• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What grips are best for distance riding?

smileymotorcycle-emoticon.gifWell I have been riding with my grip puppies now for a couple months and I really like them. The bike didn't have much vibration before I put them on, now there really isn't any at all.

I also like the comfort level they bring with the slight sponge feel while still maintaining full feel of control.

Last edited:
If you come from the bicycling world (road) then bicycle bar tape gave me the best "feel".
This is the first attempt. I found that it was better to start the wrap at the bar end and move toward center... just like on a road bike.
It gives a thick, padded, feel (more so if you don't wrapt it super tight), and it doesn't cost much.
ncbartape1.JPG

If you come from the bicycling world (road) then bicycle bar tape gave me the best "feel".
This is the first attempt. I found that it was better to start the wrap at the bar end and move toward center... just like on a road bike.
It gives a thick, padded, feel (more so if you don't wrapt it super tight), and it doesn't cost much.
View attachment 6393

I did this on my last bike. Works great. I will probably do soon on the NC, just need to remember to stop by a bicycle shop and get some tape.

Sport bike riders can be seen either foolishly under dressed, or in full leathers. Riders most likely to be seen in proper gear are usually sport touring or adventure riders.

It's sad, I know.

Greg

Thanks for the thread. I will get some grip puppies. But I had to reply to this post because I frequently see sportbike riders dressed in full protective gear, boots and everything or sometimes protective jacket and gloves with jeans, but NO HELMET. This has to be the stupidest thing ever. I saw a guy a while back on a sportbike on the highway going 70mph in traffic with his helmet attached to the helmet lock. OK. Whatever. I don't know which is stupider that or the Harley riders that tell me cruisers are safer because your feet are out in front of you.

Just read through this thread. Funny, grip puppies were the first thing I added to my wife's NCX as I had an extra set in my "inventory". Been using them for years now and have them on the FJR too. Used them on the Blackbird as well. Probably one of the cheapest and best mods I have found.

try out the bmw grips, works well n reduces quite alot of vibrations frm the handlebars,
have been using them on all my bikes these few yrs~~~~

I've had grip puppies on mine since I bought the bike. I just recently took them off for the winter. I can't feel the heat from the heated grips well enough through the grip puppies and heavier gloves. When the night time temperatures stay above 45F the grip puppies will go back on. The primary reason I like them is not so much for the reduction in vibration but for the increase in diameter.

Just read through this thread. Funny, grip puppies were the first thing I added to my wife's NCX as I had an extra set in my "inventory". Been using them for years now and have them on the FJR too. Used them on the Blackbird as well. Probably one of the cheapest and best mods I have found.

Also been using the Grip Puppies (from Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at California Sport Touring ) for years on my FJR. I got spoiled with larger grips from back when I used Johar foam grips on a Suzuki I had back in the late 80's. I love the cushier grip and lessened vibration. The Honda ST1300 heated grips I have installed on my Yamaha (am I going to hell for that? :p ) work just fine through the foam.

The wife and I both didn't like the small diameter grips on the NC, so an upgrade was in order. After installing the factory heated grips on the NC, I went to my Grip Puppy stash (I bought a few pairs when I heard they were going out of production) to install a set. Sadly, it appears that the OEM heated grips are too small diameter for my small grip puppies. The foam easily slips on/off/around. :mad:

So plan B was to contact Original Grip Buddies for their wrap around neoprene grip covers. This company has a reputation for excellent customer service and I wasn't disappointed. Sending them dimensions for the heated grips resulted in an immediate reply with ordering instructions. I installed them last week (sorry no pics yet - I failed at that basic forum etiquette) and they work great. Feels much better to have the larger diameter and cushy feel. And because temps were in the low 40's, I was able to test the heated grips which still provide plenty of heat through the wraps.

I wanted a "thicker" feel and a little padding, so I wrapped them the same way I would racing bike handlebars.....with cycling bar tape.
If you're a road cyclist, it's hard to explain how good and familiar it is to have bar tape on a motorcycle.
It's cheap and easily replaceable... and in just about any color you want!
ncbartape1.JPG
Notice the electrical tape that anchors it is at the outside end. That's a mistake..Reverse it, and it works better.

Last edited:
After my ride into work this morning I have decided I don't like the small diameter grips without the grip puppies so they are going back on tonight. I'll deal with the reduce amount of heat for the comfort of a larger grip.

After my ride into work this morning I have decided I don't like the small diameter grips without the grip puppies so they are going back on tonight. I'll deal with the reduce amount of heat for the comfort of a larger grip.

I agree completely. I'm not doing heated, but changing to a larger diameter made my hands a lot more comfortable.

I wanted a "thicker" feel and a little padding, so I wrapped them the same way I would racing bike handlebars.....with cycling bar tape.
If you're a road cyclist, it's hard to explain how good and familiar it is to have bar tape on a motorcycle.
It's cheap and easily replaceable... and in just about any color you want!
Notice the electrical tape that anchors it is at the outside end. That's a mistake..Reverse it, and it works better.

Thanks for the idea and the picture. I did it outside in , wrapping toward back and used up almost the whole roll on the throttle side and a little less on left side but both feel much better. Now I need to get a bigger palm rest for it and I'll be set. My first > 500 mile day without the new fat grips, but with fat finger grips was OK but smaller than the Kuryakyn grips I have on the Wing, and my hands felt it. The kaoko throttle lock did give some relief but at least one hand needed to be on the bars a all times so hands tired at end of day. The Kuryakyn could be added to the X but since I have BarkBusters they are too long to fit, your solution seems perfect and even cheap. Thanks again.

my Grip Puppy stash (I bought a few pairs when I heard they were going out of production) to install a set.

you can still buy them here.

I have been happy with these on many bikes. Pro Grip 719 RVGS open end. No real long distance test though. But I don't ride over 300 miles usually.
001.jpg

I have put the most miles with these on my XR650L. Good with light pressure and reduced vibration from the big single. I just put these on the nc and will give them a good run next week.

IMG_0568.jpg
The big red pig is not seeing much use right now. The 700 has been just too much fun. The center stand was my design and Cigar Mike's sold them for a few years.

Back