• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Went for Laminar Lip for my ncx

skiphunt

Reaction score
Visit site
Was so torn on what to do about the windscreen. Read countless threads about varying screens, etc. and settle on one that I thought was worth the risk of getting stuck with a screen that wasn't working for me.

I decided that all I was really looking for was something to decrease the unstable air at over about 70mph with the stock screen. I don't mind some wind, but that staccato effect I was getting at higher speeds I felt would cause too much fatigue for longer trips.

So, even though I could find almost no reports on whether the Laminar Lip would work for me... because they offer a 30day guarantee, I decided to give that a shot. Love the way the bike looks stock, so I didn't want to put a big-ol windshield on it, and there were plenty of reports of increased buffeting and noise.

Spoke with the Lamina Lip people and though the info was a bit vague with regard to the ncx, they said one fellow who tested it for them, seemed to prefer the shorter one instead of the larger touring model. By the photos, I didn't trust it being held on with the 3M velcro locking tabs, but the short one seemed like it could plausibly handle it.

Got it in last week but had to wait until the temps to come up to over 70F to get a good stick with the 3M locks. Went for a quick ride and noticed it seemed calmer at lower speed. Then, went for a longer ride yesterday about an hour outside of town via highway to visit a friend. I tried the stock shield with the lip on the lower mounts on the way there, then the higher mounts on the way back. Not sure there was that much difference between the two, but still experimenting.

I need to get more riding in before I could recommend the Laminar Lip, but this is what I feel is being accomplished so far. With no Laminar Lip, the stock screen is stable with no buffeting up to around 60-65. At around 70-75mph, it's tough to open my face shield, I'm getting this alternating airflow to each side of my chest that feels like you're fighting the wind, and I have trouble hearing a podcast in my earbuds.

With the Laminar Lip, it's noticeably less wind up to about 50mph. After that, I start getting more wind to my chest, but it's much more stable all the way up to 85mph. The wind increases with speed, but never becomes that staccato side to side beating of the wind. It just feels like smooth wind. At 75mph I can easily open and ride with my face shield open, and I can hear a podcast playing in my earbuds.

I don't have extra shield protecting me obviously, but all I was really after was reducing noise and fatigue from wind and highway speeds. So far, I think the Laminar Lip has achieved that, but will test more before the 30day return guarantee runs out.

Thanks for the detailed 'review'. I just fitted the Cal Sci tinted shorty, which is similar height and a little wider than the OEM touring screen, and based on one ride so far, I'd say I'm experiencing similar results to you. I think the standard mini-screen does create some side to side buffeting around the mid to upper chest area that the Cal Sci helps with, particularly when speeds get up around 70-80mph. Being only 16" tall my helmet is well above the quiet zone.

Last edited:
If anyone saw my posted video of wind patterns around my National Cycle windshield I put the OEM back on and repeated the thread tuft experiment. I did not record video but I did "see" that the air bubble immediately collapses behind the stock shield with no laminar flow up and over it. I can agree that there is no smooth air at chest level with the stock shield but we already knew that.

700x with the Honda taller screen, at these higher speeds the buffeting seems to become unpleasant when in the dirty air of vehicles in front, even at safe following distances. On an open clear road unless it is a windy day it is only minor gusts that change with the terrain.

Was so torn on what to do about the windscreen. Read countless threads about varying screens, etc. and settle on one that I thought was worth the risk of getting stuck with a screen that wasn't working for me.

I decided that all I was really looking for was something to decrease the unstable air at over about 70mph with the stock screen. I don't mind some wind, but that staccato effect I was getting at higher speeds I felt would cause too much fatigue for longer trips.

So, even though I could find almost no reports on whether the Laminar Lip would work for me... because they offer a 30day guarantee, I decided to give that a shot. Love the way the bike looks stock, so I didn't want to put a big-ol windshield on it, and there were plenty of reports of increased buffeting and noise.

Please keep us informed with your evaluation of the Laminar Lips. I think I will go with the shorter one. It worked very well on my KLR650. Sometimes less is more!

Spoke with the Lamina Lip people and though the info was a bit vague with regard to the ncx, they said one fellow who tested it for them, seemed to prefer the shorter one instead of the larger touring model. By the photos, I didn't trust it being held on with the 3M velcro locking tabs, but the short one seemed like it could plausibly handle it.

Got it in last week but had to wait until the temps to come up to over 70F to get a good stick with the 3M locks. Went for a quick ride and noticed it seemed calmer at lower speed. Then, went for a longer ride yesterday about an hour outside of town via highway to visit a friend. I tried the stock shield with the lip on the lower mounts on the way there, then the higher mounts on the way back. Not sure there was that much difference between the two, but still experimenting.

I need to get more riding in before I could recommend the Laminar Lip, but this is what I feel is being accomplished so far. With no Laminar Lip, the stock screen is stable with no buffeting up to around 60-65. At around 70-75mph, it's tough to open my face shield, I'm getting this alternating airflow to each side of my chest that feels like you're fighting the wind, and I have trouble hearing a podcast in my earbuds.

With the Laminar Lip, it's noticeably less wind up to about 50mph. After that, I start getting more wind to my chest, but it's much more stable all the way up to 85mph. The wind increases with speed, but never becomes that staccato side to side beating of the wind. It just feels like smooth wind. At 75mph I can easily open and ride with my face shield open, and I can hear a podcast playing in my earbuds.

I don't have extra shield protecting me obviously, but all I was really after was reducing noise and fatigue from wind and highway speeds. So far, I think the Laminar Lip has achieved that, but will test more before the 30day return guarantee runs out.

Please keep us informed with your evaluation of the Laminar Lips. I think I will go with the shorter one. It worked very well on my KLR650. Sometimes less is more!

Will do. I'm torn. Feels like I'm definitely in the wind, but it doesn't feel like I'm fighting it. Doesn't feel like I'm "hangin' on" at higher speeds. Just feels like more wind and stable. I can hear a podcast too... but that's not to say it's quiet.

All I can compare it to on the ncx is the stock screen alone. For the most part, I think the stock screen does an admirable job... but at highway speeds it feels like more of a workout. So far, with the LL it just feels like wind and some sound of wind, but not like an unstable workout.

One place has that Puig now for not much more money. I can't decide. Will likely give it another couple of weeks before I decide if I'm definitely keeping it.

I'm still not sure what to make of the Laminar Lip. Initially, I attached it as high as the dual lock fasteners already on it would allow. I was mostly satisfied with the performance, but decided to pull it off and try it a bit lower since the manufacturer thought I might be at the upper limit of getting any "venturi effect".

What I learned is the 3M dual locks are nearly impossible to get apart. Ended up having to tear the whole thing off by the adhesive and start over. The good thing is that I now completely trust the stickiness of the dual lock fasteners but I'm not thrilled that I had to waste the fasteners in order to remove it. Since there weren't enough extras included, I bought some 3M dual lock fasteners at the auto parts store. Turns out they aren't as aggressive as the variety the manufacturer uses and sells and don't trust them as much. The manufacturer is sending me more of the aggressive dual lock disks.

In the process of all this, I ended up riding around town for the afternoon without the laminar lip attached and can say that it absolutely makes an improved difference. The difference being that without the Lip, the air is erratic and there's more wind noise. I feel more like I'm fighting chaotic wind at highway speed and could barely hear the podcast I was listening to via earbuds. After I reinstalled the Lip about an inch lower, I didn't feel like the effect was as good as when it was higher.

So, the Laminar lip is not really for additional wind protection. What it does though, is make the wind hitting you much cleaner, less turbulence, and quieter. When I road in the rain with it, although it feels like I'm getting plenty of wind, it didn't really feel like the rain was soaking me as much as I thought it would. I've decided to keep the Laminar Lip for the summer but I'll be replacing the 3M dual locks with the better ones the manufacturer supplies, and mounting it back up a bit higher I think.

If it's not meeting my expectations over the summer, I might consider something bigger like the Cee Baileys, Calsi, or Puig... but for now, I'm going to stick with the Laminar Lip.

Back