• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Tusk panier mounts

arkyleo

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a BMW G310GS that came with "Tusk" side aluminum side boxes.. These are inexpensive boxes, are made well but not quick detachable. So my question is which brand of side racks would allow me to mount them on my 2018 750X so I could switch them from bike to bike. I do have the "Honda" rear rack already installed, but still have the original and could change it back if necessary. Thanks, Leo

What brand & style racks do you have on the G310?

Get the same brand for the NC

What brand & style racks do you have on the G310?

Get the same brand for the NC
I probably didn't phrase my inquiry correctly--anyway, bought the GS used and there are no markings on the racks. When I do a search on possible mounts on "Zilla" or "Amazon"--they come up "does not fit your bike" Some require their tail mount that has additional points for the side racks. My birthday is coming up and guess what I always buy myself---Motorcycle parts! I will try a chat with the Revzilla online geeks next week and see what they know (and post back here)

Sounds like a plan to contact Revzilla

Maybe take the boxes off and shoot some photos of the racks too? Someone might be able to identify them.

try contacting Rocky Mountain ATV/MC as well -- they sell the Tusk panniers and racks. They don't list anything for the 750x, but they may be able to offer some advice:

After a little research, I think these panier racks from SW Motech would work for me. The surface is flat so I can mount my el cheapo Tusk's from the other bike---or even add panier specific adaptors for a different set if I get tired of unbolting the Tusks. Christmas shipping is somewhat delayed (and my M card is somewhat loaded) so will get them later and report back on the fit and finish.
https://sw-motech.us/products/luggage/side+carrier/PRO+side+carrier/4052572181027.htm

After a little research, I think these panier racks from SW Motech would work for me. The surface is flat so I can mount my el cheapo Tusk's from the other bike---or even add panier specific adaptors for a different set if I get tired of unbolting the Tusks. Christmas shipping is somewhat delayed (and my M card is somewhat loaded) so will get them later and report back on the fit and finish.
https://sw-motech.us/products/luggage/side+carrier/PRO+side+carrier/4052572181027.htm
What were you able to figure out? I just bought Tusk cases and plan to use the Motech Pro side carrier also because I already have the Motech street rack that work with the side carriers.

My question is: What is the simplest way to attach the cases to the side racks? If there is an adapter for one of the other brand cases available or do the cases just have to be bolted to the racks? Also wondering if racks can be removed from the bike with the cases still attached to the racks? It looks like this may be possible with the 1/4 turn quick disconnect racks.

Anybody else mate the Tusks with the Motech that can weigh in?

What were you able to figure out? I just bought Tusk cases and plan to use the Motech Pro side carrier also because I already have the Motech street rack that work with the side carriers.

My question is: What is the simplest way to attach the cases to the side racks? If there is an adapter for one of the other brand cases available or do the cases just have to be bolted to the racks? Also wondering if racks can be removed from the bike with the cases still attached to the racks? It looks like this may be possible with the 1/4 turn quick disconnect racks.

Anybody else mate the Tusks with the Motech that can weigh in?
They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. On my other bike (BMW G310) they bolt on with 3 bolts, so that is how I plan to attatch them to the SW racks. I have the Honda rear rack which may present a problem for the top SW mounting point. If so I will either fabricate something or ditch the Honda part and buy the topcase rack that goes with it and eliminates that under the seat bracket. Go to the SW PDF install and take a look.
Whatever I do, I will photo and post--also any pannier quick release adaptors will add width to the setup and they are already 36" wide on the GS.

They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. On my other bike (BMW G310) they bolt on with 3 bolts, so that is how I plan to attatch them to the SW racks. I have the Honda rear rack which may present a problem for the top SW mounting point. If so I will either fabricate something or ditch the Honda part and buy the topcase rack that goes with it and eliminates that under the seat bracket. Go to the SW PDF install and take a look.
Whatever I do, I will photo and post--also any pannier quick release adaptors will add width to the setup and they are already 36" wide on the GS.
One of the best features of the Pro Side Carriers in my opinion is the “quarter turn quick release” detach from the bike system. After watching the video on the SW site, it seems possible (even though not shown) to leave the cases attached to the racks and just use the quick release points where the rack mounts to the bike to remove the entire racks with the cases attached.

If that is the case, hard bolting the Tusk cases to the rack would seem to be the simplest way to go with no need to ever separate the rack from the cases.

I am going to call Motech tomorrow and see if they can set me straight.

I will more than likely just use the Tusks on the Honda as a road trip with 750cc beats the BMW screamer (but they were sort of free with the GS). Attatched is a photo of the Honda accessory top rack. The 2 pre formed holes are meant to mount a wire type tie down loop, but I may use them for the SW top mount--and yes the q/d twist locks will be very handy.

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_091328904.jpg
    IMG_20201213_091328904.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
I will more than likely just use the Tusks on the Honda as a road trip with 750cc beats the BMW screamer (but they were sort of free with the GS). Attatched is a photo of the Honda accessory top rack. The 2 pre formed holes are meant to mount a wire type tie down loop, but I may use them for the SW top mount--and yes the q/d twist locks will be very handy.
So I had a conversation today with one of the techs at Twisted Throttle and then ordered the Motech pro side racks. He told me that I was correct in thinking that the racks could easily be removed from the bike with the Tusk boxes still attached to the carriers utilizing the “quarter turn quick disconnect“ feature of the pro side racks In seconds. He said lots of guys just hard bolt the Tusk boxes to the side racks with 6mm bolts and remove them as described above.

I will report back once I receive the boxes and racks and install them. Pretty cost effective though....the boxes were $210 and the racks were $211 and both ship free with no sales tax. Bonus!

Installed mine last night and was impressed with the quality. I was able to keep my Honda top case rack and a bonus was that the pre-drilled holes in my Tusks already line up with the Motech racks. Will purchase some nylon spacers today and finish the job mounting the Tusks. Hint: Place a rag under the lifted seat before removing the spring and clip lest they fly away and disappear into the bowels of the bike.
Yes--one of the few to offer free shipping and no tax!

Installed mine last night and was impressed with the quality. I was able to keep my Honda top case rack and a bonus was that the pre-drilled holes in my Tusks already line up with the Motech racks. Will purchase some nylon spacers today and finish the job mounting the Tusks. Hint: Place a rag under the lifted seat before removing the spring and clip lest they fly away and disappear into the bowels of the bike.
Yes--one of the few to offer free shipping and no tax!
Bonus!

Thanks for the research and answers gents!!
I bought a set of large Tusks for my DRZ 400 but never used them so that may be a good use of them on the new 750 when it arrives. I was going to use the Givi's I have on my Bandit but this may be a better solution and less hassle and they are bigger...thanks to you folks.

Arkyleo,
I'm a retired Fed...Ride safe!!

Back