• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What’s a K1600GTL like?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m looking for a motorcycle my wife would be more comfortable on than the NC. I’m pretty sure she’d be comfy on a Goldwing. I’m generally not satisfied with the ergos on the ones I’ve sat on in showrooms. A used K16 is no more, maybe less, than a GW.

What are they like on the road, especially for the passenger? We don’t super-slab for long miles. Some slab to get to interesting roads is our mix. What’s maintenance like on them? A half-day-long job to get to valves or spark plugs? Do the shims need changed much? Electrical issues?

We sat on an R1200RT this week, and neither of us thought much of it. Feels remarkably similar to the NC to me, in terms of knee and hip bend. She didn’t hate but didn’t like her seat or seat-peg-backrest relationship much. Maybe that bike had a low seat, IDK. I was surprised by it (but not in a good way).

Anybody had a K16?

FWIW, I have absolutely zero interest in a bike that needs the dealer for any routine maintenance, so I’d appreciate knowing that about them.

There are lots of Goldwing VS K16 comparisons if you google it. I won’t mention any other forums here but just do a search and you can spend the day reading..... I have owned a bunch of beemers over the years and had good luck with them but when it came time for a two up machine, you can see the choice I made to the left.....

Never ridden a K1600 but I think they are gorgeous. In my opinion, which is a little emotional and a little informed, the new GW is the best touring bike ever. I have put on a few hundred on it.

I managed to do all the required maintenance on my former GL1800. Those external cylinder heads facilitate that. Not sure that it would be as easy on a K16. Also if going for used, make sure that gearbox mods have been done. I think there was a recall.

We’re back on the K1600 hunt, after nearly a year of other things taking priority. We’ve also sat on at least 3 Goldwings, including a brand-new one. Both of us find them not-good. They’re like most every Honda I’ve sat on for years: too ‘compact’ in terms of the rider triangle for us, particularly foot pegs vs seat, and we HATE the seats.

I’ve had a couple K16 owners tell me they want too much money for their bikes because they just had a dealer perform the $1,000 or $1,500 service scheduled for xx,xxx miles. I prefer to do my own maintenance, but it concerns me slightly that a routine service would cost so much if you went to the dealer.

OTOH, the engine is SO SWEET!!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or input on used (probably a ‘12 or ‘13) K1600s, please post ‘em up!

New updated K1600 models released in Europe just now. Surprised. I had assumed they would be deleted from the range. Too much tech for me but the engine appeals.

Reactions: MZ5
One of my riding buddies has one. He loves it. There have been a couple of recalls and he has had some issues. Reverse went out, and the trans was recalled. They eat rear tires lol. I believe his is a 2019. I don't think he could tell you about rear passenger comfort though because his wife doesn't ride. Be glad to pass on your email to him if you think you'd want to talk to him personally. If so just message me.

I have a friend that sold his K1600 because his wife said there was no room and wouldn't ride with him. As long as your wife's happy... well you know.:rolleyes:

• Wow
The K 12,13, and 16 bikes are complicated, not very reliable and are hostile to the mechanic to work on.

Just one example, changing the spark plugs requires a coolant drain and refill which requires a special coolant pump to refill again and then you need a dealer tool to reset the service light...

I know the earlier K bikes had problems with paralever leaks, spline issues, servo brake issues, and blowing smoke on startup. Maybe the newer ones are better, but that's what they say about royal Enfields, and hyosungs, and Urals.

I'd prefer to spend my clams making ergonomic adjustments to a well engineered bike, instead of buying a bunch of gimmicky tools just to keep the bike running normally.

A friend of mine had a 2012 IIRC and I rode it a few times. Insanely smooth powerful engine that liked to run but would also putter docilely around at 3500 rpm. 5500 rpm shifts in the first three gears leads to 100 mph in the blink of an eye and the thing redlines at 9000 rpm IIRC. That would be my problem as I like to go really fast sometimes. I replaced the water pump for him - the early years have pumps that might leak early in life. It wasn't particularly complicated to drain and fill the coolant for this job as I recall. I know another guy with 100,000 miles+ on his K16 and he swears it has been as reliable as his previous Honda ST1300.

A friend of mine had a 2012 IIRC and I rode it a few times. Insanely smooth powerful engine that liked to run but would also putter docilely around at 3500 rpm. 5500 rpm shifts in the first three gears leads to 100 mph in the blink of an eye and the thing redlines at 9000 rpm IIRC. That would be my problem as I like to go really fast sometimes.

Yeah, I understand.
Truthfully, 160hp is much more than I care about having on a motorcycle. I’m fine with 160 in my car. LOL!
I guess I don’t _have_ to crank the throttle all the way open. (-:

I love a 6 cylinder engine, and I’d like a bit more power and quite a bit more space than Wiley has for 2-up trips, and a more ‘standard’ riding posture than, say, a Kawi Vulcan. Early K16s are fairly inexpensive compared to their initial selling prices, so I though they’d be a great choice.

K1600 is a great bike, very smooth and powerful, great seat and weather protection. With that said, it’s also heavy and a real handful at low speeds.. Service costs tend to be $$$. Long haul trips-tough to beat. Local stuff, kinda a pain. All bikes are compromises. Ya choose what works for you.

Made a deal on a K16. Going to get it in a week or two. Same age as Wiley (2012) and only somewhat fewer miles, but I'm looking forward to it!
Hey don't think I've read any kind of follow up on this. Did ya get the K16? What do ya think?

I did. It's a WONDERFUL bike! Ultra-comfy for my wife, and I really like it. Cruise control is everything I'd hoped, maybe even a touch more, and I LOVE an inline six engine, and it's certainly super-smooth. I even like having a radio onboard!

Like other European bikes I've been around, this BMW inexplicably uses a (loud) straight-cut gear set to drive the tranny input shaft from the crank. I also haven't yet quite worked out the difference in how to 'properly' shift it for maximum smoothness during gear changes (this engine revs _very_ quickly_). Those are the only things that come close to complaints for me. We've run around Arizona a bit already, and look forward to more before it gets hot again.

Maintenance looks to me to be super-easy and cheap, since only about 3 out of all the K16 owners in the world have hardly ever had to adjust any valves on these engines. Okay, maybe more than 3, but probably not more than 6, and few owners even bother to check valves more than every 50k or more it seems, so basically it's just oil and filter, and final drive oil (yay for shaft drive!) for maintenance.

I'm super happy with it, and glad I found it!

EDIT: I forgot to say how smooth and refined it is compared to the NCX. The controls, the suspension, everything is just smooth. The electronically-adjustable suspension is pretty cool to play with, too, and makes a distinct difference in ride in the different modes. It's also handy to just change a quick setting to increase or decrease rear preload for passenger vs no-passenger.

I also haven't yet quite worked out the difference in how to 'properly' shift it for maximum smoothness during gear changes (this engine revs _very_ quickly_).
My suggestion for shifting light crankshaft easy revving engines is to roll the throttle down but not off, pull the clutch lever half way in, and quickly shift just as the clutch starts to slip.
No need to pull the clutch lever all the way to the handlebar.
I would almost call it a speed shift without holding the throttle wide open.
Of course these 3 steps must be done as fast as possible to prevent the crank from losing momentum and keep the flow of torque from the engine to trans as fluid and steady as possible.

I did. It's a WONDERFUL bike! Ultra-comfy for my wife, and I really like it. Cruise control is everything I'd hoped, maybe even a touch more, and I LOVE an inline six engine, and it's certainly super-smooth. I even like having a radio onboard!

Like other European bikes I've been around, this BMW inexplicably uses a (loud) straight-cut gear set to drive the tranny input shaft from the crank. I also haven't yet quite worked out the difference in how to 'properly' shift it for maximum smoothness during gear changes (this engine revs _very_ quickly_). Those are the only things that come close to complaints for me. We've run around Arizona a bit already, and look forward to more before it gets hot again.

Maintenance looks to me to be super-easy and cheap, since only about 3 out of all the K16 owners in the world have hardly ever had to adjust any valves on these engines. Okay, maybe more than 3, but probably not more than 6, and few owners even bother to check valves more than every 50k or more it seems, so basically it's just oil and filter, and final drive oil (yay for shaft drive!) for maintenance.

I'm super happy with it, and glad I found it!

EDIT: I forgot to say how smooth and refined it is compared to the NCX. The controls, the suspension, everything is just smooth. The electronically-adjustable suspension is pretty cool to play with, too, and makes a distinct difference in ride in the different modes. It's also handy to just change a quick setting to increase or decrease rear preload for passenger vs no-passenger.
Good deal, glad you are enjoying it. My buddy loves his.

Back