• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Valve check at 4,000 miles???

Jelly

Reaction score
Visit site
Although this is not in the service schedule (to my knowledge) when I had the first service my dealer said they want to see it agian at 4k miles for a valve check and possible adjustment.

I don't know whether it's because it's a 750 or because my dealer is thorough? I suspect the latter.

Anyone else been told this? Or am I wrong and it is part of Hondas service schedule?

On a side note, I was chatting to a CB500X owner and he said that his first service cost him £250! Because the dealer said that because the bike is made in India (I think) that they check the valves at the first service!

Although this is not in the service schedule (to my knowledge) when I had the first service my dealer said they want to see it agian at 4k miles for a valve check and possible adjustment.

I don't know whether it's because it's a 750 or because my dealer is thorough? I suspect the latter.

Anyone else been told this? Or am I wrong and it is part of Hondas service schedule?

On a side note, I was chatting to a CB500X owner and he said that his first service cost him £250! Because the dealer said that because the bike is made in India (I think) that they check the valves at the first service!

I believe the dealer is misinformed or fibbing, I would be positive the 750's are the same as the 700's first check at 8,000. Possible to be different? Sure, but I won't believe it until I see it in writing in Honda's own books, lol.

AFAIK, the 500's valve lash set up, which is shim under bucket and totally different from our NC's, has much longer periods between checks, and they (Honda) chose to do the first check early, because it would then be a long time before back in to the shop for a check again. The 500's are made in Thailand, just like my wonderful bulletproof CBR125R and the very successful and very reliable CBR250R's.

If the Dealer said that (India manufacture and a need for early valve check malarkey) then I wouldn't trust their other information further than I could throw them...

Any further follow up Jelly?

In the other thread in this section, it is stated there might be a 16,000 mile valve adjust schedule for the 750. If this is really the case, then heck, maybe it's possible Big Red did change the initial inspection to an earlier mileage, and then I would be eating a healthy plate of Crow*.

*I can only assume Crow must taste really bad, if it's always used as the example of threatened epicurean punishment for various misdeeds, lol.

It's confusing. In another 750X thread an owner said it was 14,000 KM. If so that's probably no change from the current 8,000 MILES.

I can guarantee if they retain the screw-type adjustment for the 750, it will not be a 12000+ mile adjustment interval. The benefit to screw-type is that they're easy to do, negative of them is they move out of adjustment faster than other methods.

Personally, on a bike like this (low strung, minimal power), I'd be SHOCKED if Honda went with shim under bucket - it really doesn't need it.

The 500, 125, 250? Absolutely, theyre faster revving smaller motors that need to make more power per litre to make up for the displacement size (usually via higher Rpms). But the 750? Nope.

So with that said, I'm confident it will remain at 8000 miles like the 700.

I think it must just be my dealer (Kent Motorcycles) who are applying belt and braces.

They've been very thorough so far in relation to customer care etc.

I don't mind paying for a 4k mile valve check, this bike is a long term keeper for me so I'd like it to be looked after as much as possible.

I can guarantee if they retain the screw-type adjustment for the 750, it will not be a 12000+ mile adjustment interval. The benefit to screw-type is that they're easy to do, negative of them is they move out of adjustment faster than other methods.

Personally, on a bike like this (low strung, minimal power), I'd be SHOCKED if Honda went with shim under bucket - it really doesn't need it.

The 500, 125, 250? Absolutely, theyre faster revving smaller motors that need to make more power per litre to make up for the displacement size (usually via higher Rpms). But the 750? Nope.

So with that said, I'm confident it will remain at 8000 miles like the 700.

There seems to be no hard, fast rules on valve train design choice per engine type and max RPM. It's not always that high RPM demands shims. High RPM and power per liter can have screws. Low RPM, low power per liter might have shims. But screw/locknuts usually do have much shorter check intervals.

Example:
GL1800, 6,000 RPM redline has shim adjustment, 32,000 mile interval.
'88-'07 Ninja 250, 13,000 RPM redline has screw/locknut, 6000 mile interval.

Do you mean ALL the jobs at 8k and 24k?

Sorry, you don't have to labouriously transcribe everything out lol :D

Implied: If our NC700X books list a valve inspection at 8,000 km's, it will also list one at 16,000 km's.

Conversely, ours will mention 24,000 km's, but yours (should) only list them at 32,000 (and so on) so I was wondering what the other valve mentions are in your book besides the 16,000 you listed.

Plainer: Does your book only say: 16,000/32,000/40,000 for valves, (and so on) or is there any listing at 24,000?

Sorry, you don't have to labouriously transcribe everything out lol :D

Implied: If our NC700X books list a valve inspection at 8,000 km's, it will also list one at 16,000 km's.

Conversely, ours will mention 24,000 km's, but yours (should) only list them at 32,000 (and so on) so I was wondering what the other valve mentions are in your book besides the 16,000 you listed.

Plainer: Does your book only say: 16,000/32,000/40,000 for valves, (and so on) or is there any listing at 24,000?

Hi, apologies for the delay - time difference!

In the 750 book, the valves are at 16k miles then 32k miles - obviously continuing at 16 k thereafter.

I don't know whether it's because it's a 750 or because my dealer is thorough? I suspect the latter...

...In the 750 book, the valves are at 16k miles then 32k miles - obviously continuing at 16 k thereafter.

I think the dealer is making a play on your conscience or desire to have a "perfect" running bike. One of the things that people buy a Honda for, is to have the Honda reliability. In this case, it appears the dealer has no faith in that Honda reliability...or he wants your money for an addition to his house or a new boat. ;)

The dealer is telling you to check the valves four times more often than the people who designed the engine recommend. "Follow the money." The engineer has no financial stake in this, but Honda does have a warranty to uphold if there's a failure. The dealer on the other hand, increases his profits four-fold with you bringing the bike in every 4000 miles to get the valves checked.

I'm not saying your dealer is a crook. A crook would not only have you bring the bike in that often, but would pocket the money without even doing the work. You'd never know unless you watched them do the job. Some have been known to do this. ;)

Chris

Hi, apologies for the delay - time difference!

In the 750 book, the valves are at 16k miles then 32k miles - obviously continuing at 16 k thereafter.

Cool! Thanks for checking for me :D

16,000 miles for screw and locknut valves is sweet!

My dealer isn't saying have them checked Every 4k, but at the first 4k as a one off inspection, a pre inspection to the 8k check I guess.

750 valve checks are at 16000 miles - that's what my handbook says.
Interesting - For the NC750 SA sold in Australia, the handbook AND the Factory Workshop manual clearly show a Valve Check every 16,000 miles and a spark plug replacement at every 32,000 miles BUT the same factory workshop manual specifies, for the NC 700 a valve check every 8,000 miles. And yes it is still a screw/locknut setup

My dealer isn't saying have them checked Every 4k, but at the first 4k as a one off inspection, a pre inspection to the 8k check I guess.

No - the book says 16000 miles! If your dealer wants to do it gratis, then fine.

But, FFS don't pay for something that's not required.

Back