• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What apps do you use?

NickV

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found 3 apps that are geared specific to motorcyclists - Rever (now a part of the Revzilla empire); ESR (Eat Sleep Ride) which has a great feature called Crashlight to notify specified contacts if you, well, crash; and Riser, which seems to be mainly European-focused. Anybody else using these? What do you think? I've used Rever most estensively, and use it to update friends who are geographically distant as far as what misadventures I've gotten into. ESR I use specifically for the Crashlight to keep the wife happy. Riser, well, I'm figuring that one out!

I use Scenic for navigation on the bike. I plan most routes on my desk computer with MyRoute-app.

Personally I dislike REVER

Never heard of the other 2 apps.

REVER was pushed by Honda a year or two ago. I already had SCENIC installed and love it. REVER seemed to duplicate what SCENIC already offered and didn't seem to have any serious advantages over what I already had. I tried to like it but I simply could not. But, if I had REVER and didn't have SCENIC then I'd probably be happy enough with REVER that it is unlikely I would switch.

Not sure about the Crashlite app, but that seems interesting. How does it work? Does it automatically detect a crash and notify your contacts?

I have tried rever in the past and didn't like it. I use RVparky.com almost exclusively to plan my routes. Super easy to use and you can share the link to your planned ride easily as well. I also use FreeCampsites.com along with RVparky once i'm in an area looking for a place to land. I have not found any others that i like yet. :{)

I have tried rever in the past and didn't like it. I use RVparky.com almost exclusively to plan my routes. Super easy to use and you can share the link to your planned ride easily as well. I also use FreeCampsites.com along with RVparky once i'm in an area looking for a place to land. I have not found any others that i like yet. :{)
freecampsites.net is what you probably want.

Personally I dislike REVER

Never heard of the other 2 apps.

REVER was pushed by Honda a year or two ago. I already had SCENIC installed and love it. REVER seemed to duplicate what SCENIC already offered and didn't seem to have any serious advantages over what I already had. I tried to like it but I simply could not. But, if I had REVER and didn't have SCENIC then I'd probably be happy enough with REVER that it is unlikely I would switch.

Not sure about the Crashlite app, but that seems interesting. How does it work? Does it automatically detect a crash and notify your contacts?
That's exactly what Crashlite claims to do (I've not crashed with it). It apparently senses a rapid deceleration and interprets that as a crash. The sensitivity to that deceleration can be tuned, so if you get a few false alerts from traffic panic stops you can scale it back.

I've never heard of SCENIC. Will check that out!

That's exactly what Crashlite claims to do (I've not crashed with it). It apparently senses a rapid deceleration and interprets that as a crash. The sensitivity to that deceleration can be tuned, so if you get a few false alerts from traffic panic stops you can scale it back.

Follow up - SCENIC is I-Phone only. I'm Android based.

Do you know: Does that mean it’ll send an “I crashed!” alert if I simply drop the phone on the ground when I get off the bike at a refuel stop (or similar)?

No, you didn't. The magnitude and generally vector direction of the acceleration is completely different.

So, to repeat for anyone you have confused with your mistake: Does the app send an "I crashed!" alert if I simply drop the phone on the ground when I get off the bike at a refuel stop (or similar)?

So, to repeat for anyone you have confused with your mistake: Does the app send an "I crashed!" alert if I simply drop the phone on the ground when I get off the bike at a refuel stop (or similar)?
Some of the reviews state that it has sent false positives during hard deceleration. It does have a 3 minute window where you can cancel the alert

Reactions: MZ5
The ONE APP that I totally forgot about, but that I use every time I go out on the bike, is actually my weather app.

I use DARK SKY, which does cost $3.99 to buy, but it is, by far, the most accurate weather app that I have ever used. Stunningly accurate, in fact. While most apps will tell me that I have some % chance of rain in the next hour, Dark Sky will tell me that rain will be stating in 10 minutes. It will even tell me if it is light rain, heavy rain, etc . . .

Going back to SCENIC, really only use that for navigation. As a stand alone APP it is useful to get me to a place or a city for just a fun ride. Gives turn by turn navigation. Most importantly it works without any internet connection using downloaded maps that are stored on my phone. Uses GPS signals and not cellular data plans so it works in very remote areas when cellular signals are weak or non-existent. Basically SCENIC can turn your smartphone into GPS unit so you don't have to have a separate GPS navigator. The SCENIC APP can also accept numerous different format routes like .gpx routes so you can route a trip on your computer and upload the trip into your SCENIC and use it. If I am out for just a leisure ride then normally I will not use any navigation. I may occasionally pull up a map if I get confused, but as soon as I figure out my bearings I typically close the map APP and continue my ride.

I have the CARDO and the SPOT apps both loaded onto my phone. Honestly they are almost never used. The Cardo headsets do not require that I open the APP to connect to my phone for infotainment purposes. SPOT app simply duplicates the functions of the SPOT satellite communicator, again it is not really needed so basically never used.

Also loaded onto the phone but only occasionally used are BOOKING.com, Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott. What I found out is that I prefer to book directly with locally owned motel & small hotels. Booking helps me find those places but if you book a night through the APP the hotel pays a huge commission to the APP. So I will typically find the motel using the BOOKING APP, then contact the motel directly. It helps keep small businesses in business! As for the chain hotel APPs, those do come in handy from time to time.

No longer have any need for any RV-CAMPING app on my phone. I sold our 2 man tent & sleeping bags after our Great Lakes Circle Tour trip a few years ago to a buddy of mine who wanted to ride to Montana with his daughter. Haven't stayed in an RV resort since. Arthritis makes cramped tent camping no fun. If I get back to camping, it will be with a thicker ground pad, larger tent and a folding camp chair. I did keep my camp cooking/etc supplies.

Do you know: Does that mean it’ll send an “I crashed!” alert if I simply drop the phone on the ground when I get off the bike at a refuel stop (or similar

Do you know: Does that mean it’ll send an “I crashed!” alert if I simply drop the phone on the ground when I get off the bike at a refuel stop (or similar)?
Not unless you're tall enough for the phone to reach terminal velocity prior to impact. 8)

I'm not an app developer, but from what I understand it will monitor via location-based gps your consistent speed, thereby not triggering due to slowing down for a stop, tipping over if you forget to put your feet down at the off ramp after too many miles on the highway, fumbling the phone when already stopped, or replying to a text regarding Niki Minage's sister's cousins' friend's roommate's uncle's private bits.

You should be fine for butterfinger moments. If it were to fall out during a ride, that would in theory be enough to trigger the alert since there'd be a rapid deceleration.

Reactions: MZ5
I use Garmin Base Camp, but just bought 1 year of Rever. Used a discount coupon I found online so it only cost me $20.00 for the year. Seems to be easy enough to use.
My Zumo has the crash notify app. I don't want to rely on my phone for Nav or have any false alerts sent to anyone if I should drop the phone.

Back