• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What grips are best for distance riding?

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
I know there are some serious distance riders out there. What grips are you using?

I do 900 mile days a couple times a year at least but have never messed with the grips. I'm thinking I should!

grip puppies are nice and comfortable . I had them on one of my bikes.
no need to remove existing sleavings.

[video=youtube_share;uqy5YMVoNNY]http://youtu.be/uqy5YMVoNNY[/video]

The best noun description of those things on the end of the handlebars is: Hand Rests for gloved hands. Then it doesn't matter much if they are soft or hard. Gripping tightly or squeezing the grips leads to both poor riding skills and cramping muscles. I don't really pay much attention to what type or construction the hand rests are as they all seem to work OK for me. Back in the 70's there was a type of grip called "titty grips" that were popular. I admit buying a pair and replacing the oem grips with those but after that dalliance I pay no mind to the things. Gloves are more important, at least to my way.

Love the Elkskin Roper Gloves, on my second set and this are 7 years old I think. But always have some grip puppies on also I like the feel of the larger grip. They work over the top of heated grip fine.

When given a choice - take both. Good gloves plus Grip Puppies is my hot tip.

Lee

Lee,
The Grip Puppies look promising. What size does one order for the NC700x? At that price it's worth a try.
My right thumb gets painfully numb (not comfortably numb like the song) on even short freeway rides.

Being a road bicyclist, I'm also considering wrapping the grips in "bar tape". It's that spongy stuff bicyclists wrap their handlebars with.
I would order the "Grip Puppies" right now, if I knew what size!

after a few minutes browsing... they seem to have only two sizes: small and large...what fits the NC?

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Lee,
The Grip Puppies look promising. What size does one order for the NC700x? At that price it's worth a try.
My right thumb gets painfully numb (not comfortably numb like the song) on even short freeway rides.

Being a road bicyclist, I'm also considering wrapping the grips in "bar tape". It's that spongy stuff bicyclists wrap their handlebars with.
I would order the "Grip Puppies" right now, if I knew what size!

after a few minutes browsing... they seem to have only two sizes: small and large...what fits the NC?

Thanks for the tip.

I would guess small as it has the 7/8 bars and thin grips. I would imagine the large to be for "American brand" bikes with 1 inch bars. But I am afraid that I am guessing. I think I have a spare pair and if I can find them I will report what size they are.

I had grip puppies on my Goldwing and they were great, but I wear gloves all the time also. On the NC, I'm content with gloves for now.

I had to put Grip Puppies on my F800ST for my own sake of living with the thing. They did help a lot, but not enough to make the bike bearable with it's awful vibration.

My NCX doesn't vibrate enough to effect me adversely that way, (thank heavens!) so I am unsure if I want to put the G.P.'s that I took off when getting rid of the 800, on my 700.

This is just because I am going to be doing much more offroad stuff with the NCX that I would have been doing with the BMW. I don't know if I want spongy "imprecise" feeling grips when I'm navigating some higher demand obstacles. I may put them on anyway, just to see. Super easy to take on or off, so no real problem regardless.

If one simply wants more comfort and to help out with vibes to the hands, then I would heartily recommend the Grip Puppies as well. It does take a bit of getting used to the larger diameter. For me, anyways.

I don't think I could do the throttle rocker or similar (are there similar?) devices, but I do use the other cruise "control" items, such as the Go Cruise, and the O-ring idea. (a Plumbing O-ring found in any hardware store, that you can friction fit between the end of the rubber grip and the bar end weight, where that little gap between the two is)

I'm going to try gen bicycle handlebar tape today. I've worked with that for years, and it's relatively cheap and readily available.
I'll post BEFORE/AFTER pics when I do the deed!

I just ordered the crampbusters. I wear gloves year round, my problem is I like to have a death grip for some reason. As long as I remind myself not to hold on so tight I'm usually ok.

Progrip 714. Best grip I've ever used and I've installed a pair on the last 4 bikes I've had. They install well over grip heaters. I also wear gloves every time I ride.

I'm going to try gen bicycle handlebar tape today. I've worked with that for years, and it's relatively cheap and readily available.
I'll post BEFORE/AFTER pics when I do the deed!

weird to quote myself like that, but here goes.

I went home for lunch hour and decided to wrap the NC700x grips in gray bicycle bar tape. I did it in a hurry, so the spacing and neatness of this would be and will be better when I do it again on the weekend. I started the wrap on the part closest to the bike and moved out toward the bar ends where I finished it off with black electrical tape.
I thought I might want black tape for this, but I like the gray!
Here's the photo:
ncbartape1.JPG

Wow! Is all I can say. I like the feel of it. It's a very comfortable diameter, with the tape, for my hands. It's smooth and spongy to the touch... and feels like my bicycle road bike. $12 from the bike store... I will do this from now on!

Last edited:
I tried Grip Puppies on my previous bike, and didn't like them. Then again, those grips were shaped with a smaller diameter on both ends of each grip and a fatter diameter in the middle of each grip, so that my middle fingers had to grip a fatter seeming grip than was on the ends of the grips.

On the NCX, though, they work just fine for me. I also use gloves (Lee Parks DeerTours® PCi - an Outlast insulated glove) and a Kaoko throttle lock. I also often deliberately loosen up my grip by resting the index and middle fingers of each hand on the brake and clutch levers.

Back