• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

USB Wiring

ramsey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm really bad at asking questions or phrasing, but i'll try. I'm bilingual and that's a big challenge for survival in an chinese environment. Anyway, I bought my NC750X fresh out of a local dealer here. I'm a total utter goof with electronics, and need your advise on how to wire this unorthodox piece of usb cable which local mechanics are not comfortable attempting. I figured out it's time I get my hands dirty because I love my bike to the core!

I bought a unorthodox piece of USB cable here with a set of instructions here in chinese, the local mechanics says it's not right to wire it direct to the battery, and the wires are too thick.

I'm not sure what is the yellow connector supposed to connect to.

I wouldn't mind offering USD $5 to transfer to you for your help! Really desperate now. :(

Thank you!

Here's the instruction, i'll translate them accordingly,
aCdl6oT.jpg

Red Connector - Battery Positive
Blue Connector - Battery Negative
Yellow Connector - ACC Positive OR connect directly with Red Connector on Battery Positive

1. The benefits of using yellow connector to ACC switch gives your USB the energy whenever you start your engine, and turns off when your engines goes off. This prevents the energy from being drained from the battery, the cons is that you have to bring it to wire it the right way (or you can bring it to your mechanic for installation), suggest you bring to mechanics to save you all the hassle.
2. If you connect it to Red Positive, it's straightforward, you can use it immediately. The benefits are that it is easy to install, no need to "break switches". Cons is that prolong installation will deplete the battery at roughly 0.3W~, under normal circumstances it will drain the battery in under 20 days. Under this method, you should remove the yellow connector if you're not using the bike for prolong periods - this will terminate battery from draining, and it's simple.

Here's how the whole set looks,
W6g7pX4.jpg

MBrK68h.jpg

Please kindly advise! Thank you ;)

I can't tell for sure from the photos but I believe I see the reason the local mechanic didn't want to connect to the battery. It looks like there is no fuse built into the assembly. I recommend you wire a fuse in-line when you install it.

Other than the fuse, the install should be straight forward. Red wire to the positive terminal, blue to the negative terminal, and yellow to a circuit that is switched positive with ignition. Someone else can suggest the best place to tap a switched positive. Please note, the yellow can be connected to the battery positive terminal as well but the USB will be powered on continuously.

Hi all,

I'm really bad at asking questions or phrasing, but i'll try. I'm bilingual and that's a big challenge for survival in an chinese environment. Anyway, I bought my NC750X fresh out of a local dealer here. I'm a total utter goof with electronics, and need your advise on how to wire this unorthodox piece of usb cable which local mechanics are not comfortable attempting. I figured out it's time I get my hands dirty because I love my bike to the core!

I bought a unorthodox piece of USB cable here with a set of instructions here in chinese, the local mechanics says it's not right to wire it direct to the battery, and the wires are too thick.

Your mechanic has his head in the right place, but not his heart. You can connect those wires directly to the battery, regardless of wire size. The "Yellow Wire" is the "Enable" that will turn on the unit when the ignition switch is turned on. I would recommend that you get the accessory wiring harness from Honda and connect your unit directly to it.

For the NC700X you would need these Honda Part Numbers, both 08A71-MSG-D30 (Sub-Harness) and 08A70-MSG-D30 (Relay Kit). I am not certian if these exact items are available for the NC750X. I'm think yes, however you should check with your local Honda Dealer for confirmation of this. If so, then you should order these items.

I hope that this gives you a better idea on which way to go with this.

Your mechanic has his head in the right place, but not his heart. You can connect those wires directly to the battery, regardless of wire size. The "Yellow Wire" is the "Enable" that will turn on the unit when the ignition switch is turned on. I would recommend that you get the accessory wiring harness from Honda and connect your unit directly to it.

For the NC700X you would need these Honda Part Numbers, both 08A71-MSG-D30 (Sub-Harness) and 08A70-MSG-D30 (Relay Kit). I am not certian if these exact items are available for the NC750X. I'm think yes, however you should check with your local Honda Dealer for confirmation of this. If so, then you should order these items.

I hope that this gives you a better idea on which way to go with this.

Agree with this.

This is just a basic loom, 12v DC in to 5v out connected to a USB socket. If you don't want to connect the yellow terminal to switched live you can always fit a basic on/off switch in line with the postie feed where you can flick it on and off if you are concerned about leaving a device connected with the engine off.

Back