• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is the worst bike you have ever owned

The Honda CB160 I had several years ago. I just could not get it running right which wasn't the bike's fault but parts were hard to find and it needed plenty of them after 30 years of neglect. That bike convinced me to stick with singles for the classic Honda I like to keep in the far corner of the garage. One old carb is better than two and vastly better than four.

100_0967.jpg

Last edited:
A Hodaka Combat Wombat back when I was young. The thing was always broken, the spokes were spaghetti, the forks were tiny and flexed in all directions and both end would bottom out over the tiniest bump. The thing was a total turd. However it did teach me a ton about motorcycle repair and I could tear down a two stroke to the crank without fear after that bike.

hodaka-combat-wombat.jpg

I have not had a lemon bike. Had an XS750 and XS850 and put over 40k trouble free miles on them. 186k on a '71 BMW R60. XS650 vibrated a lot. '87 K100LT hurt my knees rubbing on the faring. Couple of seats hurt my back side quite a bit. Probity the worst was my first, an YDS3C 250, 1968 Yamaha, but it was fun to ride.

The worst bike I ever owned was a 1996 Triumph Trophy 1200. It wasn't the worst bike in the world - it could pull stumps with its torque, and had good weather protection. Why was it the worst bike I ever owned?

Thirty-two miles per gallon. Seriously? On a motorcycle? I was dumbfounded by its thirstiness, and finally gave it to a friend of mine.

A Hodaka Combat Wombat back when I was young. The thing was always broken, the spokes were spaghetti, the forks were tiny and flexed in all directions and both end would bottom out over the tiniest bump. The thing was a total turd. However it did teach me a ton about motorcycle repair and I could tear down a two stroke to the crank without fear after that bike.

View attachment 2375

I had a Hodaka 100 Super Rat that was every bit as bad as yours...POS. Like you, it sure taught me a lot about 2 stroke motorcycle repairs. I hated that bike, all my friends out riding and I seemed to always be working on mine! It did have good power when it ran though.

The worst bike I ever owned was a 1996 Triumph Trophy 1200. It wasn't the worst bike in the world - it could pull stumps with its torque, and had good weather protection. Why was it the worst bike I ever owned?

Thirty-two miles per gallon. Seriously? On a motorcycle? I was dumbfounded by its thirstiness, and finally gave it to a friend of mine.

If you think that's bad my Kawasaki 350 tripple could get as little as 25 MPG with a heavy right hand and remember I'm talking UK gallons

That's interesting, my 1998 Sprint gets between 50-55 miles per gallon. I have had problems getting it to pass emissions. After a good tune-up and carb sync I got almost 60 mpg. I have a light right hand I guess, since I am getting 77 mpg over the first 2400 miles on my NC. ed

To Rocker66: To be specific mine is a 1998 Sprint Executive it has the bags and looks like the 2 bikes you have pictured. The passenger grab rail looks like the one on the black bike and the exhaust is chrome. Mine is silver. If you need a picture I will take the cover off and dust it off, haven't ridden it since I got the NC. It has some issues but I still love it. Every once in a while it spits out the center plug, just try getting a torque wrench to it. Can it be done? I carry an extra coil with me always. I rode it thru Colorado last summer. With 6+ gallons of gas it is very top heavy. And finally my wife wants me to sell it, I don't think I will. DSCN1370.jpg

Worst....good question the most troublesome bike was a 73 Norton.....still loved the damn thing wish i never sold it! Second would be a Honda 110 ct.

To Rocker66: To be specific mine is a 1998 Sprint Executive it has the bags and looks like the 2 bikes you have pictured. The passenger grab rail looks like the one on the black bike and the exhaust is chrome. Mine is silver. If you need a picture I will take the cover off and dust it off, haven't ridden it since I got the NC. It has some issues but I still love it. Every once in a while it spits out the center plug, just try getting a torque wrench to it. Can it be done? I carry an extra coil with me always. I rode it thru Colorado last summer. With 6+ gallons of gas it is very top heavy. And finally my wife wants me to sell it, I don't think I will. View attachment 2383

I know the one. It was a toss up whether I bought one of those or the Sport.

One of my co-workers just bought a brand new one a couple of months ago. And yes as Rocker66 stated, higher maint. costs. He took his in for the 600mile service and it was over $300.00!!! For an oil change and inspection!! But at least it would be easy to get parts and such for it as the bonneville hasn't changed much over the years. Suspension isn't that great over rough roads.

Your co-worker got ROBBED!

The "WORST BIKE" I've ever owned was the 1976 Honda CB750A Hondamatic that I had back in High School. HANDS DOWN!!! I was a DOG and POS!!!

1976-cb-750-a-hondamatic.jpg

When the oil level got a low, it would slip out of gear constantly. The grandfather to the DN-01...

Second in the running was my 1976 Honda CB550K.

honda-cb550k-4into1.com.jpg

Hmmm? I've never seen this thread before. Somehow missed it.

I won't call it the worst bike I've ever owned but the bike I like the least and kept the shortest time was a 1996 Katana 600. Heavy as hell and no power. I had it two months and sold it. Think I bought a CBR900RR the following day.

Back in 1974, two friends and I clubbed together R15.00 (South African Rand) for a really beat up one of these and rode it around our local park until it fell apart. We were about 15 years old at the time.Lambretta.jpg

I still have this 2003 Ural Retro, but it has been an experiment in my patience sometimes. Right now, it is on the my lift waiting for my retirement to get it running again. Still, I love this pita bike.

Attachments

• IMZ_edited.jpg
    IMZ_edited.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 280
I guess I've been lucky in that none of my bikes have ever given me any serious problems. My 1999 Valkyrie did develop a parasitic voltage drain problem that made me scratch my head for a bit but that turned out to be a malfunction with the aftermarket alarm system.

However my wife's first bike was a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600 that I bought used from a dealer in 2010 as a "learner" bike for her. It had constant problems with the carbs and vacuum leaks. I rebuilt the carbs once but was forever fiddling with them to try and get it to idle right and not cough and sputter. After a seemingly constant bout of issues last year the minute I got it running well again I traded it for the NCX. Was never so happy to shed myself of a bike.

Wife happy picking up the Bandit. Maybe the color being the same as a lemon should have tipped me off.
dody4.jpg

Ha, I had a 99 1200 and decided to tweak it. With four carbs to rejet, 4 k&N air filters, 5 degree advance and a Dale Walker exhaust with header pipe, it took me a month of adjustments to get that bike right. It was unholy! I ended up selling it to a guy that took it out and wrapped it up. Bye-bye Bandit! They were tough to get right so I can sympathize with you.

Back