• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What do you do when the wind blows fierce

The Phoenix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's been an increasing number of times that I have been out riding and and the wind picks up making me almost feel that the NC is being blown across the lane and sometimes I get the sense that the bottom of the bike is being blown out from underneath me. During those times I press my knees tightly against the bike and make sure I have a good grasp on the handlebars. Some questions to address such situations:

1. Are there fairings that I can buy to stabilize the bike in such situations?
2. Are there any maneuvers that can be suggested? Do I just pull off the road and hope the wind dies down and/or look for secondary roads with a lower speed limit?
3. Can heavier MCs accommodate higher wind speeds until the speeds result in the same feeling of being blown across the road?

Like you the more I ride the longer (distance and time) I want to ride so any suggestions you can offer will be most appreciated.
TIA.

I just lean into it.

Been in winds so bad in Colorado that a gust will move you from centerline to edge line.

Her are pics I took of a buddy of mine fighting the wind in Colorado on his 1000 V Strom

R3udmMVh.jpg

H8uLvm5h.jpg

My take on it is that clenching up too tight makes things worse. Yes, you’d want to have firm control of the bars, and be very attentive to changes in the wind, but sort of in the way you would handle gravel, you do still want some degree of looseness.

It is important to be aware of obstructions like passing trucks, bridges, buildings, or vegetation along the roadway that can temporarily block or open up the wind flow. As much as I’ve tried to cope, I have been blown totally across the lane by transitions of wind vs vacuum.

My experience with different bikes is that lower center of gravity and higher weight minimizes (but not eliminates) side wind effects. The NC generally does well with side wind, with the Goldwing being slightly better at handling it.

I’ve had some super scary side wind moments, the worst being long, tall bridges with brisk cross winds, made worse riding in heavy rain.

I think you are too tense
Completely off topic but reminds me of a joke! A guy walks into his doctor and tells him he's not feeling well, emotionally. The doctor asks the patient what he's feeling. The patient says, " I keep on having these thoughts that I'm a teepee, then a wigwam, then a teepee, then a wigwam." The doctor says "I know exactly what's wrong with you. You're two tents." Sorry for the diversion but that joke always made me smile a little.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their wisdom, experience(s) and especially pictures...and jokes are also always welcomed. Your input is well taken - try to relax, learn to work with it better, and enjoy the ride because...

A man goes into his doctor's office. He raises his arms and says "It hurts when I do this". The doctor says "Don't do it." Since not riding is not an option and I can't control when the wind blows it's best I learn to do my best with the ride.
Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Those are two of my favorite old jokes!

Perhaps the worst winds I’ve ridden in were a few years ago in the Vegas to Death Valley region. A storm was blowing through and my wife (pillion) and I were laid over as though cornering rather hard, for miles. That was punctuated by gusts and ‘holes’ in the wind that had us moving completely across the lane. There was a stretch wherein when a semi or other large vehicle would pass in the other direction, it took significant anticipation and quick response to not be pulled or pushed either off the road or into oncoming traffic behind it. I even though we’d be flung into the ground at one point (leaned way into the wind, which suddenly quit). Soon, the flying dirt and sand cut visibility, so we stopped and waited a while. Did I mention it was also freezing cold for the first part of the morning? Not a fun AM.

RELAX YOUR GRIP. It’s not helping, and it’s almost certainly fatiguing you and _may_ be making things worse for you.

You’re gonna get blown around. As I’ve heard some (mostly Army) say: Embrace the suck. Fighting it will only make things worse, but you can learn to sort of flow with the bike while still retaining control so you don’t crash, and you’ll be okay.

If it’s too windy, slow down or stop (but pull off the road first if you stop!).

Lower and lower-profile bikes will get blown around less because there’s less for the wind to push on, and what there is to push on is lower to the ground. That’s why the rider in the pics is laying down. That actually means that fairings or even just bigger windscreens frequently make it worse (broadly, generally speaking). All this to say: Don’t go putting big windscreens and fairings on the NCX if you’re trying to reduce this effect, unless you’re gonna put nearly full bodywork on.

I read that you should hang your knee out in the direction the wind is coming from. Has anyone else tried this?

I read that you should hang your knee out in the direction the wind is coming from. Has anyone else tried this?
What would that accomplish?

Those are two of my favorite old jokes!

Perhaps the worst winds I’ve ridden in were a few years ago in the Vegas to Death Valley region. A storm was blowing through and my wife (pillion) and I were laid over as though cornering rather hard, for miles. That was punctuated by gusts and ‘holes’ in the wind that had us moving completely across the lane. There was a stretch wherein when a semi or other large vehicle would pass in the other direction, it took significant anticipation and quick response to not be pulled or pushed either off the road or into oncoming traffic behind it. I even though we’d be flung into the ground at one point (leaned way into the wind, which suddenly quit). Soon, the flying dirt and sand cut visibility, so we stopped and waited a while. Did I mention it was also freezing cold for the first part of the morning? Not a fun AM.

RELAX YOUR GRIP. It’s not helping, and it’s almost certainly fatiguing you and _may_ be making things worse for you.

You’re gonna get blown around. As I’ve heard some (mostly Army) say: Embrace the suck. Fighting it will only make things worse, but you can learn to sort of flow with the bike while still retaining control so you don’t crash, and you’ll be okay.

If it’s too windy, slow down or stop (but pull off the road first if you stop!).

Lower and lower-profile bikes will get blown around less because there’s less for the wind to push on, and what there is to push on is lower to the ground. That’s why the rider in the pics is laying down. That actually means that fairings or even just bigger windscreens frequently make it worse (broadly, generally speaking). All this to say: Don’t go putting big windscreens and fairings on the NCX if you’re trying to reduce this effect, unless you’re gonna put nearly full bodywork on.
I can't speak for mzflorida but I proudly admit my attempt at humor probably dates back to the single digit centuries. That notwithstanding I appreciate your guidance and will add it to the sage guidance I already received, especially pulling off the road before I decide to stop.

It is supposed to put drag on that side of the bike pulling you towards the direction of the incoming wind and off setting the push.
When you go past a tall building that blocks the wind or even causes a wind direction reversal, do you suddenly switch legs?

Wind gusts will move the bike, so we plan ahead and position the bike accordingly. Plan ahead for gusts on bridges and for wind shadows behind terrain. All the folks that said relax and roll with it are right on the money. Strong gusts + rain = slow down. Get off the interstate and take the old roads if possible. It's a lot less work and you'll arrive a bit later than planned but in a better mood.

It is supposed to put drag on that side of the bike pulling you towards the direction of the incoming wind and off setting the push.
Rabbit - I have to admit that I don't always fully understand maneuvers and solutions shared by forum members and sometimes wait for additional discussion to get a better understanding and consider information further. Nonetheless I appreciate the time and helpful intent that people have to take the time to submit replies. Thx Rabbit.

Rabbit - I have to admit that I don't always fully understand maneuvers and solutions shared by forum members and sometimes wait for additional discussion to get a better understanding and consider information further. Nonetheless I appreciate the time and helpful intent that people have to take the time to submit replies. Thx Rabbit.
You’re most welcome. I’m not totally sure if the knee thing works but it’s a suggestion I have heard. Who knows it may work for you!

There's been an increasing number of times that I have been out riding and and the wind picks up making me almost feel that the NC is being blown across the lane and sometimes I get the sense that the bottom of the bike is being blown out from underneath me. During those times I press my knees tightly against the bike and make sure I have a good grasp on the handlebars. Some questions to address such situations:

1. Are there fairings that I can buy to stabilize the bike in such situations?
2. Are there any maneuvers that can be suggested? Do I just pull off the road and hope the wind dies down and/or look for secondary roads with a lower speed limit?
3. Can heavier MCs accommodate higher wind speeds until the speeds result in the same feeling of being blown across the road?

Like you the more I ride the longer (distance and time) I want to ride so any suggestions you can offer will be most appreciated.
TIA.
Like others I think a lighter grip on the bars might help. I live in the same area as you and it hasn't been that windy to me.

Like others I think a lighter grip on the bars might help. I live in the same area as you and it hasn't been that windy to me.
Thank-you for sharing your experience and advice dduelin. I posed the question after an afternoon riding on Nocatee Parkway and a particularly bad day coming across the Dames Point Bridge. I can't say it bad winds happens often but my two recent experiences were bad enough to ask what the more experienced and knowledgeable riders in the forum do under the circumstances. Again thanks for the suggestion.

For me the NC is the most stable windy riding motorcycle I have had. My Vstrom was a white knuckle kite ride, the CB500X also got blown around but not as much as the Vstrom. I can ride the Columbia Gorge and not worry about the bike. Now if I am wearing my Arai XD it is another story.

Back