• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

USA owners, where is your Charcoal Canister (AKA Vapor Recovery) located?

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm most curious.

Cliff notes:

Does any type of Emissions Vapor canister equipment take up space around where the fuel tank is? As a result; what's the most fuel you've squeezed into your tank? Have you ever run out of gas, and can you put in less/more than what's listed for actual tank volume? Is yours *really* 14 litres? (3.7 US Gal)

Preface: (long winded, but hang in there, lol)

I have a Canadian model BMW F800ST, and only discovered after owning it for a while, that there was a puzzling disparity between what I should be able to fill it up to, fuel volume-wise, and the reality of what I could actually put in it. Something just didn't add up.

BMW F800 S, ST, and R models everywhere outside of North America, do not have the US Emissions related equipment. (Neither do the F800GS models, but I will get to that later)

F800's have their fuel tanks located under the seat, same as the Honda NCX. BMW's usable fuel volume is officially listed as 16.0 litres. (4.23 US gal.)

Well, the US models have a differently shaped, and smaller fuel tank, due to the fact that they have to have a large Charcoal Canister added, for Emissions compliance. This canister is mounted behind and under the rear of the fake tank section, and to put it there, BMW had to scoop out a large hollow that is made up of fuel tank volume, for the rest of the world.

This change of tank removes roughly 2.5 litres of fuel capacity!

So US models only have a 13.5 litre tank (3.56 US Gal) not the 16 litre tank, that is listed in all the specs, all the manuals, all the BMW literature, and parroted by every single last Dealer on the planet. BMW denied that there were even two different tanks made! This is hilarious, because just looking at them, the two tanks are immediately obvious as large and small, and the small ones have US model molded into them, lol. (all the fuel tanks are plastic, and made by Acerbis, btw)

As it turns out, the Canuck models get stuck with the US tanks, even though we don't have the emissions components either! We are always told ours are the "Euro models" (with a few CDN specific lighting/reflector requirements added in)

The entire worldwide F800GS model tanks *are* 16 litres, because the frame is a trellis shape instead of an aluminum beam, so they have the canisters mounted in a way to avoid taking up fuel tank space.

So. Despite my F800 getting not bad mpg's (65 US mpg is fairly easy to get) having only 13.5 litre capacity when I was sold a 16 litre fuel tanked bike, pisses me off to no end. Amongst a host of other reasons, I am commited to trade my ST in on an NC700X.

My head would explode and exceptionally grim things would happen, if I bought the NCX, only to discover that Honda had done something similar, and stuffed in an Evaporative Emission canister in a stupid spot, taking up precious fuel tank volume, on the US (and CDN, Grrrr.) model bikes.

As it stands now, you NC owners, with a 14 litre listed tank size, (which I still think is way too small...) have a larger tank than I do, with a "16" litre tank. Auugh!

Thanks! :D

Back