• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Unsure about buying the NC750X, need advice.

Hi - I'm an expat Brit living in Central Mexico. I recently took delivery of my NC 750x DCT ABS and I am overjoyed with it. I also own a BMW F800R and obviously there is no comparison between the two bikes but for my planned touring needs in and around North and South America the NC is the bees knees. Sure, it doesn't have a great amount of horsepower but it makes up for that in low end torque at ridulously low revolutions. From a traffic light stop to 150 yards in automatic D mode it easily reaches 60 mph without too much throttle and climbs to 6th gear at around 2300 rpm. It also has enough power, particularly in Sport mode to get me out of trouble.

I can't see that the engine will overheat tremendously at such low revs and although I haven't put many miles on the bike yet after an hour riding it outside of town at running-in speeds not exceeding 3000 revs and in temperatures around 26 C it is definitely not running hot.

One other comment - this is my first automatic bike and for my needs which are a combination of commuter, long distance touring and some mild off road riding I am amazed at just how easy it is to ride this bike and how smooth the DCT box is. I definitely don't miss having a clutch lever and gear shifter!

Btw - I did consider buying an Africa Twin but to be honest the bike is taller, heavier and much more expensive to buy and kit out and I dont intend to go serious off roading. With a set of decent 50/50 tyres such as the Mitas E07 the NC will easily handle dirt roads, light gravel and some mud and water

Last edited:
Hi - I'm an expat Brit living in Central Mexico. I recently took delivery of my NC 750x DCT ABS and I am overjoyed with it. I also own a BMW F800R and obviously there is no comparison between the two bikes but for my planned touring needs in and around North and South America the NC is the bees knees. Sure, it doesn't have a great amount of horsepower but it makes up for that in low end torque at ridulously low revolutions. From a traffic light stop to 150 yards in automatic D mode it easily reaches 60 mph without too much throttle and climbs to 6th gear at around 2300 rpm. It also has enough power, particularly in Sport mode to get me out of trouble.

I can't see that the engine will overheat tremendously at such low revs and although I haven't put many miles on the bike yet after an hour riding it outside of town at running-in speeds not exceeding 3000 revs and in temperatures around 26 C it is definitely not running hot.

One other comment - this is my first automatic bike and for my needs which are a combination of commuter, long distance touring and some mild off road riding I am amazed at just how easy it is to ride this bike and how smooth the DCT box is. I definitely don't miss having a clutch lever and gear shifter!

Btw - I did consider buying an Africa Twin but to be honest the bike is taller, heavier and much more expensive to buy and kit out and I dont intend to go serious off roading. With a set of decent 50/50 tyres such as the Mitas E07 the NC will easily handle dirt roads, light gravel and some mud and water
Britmex - That's good to hear. I bought a new NC not too long ago, with clutch. I am getting ready to take a 2,300 mile trip in the next few days. WRT to the Africa Twin, are you aware that Honda has filed a patent for an 850. It is unknown at this time if it is the long-awaited baby Africa Twin, an upsized NC, or will the two bikes merge into one. In any event, glad you are enjoying it.

I enjoyed my NC for four years and eventually sold it. It is a great commuter. But I wish It had more power. NC with at least 70-80 bhp would be perfect. My Tiger has 96HP and my Striple has 106 and oh boy I really enjoy it. Way more fun. Other than that NC is an excellent machine that does everything but does not excell in anything.

I currently own a CRL250L Rally and an ST1300.
I too own an ST1300, and yes, I have one of the "hot" ones. Riding it in the heat and humidity of the sunny south ( i live near Atlanta) is pretty miserable. I have tried MANY "cures" for the heat problem, but none have helped. I did the "foil insulation" install, meticulously, ( no big difference, except between the seat and the tank), installed older Goldwing vents on the side cowls, ( not a huge difference), i even talked to the ST1300 Guru, Larry ( Igofar) and he gave me a list of things to try, which I did, to no avail. It remains one of my favorite bikes ever, and I love it in the spring and fall...just not in warm temps.

I bought my NC700X a few months ago, and it has been a real eye opener....How did they get so much gas mileage out of a 700CC engine? Yes, it seems like it is running on two cylinders all the time, but, after all, it IS running on two cylinders. It took a while for me to get used to the feeling that it was "missing" on a cylinder. The smoothness of the ST is just not there, but once you get past that, it's a great bike! I find myself riding a lot more than I used to, due to the mileage, and the ease of use. Sure, I miss the storage of the ST, but a rear topcase and Panniers help that. I take my wife into work on it often, and then take the long way home!

The PO of my bike did marginal work on it, and I am slowly correcting some mistakes he made, but overall, it is easy to work on ( especially the valve adjustment!) It's the first chain drive bike I have owned in 40 years, and that is a bit different, but not something that'll really make a huge difference in the long run, newer chains being so much better than what I was used to back in the day. I won't give up my ST, but the NC is sure nice to have as a second bike!

Congrats on your new ride- I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time!

Here too kicking the idea of a NC 750X DCT around.
On a 17 Tenere ES now....before that the ST1300....been on bikes since the early '70's high school.
6' 180lbs....not a hard core off-roader....but don't want to hesitate getting on a gravel road etc etc if it presents itself.
Have done 800+ mile days on the Tenere....but those long mile days are fewer and seems to be longer in between happening.
So....thinking of the 750X DCT to still enjoy the occasional long mile trips but mainly those 100-500 mile days which in reality occur most often.
And....becoming more interested in load/haul/unload/ride....since living in Central TX
Getting out to NM CO and such states....thru TX is a time consumer....mainly the coming back part all the way thru the state is the "bad" part.
Have conversed with 1 or 2 here on the site already.
So....a change over to the NC does not seem to be a big shock from what I am gathering.
Plus the weight decrease....seems like the NC has been a +++ experience.
As I told the several that I've talked with....I am open to all input/advice from those that "know" what we go thru considering a bike change.
Thank You in advance for any that share their 2 cents worth...!!!
I'm open to used and new when I do.

Here too kicking the idea of a NC 750X DCT around.
On a 17 Tenere ES now....before that the ST1300....been on bikes since the early '70's high school.
6' 180lbs....not a hard core off-roader....but don't want to hesitate getting on a gravel road etc etc if it presents itself.
Have done 800+ mile days on the Tenere....but those long mile days are fewer and seems to be longer in between happening.
So....thinking of the 750X DCT to still enjoy the occasional long mile trips but mainly those 100-500 mile days which in reality occur most often.
And....becoming more interested in load/haul/unload/ride....since living in Central TX
Getting out to NM CO and such states....thru TX is a time consumer....mainly the coming back part all the way thru the state is the "bad" part.
Have conversed with 1 or 2 here on the site already.
So....a change over to the NC does not seem to be a big shock from what I am gathering.
Plus the weight decrease....seems like the NC has been a +++ experience.
As I told the several that I've talked with....I am open to all input/advice from those that "know" what we go thru considering a bike change.
Thank You in advance for any that share their 2 cents worth...!!!
I'm open to used and new when I do.
I don't have a DCT, but I have a 2020 NC750X and I like the bike very much. Just did 2,450 miles and the worst part of the trip was coming back from Mississippi, on I-20, once I got close to Dallas. What part of TX are you in?

I don't have a DCT, but I have a 2020 NC750X and I like the bike very much. Just did 2,450 miles and the worst part of the trip was coming back from Mississippi, on I-20, once I got close to Dallas. What part of TX are you in?

...down just north of Austin....in the Georgetown area.
Thank You for the reply....sounds like the NC should not disappoint.
Will be curious what Honda does on the 2021's....should come out with some info soon.
✅

I can't speak to the brawny 750 and it's low-50s HP rating, but the 700 with its 'ænemic' 48hp have gotten me in and out of trouble plenty of times. It can do the ton two-up, not that you should ever do that. Not that I would, either.

The NC700X has 51 hp, the NC750X has 54, according to what I've read. I believe, however, that there is a 47 or 48 hp version available in other countries outside the U.S.

In Europe engine output is commonly expressed in kilowatts. The NC700X was Honda's tiered license compliant offering in late 2011-2012 and so released with a restricted output version of 35 kW (46.9 hp) to meet A2 licensing requirements for riders restricted to bikes of 35 kW or less and a version with 38.1 kW (51 hp) for riders not restricted to 35kW. All North American market bikes had the full 51 hp. In 2013 the Honda 500s came to market and became the A2 compliant offering thus allowing the move to the 745cc engine with 54 hp.

I haven't found any concrete numbers besides A 2012 Cycle World test, but they dyno'd the US MT version and got this result:

View attachment 42516
Motorcycle Consumer News (RIP, the 2nd best magazine) dynoed 47.51. For several years magazines reported being unable to dyno DCT bikes but I asked my local dealer to query Honda about how the DCT demonstrator worked because at the 2016 Daytona Bike Week I saw the demonstrator was able to run a DCT NC700X through the gears while bolted down stationary. I 'rode' it myself at the Honda tent as did many other people at Bike Week. Authorized Honda dealers have proprietary software for diagnostic and service work and with the software one can defeat the ABS fault that prevents the transmission from shifting out of 1st gearif the front wheel speed is out of step with the rear wheel's speed. This dealer found out how to dyno a DCT bike and has a DynoJet dyno. My DCT bike placed on the dyno ran 46.8 hp. I posted the horsepower curve of my bike here on the forum at the time.

Last edited:
I'm a month or so into owning mine. For comparison, my last real bike was a BMW R1200RT-P (police).
The power in sport mode, from stoplight to stoplight, is just fine.
The only time I feel the bike is lacking power is if I am already on the freeway at 75mph and I open it up to accelerate (pass, whatever).
I'm sort of expecting it to go faster and it doesn't. I'm OK with that :)

Hi everyone,

I currently own a CRL250L Rally and an ST1300.

I am looking into purchasing a new or used motorcycle particularly NC750X/NC700X or 2012 Africa Twin to ride in the summer because the ST is terrible in Arizona heat. The ST engine gets quite hot for comfort, even during a 25 mile commute. I'm considering a new NC750X or a 2012 NC700X, both manual, to be my daily driver during the summer. The used 700 bike is 1/2 the cost of the 750 OTD.

I'm hesitant to buy the NC mainly due to the lack of power. I just don't want to buy something I can't test ride and feel miserable about it afterwards. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If I buy the NC I would most likely keep the ST for cold weather riding (winter in Arizona). If I buy the Africa Twin I would plan to get rid of the ST.

Thank you.
Thought I would throw my 2 cents in. The NC700 is the first bike I have ever owned. I weigh about 390 and am 6:1. Personally I do wish the NC had a little more power but I imagine that has a lot to do with my weight (I weigh nearly what the bike weighs!). That being said. I love the NC, it's got plenty of power to get in trouble and is great for commuting and inner city riding, which is where I spend a lot of my time. On the weekends I am usually hitting the back roads. I'd imagine with a lighter rider it would have no issues doing some canyon carving.

Back