• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Traded my bike in

Big Thump

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided it was time to downsize the bikes in my garage, and struck a deal with my dealer on a 2014 Vstrom Adventure DL1000. They offered me a great trade in value on my Honda NC which sweetened the deal. Although I loved the Honda, I really wanted the new Strom so, I did the deed.
The Honda is a great bike and if asked, I will give my honest opinion on it's virtues. I'm a new bike addict and there is no cure. I made good friends on this forum. Thanks for sharing some great reading, and I will check back to see what is going on from time-to-time. Ride safe and long.
BigThump

:confused: How is going from a 700 to a 1000 considered "downsizing"?

I think he means reducing the number of bikes in his garage.

As for the DL1000. It's a sweet ride. I sat on one at a motorcycle show along with the NC and man that a big bike. Short inseam people need not apply.

Enjoy your new ride. I did spend a year on the V-Strom forum considering buying one. Interesting the talk between the 1000 and 650. Quite a few moved from 1000 to 650 for a lighter bike with plenty of capability.

Good luck with the new bike and I fully understand the "new bike" addiction. I rarely keep a bike over three years. Seem to have the same problem with cars. It is a nice looking bike and I imagine the extra power will feel good. Best of luck!

Thanks all! Actually, the bike looks huge but handles very well. Not NC700X kind of lightweight handling but power pick up and turn in is excellent. For a height comparison, I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Not a problem on this bike the way the seat is made. Very comfortable long distance riding (main reason I bought the bike). I lost a lot of storage space, so I must have a trunk soon! I didn't really want to get rid of the Honda, but since it was paid off and the dealer offered me a three bike deal, to help clean my garage out, I went for it.

The new Vstrom 1000 is fantastic and would be on my short list if I was looking to replace the NC. The new 650 with that God-awful beak is the ugliest thing on the road. Doesn't fit the new styling of the 1000, it looks like they threw it on as an afterthought. I think the old 1000 had hydraulic valves, so you may not have to go through the Vstrom's nightmare valve adjustment. Great bike.

The new Vstrom 1000 is fantastic and would be on my short list if I was looking to replace the NC. The new 650 with that God-awful beak is the ugliest thing on the road. Doesn't fit the new styling of the 1000, it looks like they threw it on as an afterthought. I think the old 1000 had hydraulic valves, so you may not have to go through the Vstrom's nightmare valve adjustment. Great bike.

You don't adjust hydraulic valves. That is why they are hydraulic, they adjust themselves with oil pressure. I'm guessing you HOPED it had hydraulic, because the old DL1000 had shims that you need to replace, which, yes, is a pain.

Last edited:
You don't adjust hydraulic valves. That is why they are hydraulic, they adjust themselves with oil pressure. I'm guessing you HOPED it had hydraulic, because the old DL1000 had shims that you need to replace, which, yes, is a pain.
I owned a 2003 V-Strom for 4 years. The valves needed to be adjusted per mileage. No hydraulic lifters, it was a pain as compared to the NC700.
I traded my 1000cc Strom for a 650cc Strom. A major improvement in all areas.
I like the new 2015 Strom 650 XT model, It is available with spoked wheels in the true dual sport model motif.

I like the new 2015 Strom 650 XT model, It is available with spoked wheels in the true dual sport model motif.
That sound really good! One of main reasons I got my NC over the Wee-Strom was that I could adjust the valves on the NC. Never done the shim/bucket type.
Still, sometimes, I think about the Strom...then I look at my fuelly and everythings good in the NC world with me.

I hope you like the Strom.I wanted one but they are to tall for me.I have been eyeing the new scrambler ,and waiting for it to come out,but I will keep my nc also.one bike is never enough.

Congratulations Thump. I gathered from the Third Annual FL RTE that you might be getting a new bike soon......your lovely bride told me it would be my fault if you did.

Are you suffering from "frunk withdrawal?" Of all the things I liked about my departed 700X the frunk takes top honors. I've done two 350-400 mile days on the Tiger now and miss the heck out of the frunk. Immensely practical.

Enjoy the new Strom.

She knows me well and that was the first thing she said to me "You're going to miss that Frunk"! Yea, I am totally blaming you Dave! I went to buy beer the other day on the way home from work, and when I went to throw it in the Frunk, it wasn't there! I had to open the box and split the bottles between both bags. Damn that Honda for spoiling me!

Congratulations Thump. I gathered from the Third Annual FL RTE that you might be getting a new bike soon......your lovely bride told me it would be my fault if you did.

Are you suffering from "frunk withdrawal?" Of all the things I liked about my departed 700X the frunk takes top honors. I've done two 350-400 mile days on the Tiger now and miss the heck out of the frunk. Immensely practical.

Enjoy the new Strom.

Since you made the move to the Tiger, what has been the benefits that you have had making the move. Was the X just too tame for your riding style? Thanks

Back