• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Two up riding?

2 up comfort on the bike depends on who is riding. I'm 6'1 and slim. My daughter is 5"10 and slimish (she has hips and a butt whereas I have none). We fit pretty well. On occasion her toes hit my leg and she seems to entertain herself by knocking helmets. It is a shorter bike but not sport bike short. I did mount my topbox further back to give her more room. The passenger seat isn't all that comfortable for her but the stock seat wasn't comfortable for me either. Been saying I was going to get her a butt buddy but we haven't been able to ride together in a while.

I ride with my kids quite a bit. Upgrading the pillion was a big help but the bike handles fine. My kids are adult sized. No real problems though I have been in weather where had I a passenger, I would have pulled over and waited it out instead of pushing through.

Needs another rear seat to travel any real distance two up.

It sure does! That's why I installed the SHAD confort seat. What a difference!
208c3967254e013558ca7eb4d05fd698.jpg

41ecbb162de0d6d66edb52b8a820d54f.jpg

2up no probs here. Depends on what you are used or how much of a snob you choose to be.

A few will expect to travel on this
2c90a307c9b3a6286abbfd5e84d6a0c3.jpg

My wife wasn't confortable rinding the NC750X until I installed a SHAD top-case with a back-rest.
Now she even says yes for long trips. We can ride 2hours of highway before she asks to stop.

The DCT seems to be an advantage, as there is much less "helmet knocking" than on other bikes.

In my humble opinion it ALL depends on you and your passengers expectations
  1. We have the DCT. This makes a huge difference as shifting is smooth and also the ABS brakes are very sufficient
  2. Installed the top case and the saddlebags. This give my wife more security although we took the backrest off the top case to give a little more room. Also installed the Vstream touring windscreen and Barkbusters handguards; both for wind protection.
  3. Our previous ride was an ST1300 so we're already used to being 'snug'.
  4. We stop about every 90 minutes to sight see or just get off. So we're not looking for any Iron Butt competitions.
  5. We avoid highways and prefer State, County and best of all Township Roads. We have had the most fun on gravel/rough country lanes. We love Ohio Amish country with all it's winding lanes and such. My wife loves to stop at road sides stands and we load stuff in the saddlebags. The ST was very scary in those situations because of it weight and top heavy nature.
  6. Our speed is usually less than 60mph. I had an ST before and I've had my fill of speed and got it out of my system. I get the same thrill out of 50mph on the NC700 as I did at 80mph on the ST. To me those 30mph are lower risks.
  7. I'm not the most beefy and strong guy and I love the fact that the COG is down low and the overall weight of the bike is low. Makes parking lot experiences less exciting.
  8. We also enjoyed all the air blowing on us in the summer (ST was super hot!) and in the cooler weather we've been using our Warm-N-Safe heated gear with no problems.

So it all depends on your expectations. It's not a FJR1300, ST1300 or RT1200. It also isn't top heavy and tooooo powerful like those bikes. It's not a Goldwing or HD Ultra and it also doesn't weigh 900 lbs.

For me it's all about exploring small roads and small towns at a leisurely pace. For us the NC700X DCT is perfect, but then that's what works for us based on the points defined above. Of course anyone else's expectations might be different. We enjoy exploring small roads and small towns and small little restaurants. Often those have sub par roads and parking lots. That used to be big turn off with the ST.

BTW - total rider + passenger weight is 370 for the both of us. That's us totally dressed in our riding gear (Roadcrafter, Boots, Helmet - AGATT). We might add more weight depending on the things my wife buys at those roadside stands.

Last edited:
I've ridden pillion on my NC, just 10-15 miles a couple times (dropping my dad's BMW off at the shop). It's too cramped for me (5'10", quite leggy), and as others have said the seat is junk. Edit: My dad was impressed at its performance under our combined weight.

My wife and I love to ride this two-up for many miles at a time. Admittedly, we do have a gel seat she puts on the pillion seat, but it's worked pretty well for us. No power issues and we're not pushing the bike to its limits most of the time, so it's been nice.

My wife and I love to ride this two-up for many miles at a time. Admittedly, we do have a gel seat she puts on the pillion seat, but it's worked pretty well for us. No power issues and we're not pushing the bike to its limits most of the time, so it's been nice.

Which gel seat are you using for the pillion seat?

It's one of these. It has straps that slide over the rear seat easily and don't interfere with fueling or lifting the seat. When I had a Shadow 750, we used a big cushion that worked out nicely. That one was a Forever Comfy (As Seen on TV!) that was great while she sat on it, but tended to fall off if she was off the bike since it didn't have any way to connect to the seat.

I'm using the Speedmetal gel seat pad from cyclegear. I think I got the medium size and it is a bit bigger than the original pillion, which works out perfectly. I tried to post a link earlier, but it didn't work, so I assume I'm not yet trustworthy enough. ;-D

One of the reasons I chose to sell NC was the 2 up riding. There isn't enough room for the pillion and the seat is like a stool...
Powerwise I never had any problems.

Back