What Dry Bag do you use for travel?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently I'm using an "Amphibious" brand dry bag in 45Liter size. It's a heck of a great bag but I find it a bit too small as it won't hold all the camping gear I carry for myself + my wife. The bag is very tough material, rigid enough that it nearly holds its shape, it has more lash down points and D-Rings than I care to count, a mesh pocket on the outside. Its a "roll top" design, that has an over-flap for added waterproof security and has never let me down. It also has 4 reflective strips on the bag for visibility.

Considering upsizing to something in the 60 to 70 liter size range.

Amphibious makes a 60L, 24.5" wide. 4 reflective strips, mesh exterior pocket, lots of tie down points.
SW-Motech makes 60L that is 27.5" wide. No reflective strips, no exterior pocket, minimal tie down points.
Oxford has a 70L that is 25.5" wide. No reflective strips, exterior zipper pocket, minimal tie down points.
FirstGear has a 70L that is 28" wide. No reflective strips, exterior zipper pocket, lots of tie down points.

What works for you? Photos if possible.

Most of the photos below are "stock images" of what I am using.

And here it is strapped across my Dale's Rack. The bag is approx 22.5" long. If it was any longer it would make it difficult to access the side luggage while still strapped to the bike.

GregC

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a FirstGear Torrent 40L -- it was enough for a week in Alaska (but we were riding everyday, not much walking around except dinners, so I didn't need a lot of street clothes).

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
The FirstGear 70L looks really good. I’d like to see one in person. I’m impressed with our FirstGear jackets.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once upon a time, TourAndRide had a Kappa 50 liter bag for half price. I bought it and I use it for camping. All my moto camping gear stays in it all the time: tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, ground cloth, chair, & pillow. See it below in the photos. 50 liter seems like a good size for the NC. I have a smaller red dry bag (forgot the brand at the moment) that straps to the top of this one for really bigs trips on the Goldwing.

FB0235FB-5C50-42C3-A183-E4898A6678FA.jpeg731C864C-57C3-40E0-9FAE-A2D089722888.jpeg04E7C2BE-DF2B-4505-80F9-301903D0D026.jpeg

Last edited:

LeeInMpls

Reaction score
Visit site
Found it! I posted about my Core bag at the other luggage topic. It is 60L and I don't imagine I'll every be able to fill it. But it is a good accessible place to put rain gear, jacke, spare helmet,t or other bulky light stuff I might pick up on the way. My 80L of saddle bags should hold most camping gear. One side for tent, hammock, fly, footprint and other stuff that might get wet and the other side for food, clothing, sleeping bag, stove, etc I don't want to put wet stuff on top of.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Found it! I posted about my Core bag at the other luggage topic. It is 60L and I don't imagine I'll every be able to fill it. ...
I tend to carry my stuff, the camping stuff, and some of my wife's stuff. So that is why I'm considering a bag larger than the 45L bag I currently own.

I mostly use my First Gear 40L when I have more than my Givi Trekker luggage will carry. (Longer trips and camping gear.) I have a 25L First Gear and a 60L Motech.
Honestly the FirstGear 70L is looking very attractive at this point.

If I buy another bag, the FirstGear 70L seems to check off all the boxes except for "visibility"

I'm very happy with my Amphibian and their 60L checks off every box on the wish list, but at $30 more and 10L less than the FirstGear it might be hard to justify.

The other option is for my wife's bike to carry a bit more of our load, that would eliminate the need for a large capacity (60-70 liter) bag for my bike. Hmmmm....