• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trunk Lock Recall

I wonder what changed with the 2014 model in regards to the frunk lock. Or I wonder if this may filter down to 2012 and 2013 eventually. There has been a post or two on here about frunk latch failures on the early models.

Seems the 2012 had one recall/campaign (chain), the 2013 had none, now the 2014 has 2. So much for holding off buying newly introduced models until the bugs are worked out.

Last edited:
My friend actually had a bad lock on his 750x he got several weeks before me. They changed it at no cost during the 1000km service. It was too tight and he had to push the lid down every time, all efforts to open the frunk with one hand led to key bending. Now it's fine.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the NC series cam chain tensioner. Even though the examples reported here have been statistically tiny, and haven't led to catastophic engine damage, one of the only two problems I've ever had with a Honda motorcycle in all my years of ownership, was a cam chain tensioner failure, resulting in engine kablooie. (the other problem was the constant stators dieing in my CX500Turbo)

Does this recall involve the key/lock assembly or the latch assembly?

I just added the emergency frunk opening cable that some have recommended. I could not see any part of the latch that looked as though it may be prone to failure. I have an S, and the key/lock is a little harder to get to, so I haven't yet looked at how it's built.

I wonder what changed with the 2014 model in regards to the frunk lock. Or I wonder if this may filter down to 2012 and 2013 eventually. There has been a post or two on here about frunk latch failures on the early models.

Seems the 2012 had one recall/campaign (chain), the 2013 had none, now the 2014 has 2. So much for holding off buying newly introduced models until the bugs are worked out.

The trunk lock itself is the same part number on the 2012 and 2014 models. ( 77239-GMS-D31). If it's the same part number there has been no changes to the part.
Reading the letter is is not clear which part or what the exact fix is. It could be the cable, cable holder or cable retention in the lock cyclinder ( time or TSB will tell)

On another note.......

2012-2013 NC were made in Japan.
Other posts regarding engine color and a few other things like the lock recall have come up on 2014/2015 models.
The CTX700 is manufactured in Thailand ( with a black engine). Has the NC700 production moved to Thailand ?????? And now some of those parts are now common to several models.
The CB500X is a Thailand production bike, as side note.

It is possible that the 2014 was produced in both or multiple locations..........the only way to tell is check the VIN plate and white DOT tag.

Last edited:
The 2014 NC I have is made in Japan. The lock failed once before, but was replaced under warranty. The dealer told me I had a large bag in the frunk that caused upward pressure on the lid, so when I tried to open it, the lock broke. For the record the bag was not large and did not abuse the frunk. The lock/latch mechanism was hard plastic (instead of metal).

Honda had to be called and authorized a replacement under warranty. This is a significant weakness in the NC, versus most bikes which have a way to fill gas and ride without an overly complicated mechanism with multiple failure points, and without having to hop off to fill gas.

I will call the dealer and find out what the fix or recall is going to do, hopefully they are doing something that adds an emergency open mechanism.

Honda had to be called and authorized a replacement under warranty. This is a significant weakness in the NC, versus most bikes which have a way to fill gas and ride without an overly complicated mechanism with multiple failure points, and without having to hop off to fill gas.

Isn't a bad idea to fill without hopping off anyway? Setting oneself on fire and such.

I'm sure this is/was the exact same part Dale (HondaBikePro) posted about with pictures long ago? I would be irked if there was *another* plastic bit in there to go :kerblooie: lol

Alas, I think all the nice pictures Dale took are gone from photobucket or whatever place they were hosted at. :(

Did anyone here save the pictures to their computer I wonder? I can't recall if I did or not.

Apparently this only affects a certain VIN range, I got the combo display unit changed today and told them about the frunk latch letter I had seen here. They looked into it and my bike's VIN falls outside of the bulletin, they had 3-4 pages of steps they need to do to replace it, just looking at the pictures it seems they are replacing most of that assembly.

Had my display recall performed, and my VIN did not qualify for the frunk lock recall. It is only for certain VIN numbers due to a faulty run of parts. Not all 2014 models are affected with the frunk lock recall, but all are affected by the display recall. Just to appease my curiosity, I looked up the part numbers for the lock being replaced and the number is the same for all model years, 2012-2015. Because of that I believe my dealer, because the 2015 models would have had a different part number otherwise. Never had one issue with my lock either.

My 2012 NC700x just had it's frunk lock fail. It's exactly as described in the recall - it'll lock, but won't open once you turn the key, definitely can feel the plastic knob slipping when you turn the key.

Maybe I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow to ask if they know the 2012s are under warranty - otherwise I'm gonna have to just order a replacement assembly and fix it myself.

I had my lock recall done by the dealer yesterday. They had the part in stock a few days after I purchased my bike. It took me a couple months to find the time to take it in. I had no problems before I took it in. Other than the short lived rear tire, I love this bike!

Mine was replaced under warranty by the dealer the week after I bought mine last year, when it refused to open. The key would turn but no release.

My 2012 NC700x just had it's frunk lock fail. It's exactly as described in the recall - it'll lock, but won't open once you turn the key, definitely can feel the plastic knob slipping when you turn the key.

Maybe I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow to ask if they know the 2012s are under warranty - otherwise I'm gonna have to just order a replacement assembly and fix it myself.

What was the result of your call to the dealer?

Had my display recall performed, and my VIN did not qualify for the frunk lock recall. It is only for certain VIN numbers due to a faulty run of parts. Not all 2014 models are affected with the frunk lock recall, but all are affected by the display recall. Just to appease my curiosity, I looked up the part numbers for the lock being replaced and the number is the same for all model years, 2012-2015. Because of that I believe my dealer, because the 2015 models would have had a different part number otherwise. Never had one issue with my lock either.

ALL 2014s?
Ouch! My son just bought a new 2014 model. I wonder if the dealer did it before it was sold?????

Back