• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Traveling with the bike, not on it.

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For many years Cathy and I have been hauling dirt bikes out to ride and camping in the travel trailer. Once I bought the DS bikes I started getting everything needed to camp off those bikes. Once I bought the NC and the CB I adjusted the camping gear for these bikes. I like the camping off the bikes but I like the travel trailer also. I even thought of getting rid of the trailer and just camping off the bikes. Cathy, being much wiser then I suggested that this was not a good idea. We just got back from a 10 day trip to Utah and I must admit Cathy is right, I am not ready to stop using the trailer.

To take the NC and CB which both weigh over 400 pounds we had to get them in the back of my 2004 Dodge Ram 1 ton 4x4 pickup. Running the bikes up a ramp under the bikes power provides some problems as demonstrated in one of the threads here. Ramps are spit out if not attached to the gate of the truck. With both of us in our sixties pushing the bikes up the ramp into the truck especially when we can't find an ideal place to park the truck to get the gate lower. As I get older I don't think it will get any easier. I decided to use an 12v ATV winch mounted in the truck to help get the bikes in the truck.

001.jpg

Instead of hard wiring the winch to the truck I decided to use a separate battery which is in the ammo box. The battery charger, remote control for the winch, wrench, bolts and rope slings all fit in the box.
004.jpg

I made the slings out of some soft rope and attach them to the fork legs which hooks into the cable.
003.jpg

005.jpg

The winch system worked perfectly on our trip and by just having to keep the bike upright going up and down the ramp it can not be any easier or safer.

Taking the trailer with bikes in the truck opens up many other activities we enjoy while on the road. And it did keep us dry on the drive to Provo Utah during the storm that washed out the 15 freeway and route 191/6. We are also able to carry items for other activities we enjoy.

016.jpg

I like sleeping in my own bed and having other conveniences are nice. The shower and bathroom with you where ever you go is nice. And this is not bad either.
011.jpg

Once the bikes are off loaded we can be more selective of where and when we ride.
009.jpg

001.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

We are also able to carry more then one set of riding gear. The gear above is for cooler weather and the gear below is for warm climates.
IMG_2213.jpg

I guess this makes me soft core as far as being a motorcyclist. But I can live with it, in comfort. Having the trailer does present it's own problems though. The U-bracket which holds the rear leaf spring broke on the drive from Denver to Provo. Since I am a retired steamfitter and a fair welder and having friends and family in Provo with the equipment to fix the trailer. I was able to fix it in less than an hour. Now with the trailer I wonder if I should bring my generator and welder with me next trip?

Hopefully traveling like this will let us keep enjoying the bikes and travels for many more years to come.

i don't see it as soft at all. I see it as a way to get you and your bikes where you want to be, and more able to enjoy it.

You're not soft core. Like you said, you sleep in your own bed and you have your bike(s) where you want to ride. If you just rode your bikes to the destination, then you wouldn't have your camper to stay in.

Last edited:
I had to sell my 1977 Trillium I had all solar powered (except the AC) due to divorce. I'm not into my 60's yet - but darned close!-
I think you're smart not soft!

Sounds like you've found a nice way to travel and enjoy riding at the same time. Nothing wrong with that. We used to camp when we traveled as a family. But now that the kids are grown and I'm in my mid 60's I stay in motels when I travel. After a day of riding a nice shower and good bed are welcome. I'm keeping my backpack, though, just in case the camping urge hits me again.

Back