• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tutoro Oil chain oil alternative?

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I could not find a thread...

anyone use any other oil other then Tutoro oil?

their website seem to advise not use any other oil other then theirs due to corrosion or flow rate. any oil expert out there? is this just marketing?

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/pages/which-oil-should-i-use

am running out of their oil, hate having to order online for it. over $10 buck for just 500ml.

I use cheap motor oil, 10w40 or 10w30 or what ever I have laying around. I do have to adjust the flow rates each of the 4 seasons. Had the tutor for over 3 years and 34k miles. Put it on my nc700x at about 1,500 miles and now have over 36k on bike. Barely squeaked out getting 35k on original chain and sprockets. Front sprocket did only have 8 teeth on it when I changed it after riding cross country. I do run a higher than normal flow rate and have oil residue on chain guard, swing arm, left tail light but I don't care. I fill it up about every 1k to 2k miles. I ride all year round temperatures from 7F to 100F. Use to run single output tube but switched to dual tubes around 25k.

I know of one of the fellows on this from that catches the old engine oil when he changes engine oil. He uses the old 10/30 oil in his Tutoro Oiler. He is the fellow who convinced me to get a Tutoro, which came from England in just a few days. I have not used the Tutoro yet, as it will go on my new motorcycle.

I use some left over 30 weight synthetic oil. When it's gone I'll use whatever oil I've got handy. The only thing they say not to use is atf fluid.

I use cheap gear oil cut with 20% kerosene. I read it on the internet, so it must be true! The other options were 20w40 or Scott Oil.

When it's hot out, I use bar and chain oil, since I keep gallons of it around. Cooler temps get Marvel Mystery oil or whatever is handy.
I have around 13,000 miles on this chain with all season riding and it is in great condition.
I can certainly understand why Tutoro would want people to buy their oil $$$, but I have other things to spend my money on. Ymmv

I am told that chainsaw oil is similar to that supplied by Tutoro. I use gear oil or motor oil of varying viscosities depending on seasonal temperatures.

Back