Traction Control

K.E. Bear

Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry for being so new at this but I was wondering when I should use the traction control and when I should turn it off. I just got my NC750X DCT/ABS after riding a 17 year old Harley that had no special features whatsoever. I mostly use the new bike to commute and get around town with weekend trips on twisty roads. Do I use traction on the freeway? When its wet or gravel on the road? Not sure how best to use this feature.

Griff

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tbh I never felt the need for TC on any of my motorbikes. I had it on my former Triumph 1200 Explorer and while it was switched on most of the time by default, it only ever intervened when I deliberately provoked it to do so. It is currently one of the features available on my Strom in two levels. As such in dry weather I leave it switched off. So when do I use it ? If I am travelling in the wet then I have it switched on at the lower level of intervention. At the moment in this area the back roads that I frequent are greasy and slippery with muddy sections, and in such conditions I have it on the higher level of intervention. Do I need it ? No, but given that it is there then I might as well.

CapeMan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry for being so new at this but I was wondering when I should use the traction control and when I should turn it off. I just got my NC750X DCT/ABS after riding a 17 year old Harley that had no special features whatsoever. I mostly use the new bike to commute and get around town with weekend trips on twisty roads. Do I use traction on the freeway? When its wet or gravel on the road? Not sure how best to use this feature.
I normally just leave the traction control at its default setting when riding on pavement. I don't think I've ever noticed it kick in there but I'm a pretty conservatives rider (and we're in a drought so I can't try it in the rain). I suspect that in marginal traction conditions on pavement it's a handy option to just help keep things under control.

Off road, particularly on an uphill gravel road that's heavily wash-boarded, the default setting is worse than useless. Every time the rear wheel takes a hop and lands back down on some loose gravel, the TC kicks in and the engine cuts back so it becomes a bounce-lurch-bounce-lurch fest. So whenever I'm riding gravel, I usually just cut the TC back to the lower setting. And if I see that I'm gonna be going up a steep and bouncy gravel hill, I like to turn the TC off.

potter0o

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never used it on a motorcycle but used it on a Mustang. I kept it on most of the time. I turned it off when I needed the wheels to spin a bit like if I were stuck in snow and need a bit of spin and rocking action to get out.