• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vogel State Park in Georgia camping?

Flaferalcat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks!
Well Autumn is here is my sour puss wife is tired of looking at me and wants me gone for some Gal time for her, which is fine with me. I'm wanting to take my NCX out this time. I haven't been to the Georgia 6-Gap roads, or the Snake in Tennessee and on the map Vogel State park in between them looks like a place to maybe camp out for a day or two. Anyone from that area, or who's been to that area got any advice on attractions and where to's? I'm looking at leaving...well, the way she's carrying on maybe Sunday! :D I'm looking to be gone for a few days....or more! lol

I was there last weekend with 15 friends renting cabins. I have camped there once. Good state park but I strongly recommend looking 11 miles west to Two Wheels of Suches if you will be on a motorcycle. Great campground with good facilities. Meals available on weekends. Lots of other motorcyclists around to fellowship with. They also have some A frame cabins at a fair price with two twin beds and they supply towels to use in bath house if you rent a cabin. TWo camping I believe is also cheaper than the state park.
Two Wheels of Suches | Motorcycle Campground & Lodge in Suches, Georgia

[video=youtube;0l0gVmJ2BwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0gVmJ2BwQ[/video]

[video=youtube;u4ExxGzwE_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ExxGzwE_o[/video]

A great 36 mile circle is to do the Cooler Run. Take a right turn out of TWo parking lot, left turn on 19 at stop sign, left turn on 129 at stop sign, (5 miles riding up to top of blood mountain is my favorite piece of road anywhere to ride a motorcycle) then left turn on to 180 just past Vogel park entrance and back to Suches. 180 from Vogel park going west is known as the Georgia Dragon. This loop is best done with left turns.

Also make sure to ride Richard Russell scenic byway.

The Gauntlet is another loop advertised in the area. Free maps of it are readily available including on line.

Best source of good paved roads in the area is to buy the North Georgia map from America Rides Maps.

There is a lot of good fire road type riding around the area but you need someone else to guide you on them.

You really can't go wrong with any of the roads around that part of the country. I second Richard Russell. I think that's otherwise known as GA 348 and isn't far from the park. If you're riding in the area of Clayton, the Foxfire Museum is a great place to learn about some Appalachian culture. The Smith House in Dahlonega is a great place to eat a family-style meal. The Cottage House in Cleveland is a decent meat and three kind of place. If it's lunchtime on Friday and you're hankering for something a little south of the border, La Texanita in Cornelia is a great place for some truly authentic Mexican food. Take cash for that one and it wouldn't hurt to brush up on your first semester Spanish. Bottom line is that there are great roads, great attractions, and great restaurants all over the area. Let us know when you'll be around. You might get a riding buddy or two depending on when you're here.

I've got a group of 5 or 6 meeting at Willville campground in Va. Oct. 8, 9, 10, 11. Snake is I,mthe itinerary

Thanks everyone! I'll start working those routes into google maps, and then I can read them on my high tech wonder "Velcro the cell the phone to the handle bar bolts Navi tool!"
I'll look up the other places as well.
I'm taking my Vic for an inspection on Monday. I think I'm open after that....until the 5-6th of Oct when I have pre-engaged plans, then I'm free again. So I'll work it out. I'd like to meet some of you all if I'm able. I'd like to see some autumn color as well, and maybe not so many mosquitos as this time last year? Wishful thinking?
Thanks again! :)

Last edited:
BEWARE! Six Gap Ride Sunday... Beware

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The loop will be overrun with bicycles, find elsewhere to play

BEWARE! Six Gap Ride Sunday... Beware

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The loop will be overrun with bicycles, find elsewhere to play
Very good caution. Wolf Pen Gap won't even be open to motorized vehicles part of the day. 3 of the gaps are the cooler run. Richard Russell is another.

Well, as of today, this trip and all other trips with my NCX are CANCELLED!
I'll be taking my Vic. if I go. The way things are going with the NCX, as soon as I get put back together- It may be in the sales thread.
Thanks for the info everyone!

Back