• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Waffling - Used V-Strom 650 vs. New NC700X

I'll echo many of the sentiments here re: the Vstrom. I've owned two and really enjoyed them for their versatility, ergonomics (for me), great engine and aftermarket options. However, I'm getting tired off the top heaviness and how you have to constantly work the gears to get performance out of it. I'm trading my '15 Strom for a new '17 DCT in anticipation of the low-keyed engine, low center of gravity and a ride that suits my character better (I think) LOL

Baja...you sound familiar...from the Nighthawk forum?

That's me! Hi, drdubb -- long time, no see. Glad to hear you're still riding. My bro still has his NH and is active over on the NH forum.

I remember you talking about how the NH and the DR650 was the perfect 2-bike set-up. Sounds like you found 'the one bike to rule them all'. :)

Bajakirch, how about this one? Looks like someone did most of the work setting this one up. 2012 *Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure* (BLACK)

I was actually watching that one as a possibility. There was one down in Monroe (about an hour south of me) equally well-farkled for $5k and one up in the UP with even more goodies for around $5800. The Yooper was probably the leading candidate, but he wouldn't budge off his $5800 asking price.

After more soul-searching over the last week, I made my choice. I decided getting a kitted-out bike would be better for me than a new bike that I'd have to spend another $1000 or more to set up for my kind of riding. I'm still super-interested in the NC700X but I couldn't find any in close proximity to me that were set up with all the gotta-haves I was looking for, at a price I was willing to pay.

I was further waffling (see a pattern here?) between the Monroe and the Milwaukee bikes, but was leaning towards the one in Monroe, because it was cheaper and closer to me. But I decided to do one last pass through craigslist, searching out a littler further than I normally do. And, lo and behold, I found a 2012 V-Strom DL650A set up with all the stuff I really wanted located about 3 hours away. Price was $5200 I made contact with the seller and we hit it off. I asked one of my test questions: "Do you have any maintenance records you can send me?"; he emailed me meticulous records within the hour. That's the kind of guy I want to buy from. So I wired him something to hold the bike for me, and I'm driving down this Saturday to give it a once-over. If all appears as it seems, I'll be bringing her home.

Even so, I really appreciate the advice and input here. Honestly, I was surprised -- normally a bike-specific forum like this is going to be pretty biased to the common ride. It was refreshing to get opinions both ways. Exactly what I'm looking for when I post these sorts of questions.

I may have decided not to get a NC700X (for now), but that doesn't mean I won't be back to the forum.

I just joined the forum. This is my delema also. Although I come from a different direction. last year i bought a CTX700 DCT. Rode it most of the summer. Loved it! Loved the DCT and how easy the bike was to ride. Then In Sept I went brain dead and bought a new HD Road King M8! Beautiful bike, But the thing was a beast. Most of my riding is on back coutry roads here in New England. Almost none on highways. I really began to dread moving the bike around. This spring I bit the bullet and sold the HD (don't ask how much i lost...). So now I am back to sanity and looking for a new ride. i did my usual and build a spreadsheet to get some semi objective values. I weighted the values based on my needs and wants. Weight and price being high priorities and engine performance being low. Low and behold look what dropped out! I need to get a couple of test rides in on the Strom and the Kawi. Although that Ducati looks real sweet in red....
Screenshot.jpgScreenshot001.jpg

That's me! Hi, drdubb -- long time, no see. Glad to hear you're still riding. My bro still has his NH and is active over on the NH forum.

I remember you talking about how the NH and the DR650 was the perfect 2-bike set-up. Sounds like you found 'the one bike to rule them all'. :)

I was actually watching that one as a possibility. There was one down in Monroe (about an hour south of me) equally well-farkled for $5k and one up in the UP with even more goodies for around $5800. The Yooper was probably the leading candidate, but he wouldn't budge off his $5800 asking price.

After more soul-searching over the last week, I made my choice. I decided getting a kitted-out bike would be better for me than a new bike that I'd have to spend another $1000 or more to set up for my kind of riding. I'm still super-interested in the NC700X but I couldn't find any in close proximity to me that were set up with all the gotta-haves I was looking for, at a price I was willing to pay.

I was further waffling (see a pattern here?) between the Monroe and the Milwaukee bikes, but was leaning towards the one in Monroe, because it was cheaper and closer to me. But I decided to do one last pass through craigslist, searching out a littler further than I normally do. And, lo and behold, I found a 2012 V-Strom DL650A set up with all the stuff I really wanted located about 3 hours away. Price was $5200 I made contact with the seller and we hit it off. I asked one of my test questions: "Do you have any maintenance records you can send me?"; he emailed me meticulous records within the hour. That's the kind of guy I want to buy from. So I wired him something to hold the bike for me, and I'm driving down this Saturday to give it a once-over. If all appears as it seems, I'll be bringing her home.

Even so, I really appreciate the advice and input here. Honestly, I was surprised -- normally a bike-specific forum like this is going to be pretty biased to the common ride. It was refreshing to get opinions both ways. Exactly what I'm looking for when I post these sorts of questions.

I may have decided not to get a NC700X (for now), but that doesn't mean I won't be back to the forum.

Congrats on the new bike. I would have probably made the same call as you will easily spend 2-3k on upgrades on any new bike depending on how bad your farkle disease is. A kitted out Wee is a substantial savings.

I just joined the forum. This is my delema also. Although I come from a different direction. last year i bought a CTX700 DCT. Rode it most of the summer. Loved it! Loved the DCT and how easy the bike was to ride. Then In Sept I went brain dead and bought a new HD Road King M8! Beautiful bike, But the thing was a beast. Most of my riding is on back coutry roads here in New England. Almost none on highways. I really began to dread moving the bike around. This spring I bit the bullet and sold the HD (don't ask how much i lost...). So now I am back to sanity and looking for a new ride. i did my usual and build a spreadsheet to get some semi objective values. I weighted the values based on my needs and wants. Weight and price being high priorities and engine performance being low. Low and behold look what dropped out! I need to get a couple of test rides in on the Strom and the Kawi. Although that Ducati looks real sweet in red....
View attachment 33629View attachment 33630

If you can find one of these bikes lightly used already setup with the farkles you want then you can probably save yourself a lot of money. I wouldn't drive yourself crazy analyzing it, go shopping and see what turns up in your searches. That may help you boil your list down unless you really want a new bike that you can build it out the way you want.

Something i always find funny in these threads are the complaints about no passing power. Short of a drag race at wide open throttle in top gear, I've never found the NC to be lacking in power. Sure, there are faster bikes out there but, if you're riding or looking at an NC, I doubt that is really a major factor for you. I've owned some of those faster bikes (SV650, FZ6, VStrom 650, VStrom 1000) and don't miss the extra power. I can cruise along at 80 and still be able to to overtake other vehicles. To blow by them in a few seconds would take me up to 90mph+. Maybe I'm getting older (wiser?) but I don't feel like that is a necessary requirement for my bikes. Thankfully, no one has tried to make the arguement of needing the extra power to "accelerate out of a bad situation". I've never seen any situation where additional power beyond what is available on the NC would have changed the outcome for the better. Motorcyclists tend to accelerate INTO trouble rather than out of it. One big difference I do remember from my VStrom 650 was that, at highway speeds, I was constantly trying to shift into 7th gear. Quite the opposite on the NC. Several times, I've been cruising along in 5th for an unknown amount of time before realizing I still had another gear to go. The addition of the built in storage in the frunk is what really sets the NC apart for me. Love not having to deal with the extra width of saddlebags, which I've needed on every other bike I've owned. For around town, I believe either of your top three picks will be a good choice, and the decision will really come down to personal preference of the engine characteristics. For long distances or interstates, I prefer the lower revving, smoother feel of the NC. If you plan to seriously load the bike down with gear, For weekend trips, camping, etc, I'd go with the VStrom. The large passenger seat area and factory rear rack, along with the fact that the gas tank isn't under the seat where all your stuff will be located, will really come in handy.

Lack of highway passing in 3-4 seconds will (may) irritate you. Now there is no passing really. Just drop back farther from the rock truck and try to enjoy the ride.
Honestly, if I rode more or longer distances I would get another Concourse. I am 6'4" and 220. NC is "small".

Best of luck.

PS. I don't think leaving out ABS is an option in these here modern times.

I don't have any problems passing on the highway - I just thumb it down a gear or two and it moves right along. I did read somewhere that losing 7 pounds of weight is the equivalent of gaining one horsepower - I am 6' and 150 so I guess I have 10 more horsepower than you!:)

Agree completely about ABS.

Convict said it well above. I have ridden plenty of very powerful bikes but I still find the NC has enough power for me. Sure, it's fun to have even more acceleration but it is still quicker than most cars out there and the DCT allows for really rapid take-offs. My Zero probably accelerates almost twice as fast as the NC but frankly, I almost never pin it as it is simply not necessary and I break the speed lmit too quickly. I can and do pin the NC a lot and I often think I enjoy it more than the Zero.

Back