• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Valve train noise with 250 miles on bike?

Gusable

Reaction score
Visit site
2014 ncx 6 speed. 250 miles I've got what seems like valvetrain noise tick tick tick are these engines noisy? I've had mechanical lifters before it doesn't sound like a really bad clearance issue but more like " these engines are all noisy". I'd like to pull the radiator and check the valves but I've only got 250 Miles and I hate to do that prematurely. I still am under warranty and I can take it in but I'm just curious has anyone else thought that too?

I think they are mechanically noisy engines. It is a busier (but not louder) clatter than even my old BMW airheads. If you are worried, a dealer trip to check it out would not be out of order. There has been the odd cam chain issue reported on here.

Tappy valves are happy valves. The NC engine makes a fair amount of mechanical noise. If it wasn't making noise I would be concerned.

In the 600 mile break in period you will hear all kinds of new noises. However, soon these noises will sound normal. You will hear the brake pads against the rotors, as you are not insulated from these sounds like in your auto.

In the 600 mile break in period you will hear all kinds of new noises. However, soon these noises will sound normal. You will hear the brake pads against the rotors, as you are not insulated from these sounds like in your auto.
yep! don't forget the clutch basket(?) noise :)

Is the clutch noise normal? I hear a change with clutch in verses out.. I thought it as the " throw out bearing"

Yep that is normal. The way the clutch plates and basket vibrate is different since the pressures on them are different with clutch in/out. On cold mornings my clutch also makes a different noise and can feel a little stiff until I've changed gears a few times. I'm also stiff on cold mornings until I've moved around a bit so the bike and I match.

AS OCR said, on a bike you hear all the different noises since you aren't insulated from them like in a car.

another quote from OCR,which did make my paranoid life a bit easier-ride,just ride. hell with all those noises,vibrations.. specially-when on warranty.

I always wear ear plugs for hearing protection when I ride. I have no clue what the engine sounds like or should sound like. After 21,000 miles it's still running so I guess it doesn't matter what noises it makes.

Just follow the maintenance schedule and ride. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
I took mine back to the dealer within the first 200 miles (24 hours) of ownership to have them check my valves. They discovered 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve out of spec. I'm glad I took it in. It still makes more noise than my previous bike (a BMW K1100LT) but far less than the clatter prior to the adjustment.

I took mine back to the dealer within the first 200 miles (24 hours) of ownership to have them check my valves. They discovered 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve out of spec. I'm glad I took it in. It still makes more noise than my previous bike (a BMW K1100LT) but far less than the clatter prior to the adjustment.

I'm curious. Since valve adjustment is normal maintenance, did Honda consider this early valve adjustment to be a valid warranty claim, did the dealer eat the cost, or did you have to pay for the service?

I'm curious. Since valve adjustment is normal maintenance, did Honda consider this early valve adjustment to be a valid warranty claim, did the dealer eat the cost, or did you have to pay for the service?

They treated it as a warranty claim. I think they knew they were on pretty shaky ground at that point. They dorked up pretty much everything that *could* be dorked up during the purchase process and I was already not what anyone would call a happy customer. At that point I think they sensed they were very close to giving me my money back and having a slightly used bike to re-sell.

Little did they know that I had already ordered (within the first 24 hours of ownership) $1500 worth of bags and accessories and I otherwise REALLY liked the bike! :)

Edit:

Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm betting the dealership just ate the cost of the adjustment. I remember now that they were just going to send me out the door with no documentation. I don't think this would have been possible if they were treating it as a warranty claim. I insisted that I receive some sort of receipt to document the fact that the valves were out of spec and that adjustments were made. At that point, I wanted to preserve my options in case things got worse or in case the engine failed before it should. Probably overly paranoid on my part, but that's just the way I'm wired sometimes.

Last edited:
My bikes' engine AND exhaust are very quiet. I'm a little confused with those saying their engines are noisy. By noise, it may be valve lifters?

Now my Motus IS noisy........but in a good way, perhaps. It certainly has more character than the NC.

My bikes' engine AND exhaust are very quiet. I'm a little confused with those saying their engines are noisy. By noise, it may be valve lifters?

Now my Motus IS noisy........but in a good way, perhaps. It certainly has more character than the NC.

The three most distinctive noises are the clutch rattle, the valve gear (tappet) noise and the occasional whistle or metallic sound from the air filter intake under full throttle. Mine was quite noisy around the head at first but became quieter with mileage. It eventually got too quiet for my liking and that was when I checked the valve clearances to find some of the exhaust clearances to be a little on the tight side, but not excessively so. I would not worry unduly about valve noise unless it is excessive.

On talks with my dealer ,the `what I thought was tappet noise` was injectors snapping shut (they said) Anyway at 47000 miles either I am more deaf or its lots smoother and quieter. Just a snapped clutch cable at the bottom end the other week after a 400 mile ride...400yards from destination ...pretty good news as no breakdown cover !

Back