• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Total biker newbie - got myself in trouble

VersusAllOdds

Reaction score
Visit site
I spent the last 20 minutes writing a post, after spending at least 20 min around my bike...

I need someone to tell me urgently: how do I check oil? I've read the manual, I know how, so actually my question is:

Do I check oil with my bike leaning on it's side stand (or to the left)?
Or, do I check oil with my bike standing exactly vertically?

Done both, in former case, my oil is just below minimum, in the latter it's at maximum... on a side note, I haven't screwed the pin back in upon checking it, just put it back in.

Thanks in advance, I need this answer urgently, so I know where next to go with the complications I have with my bike lately... more to come :)

From the Owner's Manual:
Checking the Engine Oil
1. If the engine is cold, idle the engine for 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Turn the ignition switch off, stop the engine and wait 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Place your motorcycle in an upright position on a firm, level surface.
4. Remove the oil fill cap/dipstick and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the oil fill cap/dipstick until it seats, but don’t screw it in. Check that the oil level is between the upper and lower level marks in the oil fill cap/dipstick.
6. Securely install the oil fill cap/dipstick.

The manual says upright, which means perfectly vertical, not on the side stand.

Thanks to the both of you... now I know that I didn't ruin my engine by running it with a lack of oil...

To the mods - please delete this topic.

oil surface tension works great. I remove dipstick. Wipe clean. Insert, then pull bike upright for a few seconds. Let it back down on the side stand. Remove dip stick and check oil. There is enough surface tension for an accurate reading.

oil surface tension works great. I remove dipstick. Wipe clean. Insert, then pull bike upright for a few seconds. Let it back down on the side stand. Remove dip stick and check oil. There is enough surface tension for an accurate reading.

This is a great tip. One of those common-sense things that you only think about after you do it - thanks!

IMO, your oil level is too high, because after a warmup, your oil level will only go higher and your already at max.

I spent the last 20 minutes writing a post, after spending at least 20 min around my bike...

I need someone to tell me urgently: how do I check oil? I've read the manual, I know how, so actually my question is:

Do I check oil with my bike leaning on it's side stand (or to the left)?
Or, do I check oil with my bike standing exactly vertically?

Done both, in former case, my oil is just below minimum, in the latter it's at maximum... on a side note, I haven't screwed the pin back in upon checking it, just put it back in.

Thanks in advance, I need this answer urgently, so I know where next to go with the complications I have with my bike lately... more to come :)

Remember, proper procedure: start bike, let run 3-5 minutes, turn off, wait 1 minute. Check with bike vertical (not on side stand). Checking while cold or after a ride is incorrect procedure and will produce incorrect results....

This is not the space shuttle........alittle above or alittle below the max line is NOT going to make any difference. Same with the temperature of the engine or the temperature of the oil. Yes it’s going going vary slightly with temperature. If you don’t have a center stand the vertical judgement is going to play a factor in the exact measurement.

Last edited:
I can say though on my ATV if I check it cold it's barely on the stick, if I warm it up it's right where it's suppose to be. So it does seem to make a difference at least on that machine. Haven't checked the NC700X yet to see how much it makes a difference on that one.

Remember, proper procedure: start bike, let run 3-5 minutes, turn off, wait 1 minute. Check with bike vertical (not on side stand). Checking while cold or after a ride is incorrect procedure and will produce incorrect results....

I agree. But if the weather is constantly sunny, and it's around 45 degrees in the shade (around 110F), I considered warm-up not to be required.

IMO, your oil level is too high, because after a warmup, your oil level will only go higher and your already at max.

It might have depended on a friend's position - he was sitting on the biking and keeping it vertical, while I was measuring.

You could have found the answer by searching this site before posting - FYI

I agree, I was however very anxious and nervous thinking I've been an idiot who's ruined he's bike due to no oil... so I wanted to get an immediate answer. Thanks anyway.

The manual says upright, which means perfectly vertical, not on the side stand.

Yeah, you're right. I've read the manual prior my measuring, but I wanted to know the clear definition of "upright". Using the word "vertical" would've been much helpful.

As I've previously stated, this thread is kinda obsolete... I was in a rush, therefore didn't search, and 670cc gave me a clear answer. I thought the no-oil might've been the cause of my real problem, described here: Incredibly annoying buzzing, high-frequency vibration recently appeared . But, given that because nobody responded to that thread, nobody can relate... I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer (who's only ability is to replace a part and charge you for it). Too bad :/

Back