• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is your favorite camping dehydrated food?

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to shop, so most of my dehydrated motorcycle camping food comes from:

Academy - Backpacker's Pantry (Around $7.99)

WalMart - Mountain House (Around $6.99)

Chicken and Noodle is my favorite.

About the best I can do when it comes to cooking is to boil water and pour it into a bag. There are a few folks on this forum who are outstanding motorcycle camping cooks..

Last edited:
I hate to shop, so most of my dehydrated motorcycle camping food comes from:

Academy - Backpacker's Pantry (Around $7.99)

WalMart - Mountain House (Around $6.99)

Chicken and Noodle is my favorite.

About the best I can do when it comes to cooking is to boil water and pour it into a bag. There are a few folks on this forum who are outstanding motorcycle camping cooks..
I figure if I can heat water, I can warm up a can of chicken noodle and save $6.00. I can carry more weight and have more space than a backpacker. For the cost of dehydrated I can get on my MC and go to a restaurant.

Fuzzy, those bottles that you carry on your bike are not water bottles. And no, you did not turn the water into wine! That loss to Army today must have really got him confused.

I usually take along a couple bags of Knorr noodles. Sometimes they can be bought for $1. They're easy to cook up with the camp stove. They go well with the wine.

IMG_0084.jpg

Last edited:
I consider these 'emergency rations' when touring; only whip them up if I'm too lazy to do anything else.
But these two are my faves.
IMG_20160522_103045587.jpg

Usually, I have enough sense to seek out
a local fav like Joe Patti's in Pensacola.
BTW, it's only an hour away from Bay Minette, the gathering
place for the Stagecoach XX, 2016
JoePatti.jpg
But I mostly ride out of my way for this:
IMG_20151205_143433092.jpg

I get this from stores that sell international food:
Podravka.jpgPodravka 2.jpg

I also prefer to buy food locally and grill it on this (compact package and it takes only a few charcoal pieces to make a meal):

Grill.jpg

I will have to try the Knorr noodles at Target. I am cheap, and you sure can not beat that price.

Call yourself parsimonious. It means the same thing as cheap, but sounds more elegant.

my gal often has a variety of good home cooking in "boiling bags" waiting in the freezer for camping road trips and backpacking. but i still like my pemmican and fancy cheeses and protein drinks --

Last edited by a moderator:
When I built my home I built the world's smallest kitchen in my home. My wife does not cook, period. I can't boil water. So, for camping it must be instant food.

I'm with OCR in this one; for me it's pretty specifically dehydrated camping type foods and/or other such things like MRE's ( military "Meals, Ready to Eat" for those who may not know)

Where I go 99% of the time, are to places as far away from people as I can, so it's both a matter of being as self sufficient as possible, and actually part of the whole experience. I don't *want* to eat like I do at home, nor do I want to go to restaurants, even if they are close enough to get to from where I am. (Don't get me wrong, sure, I might stop at a burger joint or civilized food vending location of some kind as my last meal before out and into the true boonies, or back out on my way home, but I'm riding to get away from people, places, and things. The last thing I want to do is the whole elbow to elbow crowds and noise, and daily hustle and bustle.

Don't I sound like an antisocial humbug so and so, eh? Lol hahaha :eek:

The key to any of the backpacker foods being delicious is that you must first hike the 10 miles with a 30lb pack up and a 2,000 foot elevation change...
After that Mountain house chili mac is incredible.
Also after the hike back out a few days later, greasy pizza delivered to a hotel room with an actual bed is among the best food experiences in my life... (I'm positive the pizza was awful, but once you are in the right state of mind everything can taste good)

Mostly though I've started making my own.
My wife is a vegan so when we go backpacking or canoeing we need vegan rehydratable meals that won't upset her stomach for other reasons (backpackers pantry left her feeling ill in the middle of the wilderness at least twice.)

These are my wifes favorite (we cook this up at home with regular rice for dinners, trail version is almost as good):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnjggTXii84

I also like making a backpacking version of this:
The BEST Vegan Mac n' Cheese | Detoxinista
Just blend the cashews dry (works in our magic bullet, but have to do it a quater cup at a time.) and then blend the rest of the dry ingreients seperate (cashews have oils that make them not blend well with other things I guess?) replace the lemon juice with the dried stuff, Mix the two powders togather and bag it up, leave enough space for 3/4 a cup warm water, and break up any clumps in the bag, then cover some noodles (either pre boiled and dehydrated or just cooked in the regular manner on a camping stove)
Makes a passible "cheese" sauce.

The great bit about vegan dehydrated meals is that you don't need to worry about the meat not drying all the way and going rancid, the downside is that you end up with a vegan meal... which isn't the end of the world.

With a home freeze dryer I bring meals I enjoy at home. The ice cream is nice during or after a day in the saddle.

Back