In an emergency, my opinion is that the 40 will do no harm.

Usually there are additives to car oils that make it "slipperier" (called Friction Modifiers) but these can destroy a wet clutch. While you want your moving engine parts to be more or less as slippery as you can get (broad generalization) you don't want the clutch to be slippery.

just saw this and thought, Oh no,,,an oil thread.....I dont use 10w30 or 10w40 and I have 103,000 miles on my suzuki c50, and 63,000 miles on my NC700x....

Reactions: MZ5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back