• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What a pain! (Any ideas)?

PapaC

Reaction score
Visit site
Love my NC so far after 8 months, and about 3k miles now. Lately though, I get a sharp knot in my upper back after riding. It's between my shoulder blade and neck, and is only on the right side. I did search some and found most have said just try to relax, but I don't think I'm tensing at all. Has any one here dealt with this, or know what the solution could be? Are rox risers in my future? Or do I need to sit more upright, and closer. I'm 5'8" and it does seem at times like I wish the bars were closer. I just don't know, and it's driving me nuts. Been going on for about a week and a half now. Which is what's strange. Why would it all of a sudden start? My commute is 40 miles, and by the time I get to work, or home it's killing me. Thanks for any insight you can give.

I've had the pain you describe. It was hard to figure out what was causing it, but a combination of bar risers, consciously relaxing my muscles (yoga on a bike? Lol), and using a throttle rocker really helped. I feel like it's partially a muscular thing from using the throttle for too long, as the first time I had this pain I had sore muscles in that location a few days later. For me, the pain only showed up on long rides over 300 miles, but now I only experience it at about 400 miles and far more mildly.

Thanks for the quick responses! I thought maybe I just needed to get butt time to get used to riding after so long a layoff, but it seems to be getting worse. I also had soreness in my throttle wrist for a while at first, but it has gone completely away. I was considering offset risers anyway before this started, so I may try those to bring the bars closer. Thanks Greg, and 208rider for the links. Those look like the ticket, or I may try the Zetas'. I've got to get this worked out. I'd like to do a few day long rides while the weather is nice!

Spend $25 or so on eBay risers and your wallet ache will be less than it will be with Roxx -- does the same job ; }

Once you have risers you may want to try two or three different angles for the bars, and it does work better if the front of the seat mod is performed.

I think a good windshield helps too. The stock Honda screen especially with handguard plastic changing the airstream, is usually only good at maximizing upper body fatigue due more to its lack of width and its basic angle, methinks.

You might also try and make sure that you are riding with your elbows turned in toward your torso. Sometimes a rider can develop the habit of allowing his/her elbows to drift out and up, causing strain across the mid-shoulder area.

I put 2" risers on mine when my rear shoulder/neck started hurting. I adjusted it t mostly add height, but with a little bit of rear sweep. I never got that pain again, even on back to back 500 mile days.

My pain is always lower on my back, around the kidney area. Get it when I drive too. I blame it on old age.

Before modifying the bike 30-40 minutes in the saddle on any bike is not a long time and killer pain in that short short time .............I would ask about your general health and fitness. Previous back or neck pain from other activities, injuries or work ? Your mentioned your height.....weight ? Other pain when riding in wrist, hands, knees or hips ? General fitness, could your hike a mile or two ? Ride a mountain bike for 30 minutes ?

Last edited:
Before modifying the bike 30-40 minutes in the saddle on any bike is not a long time and killer pain in that short short time .............I would ask about your general health and fitness. Previous back or neck pain from other activities, injuries or work ? Your mentioned your height.....weight ? Other pain when riding in wrist, hands, knees or hips ? General fitness, could your hike a mile or two ? Ride a mountain bike for 30 minutes ?

I'm not young (58 in two weeks), but I'm in fine health. 155 lbs, fairly active job, maintain our 2 acre property and could hike, or bike a couple miles easy. Just last year hunting I hauled a deer a mile out of the woods using a cart. Two weeks ago we went on our annual family week riding ATVs on dunes at Florence, Oregon (see avatar pic). No problems with that. So I'm convinced it's ergonomic. The bike had a Shad seat on it when I bought it, which seems OK comfort wise exempt when temps get hot. Then I experience a little discomfort in my crotch area. I stand up for a minute and it helps for a while. I installed the Givi windscreen shortly after buying the bike, and it works well for my height. I'm considering lowering the bike a little so I can flat foot and back into parking spots etc easier. Thanks again all. I just ordered the China clamps. We'll see how it goes from there. Keep the ideas coming if you have any..

Well I'm a geezer and everyday I wake up wondering, "what's going to hurt today?" But as for you, I have to ask, "how tight do you hold the grips?"

Even when riding a 850 lb. Harley your grip should be about as tight as holding a babies hand. And yes, even on the throttle.

Here's a tip I learned years ago skiing - point your index fingers when holding the grips. It relaxes your hand, wrist and forearms and will relieve tension up to your shoulders. It works great with ski poles and on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I think people aren't that in tune with their body's state until a small or large problem manifests. Maybe motorcycles should have a biofeedback monitor ; }

Do you have the stock seat? Changing out the seat can help by altering the ergonomics slightly.

I'm not young (58 in two weeks), but I'm in fine health. 155 lbs, fairly active job, maintain our 2 acre property and could hike, or bike a couple miles easy. Just last year hunting I hauled a deer a mile out of the woods using a cart. Two weeks ago we went on our annual family week riding ATVs on dunes at Florence, Oregon (see avatar pic). No problems with that. So I'm convinced it's ergonomic. The bike had a Shad seat on it when I bought it, which seems OK comfort wise exempt when temps get hot. Then I experience a little discomfort in my crotch area. I stand up for a minute and it helps for a while. I installed the Givi windscreen shortly after buying the bike, and it works well for my height. I'm considering lowering the bike a little so I can flat foot and back into parking spots etc easier. Thanks again all. I just ordered the China clamps. We'll see how it goes from there. Keep the ideas coming if you have any..

Well dragging a deer or ATV riding .........will certainly bring out back, shoulder or neck problems more so than the NC. So your likely correct the NC setup might be a problem.

The seat and crotch issue .........many of us find the forward tip or slope of the seat ( stock and some aftermarket) a HUGE issue. Modify the seat slope by raising the front really helps.

Anyone tall enough or with their NC lowered can definitely come up with a better seat. And those who are medium-sized can probably, too. Seems like Honda could have conformed the pan to what's underneath it better and then used more and better foams there. But cost cost cost. If it wasn't for needing to be able to back up on uneven surfaces I'd probably go to Russell Day Long. I'd say I could lower my NC to facilitate that but after riding yesterday with some cruiser types, I was the only one who didn't bottom out on Looking Glass Hill, which is a real test of suspension and cornering -- and vertigo for that matter!

I put a set of Rox 1" x 1 1/4" risers and helped to remove that ache. My issue is sometimes I tense up and my lower lumbar starts hurting. That's usually when I'm pushing a bit hard in the curves. I need a trip to Ana. She can make you levitate about 6" off the table when she loosens those kinks.

Yup, bar risers was the solution for me. Before riser it would feel like someone hit me with a hammer between the shoulder blades. I tried the Rox risers up and back but couldn't get them to lock down. Sure it was something I was doing wrong as I think many have been successful with installing. I gave up and went with a standard riser and adjusted bar angle and am no longer feeling that knot between shoulders. Now just have to figure out what I want to do about that pain in the *** seat.

Back