• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Valve Check/Adjustment Question

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope this is not a stupid question. I cannot locate my feeler gauges and I am going to check my valves this weekend so I need to buy a set. I've never done that on this bike before. Is there a type of gauge that is better than the other for this job on the NC? For example, wire, flat, offset, etc. I plan on dropping the radiator to make it easier. Any other tips or advice? I just don't want to have to run back out as I am doing this in my buddy's garage.

My preference for the NC engine valve clearance check is the bent feeler gauge set. I have both flat and bent, but I seem to access the space better with the bent ones on the NC. It’s a matter of personal preference.

F46398A5-AAD1-45B2-B523-A977C2051A2D.jpeg

I also prefer the bent feeler gauges. I've checked a few times, and bought a bent set for the second time I checked them on the bike. Straight-flat will work fine, but the gauges themselves will be flexed noticeably. Truth be told, a straight set I bend myself would probably be my most-preferred strategy.

Also: Prepare for the valves to need little (or no) adjustment.
(-:

I also prefer the bent feeler gauges. I've checked a few times, and bought a bent set for the second time I checked them on the bike. Straight-flat will work fine, but the gauges themselves will be flexed noticeably. Truth be told, a straight set I bend myself would probably be my most-preferred strategy.

Also: Prepare for the valves to need little (or no) adjustment.
(-:
Thank you very much. I agree they will likely be just fine. But during Hurricane Ian my generator threw a rod forcing me to go out and pick up a new generator (that I am now selling as the damaged generator was replaced under warranty). So of course now i think I'm hearing valve noise on every one of my vehicles and small engines.

I sent you a PM. I'm in Naples, and have done a few valve adjustments. Will lend another set of eyes if you like.
Sent a PM back as well! Thank you! Wrench in the works as Partzilla was supposed to deliver the valve cover gasket today but is is delayed.

Sent a PM back as well! Thank you! Wrench in the works as Partzilla was supposed to deliver the valve cover gasket today but is is delayed.
The NC’s head cover gasket is reusable. I guess it can’t hurt to have a spare on hand, but I still have my original gasket in place at 62,000 miles after multiple valve checks. There are no oil leaks.

Speaking of the head cover, do use a torque wrench when tightening the head cover bolts. Other members have snapped them off, and then ordered and waited for a new bolt to arrive (in one case two bolts ???).

The NC’s head cover gasket is reusable. I guess it can’t hurt to have a spare on hand, but I still have my original gasket in place at 62,000 miles after multiple valve checks. There are no oil leaks.

Speaking of the head cover, do use a torque wrench when tightening the head cover bolts. Other members have snapped them off, and then ordered and waited for a new bolt to arrive (in one case two bolts ???).
Thanks Greg. I figured it was reusable but the manual emphasizes replacing it (page 10 7). For the 26 bucks, it is not worth the worry to me. On that note, so stupid of me regarding the feeler gauges. I just got flat and offset, stainless, for 24 bucks. Penny wise and pound foolish sometimes I guess. I always do respect the torque recommended by the manufacturer. I’ve broken a few bolts in my time as I am not known for having a soft touch. Good advice on all counts and appreciated.

I’m traveling this morning with no service manual access but does it not recommend replacing the seals in the valve cover where the cover retaining bolts pass? These compress over time and allow the shouldered retaining bolts to bottom out against the cylinder head and snap off with little effort. The gasket installed dry will last many valve checks but these seals or packings do not.

I’m traveling this morning with no service manual access but does it not recommend replacing the seals in the valve cover where the cover retaining bolts pass? These compress over time and allow the shouldered retaining bolts to bottom out against the cylinder head and snap off with little effort. The gasket installed dry will last many valve checks but these seals or packings do not.
Inspect and replace if necessary is what it says on 10-8. But as long as we are on the topic, and I do not know if this needs to be said, but the mounting rubbers have an up and down position which has to be respected on reinstallation.

The way I see it, if the oil doesn’t leak out, the seals are adequate. If the bolts bottom out because of seal compression, I still won’t snap the bolts off if I follow the torque spec.

The way I see it, if the oil doesn’t leak out, the seals are adequate. If the bolts bottom out because of seal compression, I still won’t snap the bolts off if I follow the torque spec.
You might not but it’s not uncommon for others less skllled or experienced to snap one off. The torque value is only 7 ft lbs on the NC and 9 ft lbs on the ST1300 IIRC and with a deformed packing seal the bolts don’t snug down in the normal manner. Instead of gradually coming up snug they suddenly go from turning freely to bottoming out metal-to-metal. With such low torque values it’s easy to over do it.

Yep, I snapped it .... Now it's going to be fun to remove it and find one to replace it. But I have a question about the cylinder head cover. Is this the normal color? I've seen YouTube videos, and they don't have this discolored.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_195222.jpg
    IMG_20230901_195222.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14
Concerning the breakage of the screws... in my opinion, the Allen key is one with the screw, it makes a long lever which breaks flush with the cylinder head. It is necessary to apply to the screw only rotation.
In picture ?
viscouvre.jpg

Back